First time injecting....

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Hatch
Pilgrim

First time injecting....

Postby Hatch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:44 pm

And my brisket turned out tough with no smoke ring. The brisket had really good flavor throughout the entire thing but was kinda tough. What's weird about this is I did the poke test and it seemed to be good to go and made sure that I tested it in multiple places. Then when I started slicing it just turned bad! And I was at comp.. Good thing I cooked 2

Did I just get a weird/bad brisket possibly!? Also I injected meat side and coked it fat side up. Maybe I just made puncture holes so it dried out?

What are yalls thoughts.

-Chris
Chris Hatcher
Chat -N- Choo BBQ
R&O Smokers
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: First time injecting....

Postby limey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:29 pm

How did you cook your second brisket and did it turn out better?
Probably gonna start the fat up or down debate again but I cook fat down. :argue:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
Hatch
Pilgrim

Postby Hatch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:35 pm

I cooked it the same way as the other but just didn't have a smoke ring either. I was using redoak and hickory as my fuel source.

Haha that's a very easy thing to get started
Chris Hatcher
Chat -N- Choo BBQ
R&O Smokers
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 pm

You did not say what the injection was? Home made or ? Last three cooks my briskets cooked to 195 my normal pull off time and were tough. This past weekend at a cook off I ran them to 210 and they sat there for at least 30 minutes maybe 45+, had to keep poking and double checking thinking my redi check thermos were screwed up. Finally pulled them and rested for 1 1/2 hours, they were perfectly wonderful and tender but not falling apart at all. checked my redi's today in boiling water and they were spot on.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
Hatch
Pilgrim

Postby Hatch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:39 pm

I injected using copycat.
Chris Hatcher
Chat -N- Choo BBQ
R&O Smokers
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:25 pm

I've injected the *$%# out of mine and have never had a problem with them drying out due to too many injection holes. Now maybe if you injected it mid-way thru the cooking process. Did you slice it perpendicular to the grain? ... I'd say get a meat thermometer to be on the safe side, run it up to about 195-200 then start doing the poke test. Atleast this way you know you are in the general area of it being done. Rather than "thinking" you're getting there and having the internal temp at something like 180.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 am

IMO, I think if you cooked it fat side up, it could be possible you lost some injection. I also agree with jtilk, it's a good idea to use a meat therm. to monitor progress. I also try to poke in the same general location in the thickest part of the flat to check for tenderness. Lack of smoke ring could be not enough salt in your rub. How did you place?
Hatch
Pilgrim

Postby Hatch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:55 am

I've never used temp to check the Donness on a brisket since I have been cooking. Guess I might need to change that though.

My rub was really fresh. Could it be from running a really clean fire? This was the first time I have never at least made final table.
Chris Hatcher
Chat -N- Choo BBQ
R&O Smokers
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:23 am

I also use th poke test in th flat......lack of smoke ring can be multiple things, not smoked long enough before wrapping.....salt or lack of doesn't affect smoke ring...........clean fire will still produce a ring....may be lighter in color.......what wood were you using......oak, mesquite produce a darker ring than hickory , pecan does......imho.....
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
Hatch
Pilgrim

Postby Hatch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:46 am

I usually never wrap my briskest until I pull them off to rest so it smoked for 12 hours or so. I usually start the poke test around 8 hours, that's the earliest ill start peaking at them. I was using a combo of redoak and hickory.
Chris Hatcher
Chat -N- Choo BBQ
R&O Smokers
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 pm

Interesting read about smoke rings:
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot ... rings.html

I use Bubba kegs which are similar to big green eggs/ceramic cookers. I've read that lots of briskets and other hunks of meat that come off these cookers often don't have a smoke ring or hardly any at all. These cookers are pretty stingy with smoke and most of us use lump fuel. I've cooked briskets that ended up with smoke rings and some w/out. I'm feeling pretty confident that when I put a light layer of salt before my rub and allow the brisket to rest in the fridge for a couple hours before it goes directly on the smoker, I will end up with a slight smoke ring. There is also a rub I sometimes used that has sodium nitrates (made by John Henry) in it that I will also end up with a smoke ring. I honestly don't remember what rub I used on this brisket but you can see the thin smoke ring. BTW this brisket was injected w/copycat and came out good although the texture was a bit off. I typically use oak wood chunks mixed in with my lump.

Now my understanding is that judges are "supposed" to ignore smoke rings, but I think it helps a brisket look more appetizing which could lead to higher scores.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Hatch wrote:I usually never wrap my briskest until I pull them off to rest so it smoked for 12 hours or so. I usually start the poke test around 8 hours, that's the earliest ill start peaking at them. I was using a combo of redoak and hickory.

Well I cook briskets a total of about six hrs....wrap after 3.... :dont:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
Hatch
Pilgrim

Postby Hatch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Guess its time to take a redneck class! Lol
Chris Hatcher
Chat -N- Choo BBQ
R&O Smokers
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:09 pm

I don't think the injection had anything to do with not forming a smoke ring. There are many factors in the formation of the smoke ring but the long and the short of it is, a smoke ring is just a chemical reaction between the nitrogen dioxide (nitrogen from the burning wood mixed with the oxygen) and the amino acids in the meat. Nitrates in the meat seem to react alot more in the Nitrogen Dioxide. Hence, when you have a dry rub with a higher salt content, you usually have a deeper red smoke ring. Hope that helps.
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
critter01
Pilgrim

Postby critter01 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:51 am

It is possible lthat you just got a bad Brisket, it has happened to me and also if your dampers are opened too much during the smoking time you may have blown your smoke right out of the smoker,hence the lack of smoke color, I tell people if your using a fan(guru,etc.) also be careful, the same thing can happen.
Carole

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”