3lb Pork Shoulder Roast/Steak question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

3lb Pork Shoulder Roast/Steak question

Postby uttexas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:55 am

I bought a 3lb bone in pork shoulder steak yesterday (price was right). It's basically part of the shoulder with part of the scapula bone in and fat cap removed. I'd like to smoke it. Considering the lack of fat cap and leaner appearance of the meat, I figured I'd smoke it around 300* on the bottom rack of my wsm with some bacon on the top rack to drip fat onto it while it cooks. Let me know if my thinking is wrong or if you have advice. My concern with low and slow without a fat cap would be drying out the meat.
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill
BBQ Galore 3 burner
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Re: 3lb Pork Shoulder Roast/Steak question

Postby uttexas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 am

Done some more reading. Looks like some have success going at 220-250* and using a 2-2-1 method. Wish I could post a pic of the raw meat. It's not thin, like a pork chop--it's 3 inches thick and 8 inches wide, sort of looks like a quarter of small pork shoulder with no fat cap. The label on the package says "pork shoulder roast"
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
BBQ Galore 3 burner
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 am

I think I would brine for 12-24 hours, cut a nice slit in it and stuff with some Italian sausage (or your favorite), give it a good sear over high heat (maybe 90 seconds a side and rotating after 45 seconds), then go low and slow till 140 internal temp, tent for 15 minutes and get out of the way when you slice. The crumb snatchers will be all over it. Works well without the sausage stuffing too.

This is what I mean by rotating after 45 seconds over high heat. Gets the Maillard browning reaction going which adds flavor and helps sear in the juices and the diamond shaped sear marks are cool too. :lol:
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 am

Man, that looks awesome, brining it is a great idea. I do have some boudin, goat cheese, and some garlic gloves I could stuff it with, the Italian sausage would probably work better. I'll post some pics (smoking it tomorrow)
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
BBQ Galore 3 burner
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:05 pm

140° internal seems a bit on low side. I've always thought that fresh pork sausage needs to be brought to 155°, (some say 160°). Do you think the sausage should be pre-cooked prior to stuffing?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:17 pm

If there is a concern on the sausage, either cook before stuffing or leave it out.

If the sausage is stuffed raw then taken to 160, the pork will be in the 170s and dry.

I personally wouldn't have an issue with the sausage pulled at 140 and tented for 15 minutes - will carry over to 145 for sure.

But the more think about it, I would leave it out so the outer reaches of the pork won't dry out.

My dos centavos :D
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Currently brining the pork roast/shoulder. I underestimated weight: it's 4.6 lbs and has more visible fat on it now that it's out of the packaging.

LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
BBQ Galore 3 burner
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:29 am

uttexas wrote:Currently brining the pork roast/shoulder. I underestimated weight: it's 4.6 lbs and has more visible fat on it now that it's out of the packaging.

In that case, I would put my favorite rub, dial in 250 on your pit and take it to pulling temps. Maybe 10 hours or so but let the pork do the talking.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks, I have the feeling the leaner parts will be good for slicing at 160 and the fattier bits going to 200 for pulling. Decided to smoke some ribs on the rack above to make up for the lack of fat cap.
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
BBQ Galore 3 burner
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Just took it off the smoker--ran it at 250 with some apple wood. It was probe tender and bone wiggled easily at 190 internal. Currently resting in foil/towels/cooler. I'll pull it tonight into ziplock bags.

LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
BBQ Galore 3 burner
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:25 am

Update--Man, this turned out great. Some of the best pulled pork I've had--less fatty than a full butt with fat cap; more of a smokey pork taste with less of a melted fat flavor.
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
BBQ Galore 3 burner

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”