Need some assistance on drying some sausage!

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Need some assistance on drying some sausage!

Postby Txdragon » Thu May 24, 2012 5:34 pm

I will be attempting my first batch of dried sausage very soon. I am looking for a few pointers on pork/beef ratios mainly, but the temps I need to look for. I don't have an extra fridge or anything, but My little storeroom stays fairly cool, even during warmer days, it's usually around 75 deg in there in mid-day heat. I have a couple fans I can use for circulation, and if anything else, I do have an extra bathroom that nobody really uses (if the storeroom would be too warm) I could hang them in there with a fan going. It stays nice and cool in that bathroom (because nobody uses it, the door stays closed and there is an A/C vent as well. Anyhow.. Am I setting myself up for failure here? Any advice is welcomed! Thanks in advance! 8)
(Insert witty signature here)
david s USER_AVATAR
David S
Rustler

Re: Need some assistance on drying some sausage!

Postby David S » Thu May 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Are you looking to make the traditional fermented sausages (salami, pepperoni, etc) or something a little smaller?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu May 24, 2012 7:38 pm

David S wrote:Are you looking to make the traditional fermented sausages (salami, pepperoni, etc) or something a little smaller?

No. Just your run-of-the-mill dried smokehouse sausage..
david s USER_AVATAR
David S
Rustler

Postby David S » Fri May 25, 2012 3:36 pm

The setup that I think you are describing does not really sound appropriate. It sounds like you want to dry your sausage at about room temperature (with increased air circulation to help). The only way I would do this if I added a starter culture to drop the pH.

If you were hot smoking (200F) then the cure is plenty of protection as you would get to an internal temp of 150 within a few hours.

Drying at room temp will probably take at least a week and without the added protection offered by lowered pH I really wouldn't try this.

I am not trying to be a hater. Anyone else see this different?

Just an idea, the conditions you are describing might be perfect for dry curing a pork tenderloin. Since this deals with a whole cut of meat it is inherently cleaner and safer. Here is a post I did on the topic a while ago..
http://www.porktenderloin.org/dry-cured/
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri May 25, 2012 9:50 pm

David S wrote:The setup that I think you are describing does not really sound appropriate. It sounds like you want to dry your sausage at about room temperature (with increased air circulation to help). The only way I would do this if I added a starter culture to drop the pH.

If you were hot smoking (200F) then the cure is plenty of protection as you would get to an internal temp of 150 within a few hours.

Drying at room temp will probably take at least a week and without the added protection offered by lowered pH I really wouldn't try this.

I am not trying to be a hater. Anyone else see this different?

Just an idea, the conditions you are describing might be perfect for dry curing a pork tenderloin. Since this deals with a whole cut of meat it is inherently cleaner and safer. Here is a post I did on the topic a while ago..
http://www.porktenderloin.org/dry-cured/" target="_blank

That looks like a nifty project I'd like to try.

The tips for the sausage, just what I am looking for, you aren't a hater, you are only steering me in a better direction!
So a good hot smoke, much like bacon, would do ok before hanging the sausage up?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:13 pm

David S posted some great advice. A cure will stop the botulism beasties but other nasties could still be present that you don't want to eat if the sausage is left at room temp for days, weeks or months.

As to dry/semidry sausage, my reference states (after cold smoking) that when drying sausage, the sausage must be kept below 40° until its lost 35% to 45% of its moisture. This can take up to 6 months. I know some folks do it at room temp.. but why tempt :puke: :potty: fate?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
br1006
Pilgrim

Postby br1006 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:35 pm

I make 100# of dried sausage every year but it is way too warm to do it right now!

I use a 60 / 40 mix of venison or beef to pork and use lean pork butts. season however you like but you must use some cure. I generally put a cold smoke on it for a few hours and then close the smoke house up and put a fan in there for circulation. I have a smokehouse outside I use that has a vent near the top and one at the bottom as well on the opposite side. Generally do it the week before superbowl and depending on ho humid it is it generally takes abotu a week to 10 days to try before I vacuum seal it. main thing is do not have any links touching when hanging or you will get mold!

Good luck!
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:28 am

you also need high humidity while drying >80%. Otherwise you will get case hardening and the center won't dry.
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”