Old Smokey Electric Smoker

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gcfranklin
Pilgrim

Old Smokey Electric Smoker

Postby gcfranklin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:13 pm

I'm getting up in age and recently moved into a townhouse in Austin. Currently there is a burn ban in effect, but on top of that I would not feel safe using a charcoal smoker or grill on our patio. Any future smoking of briskets, butts, ribs, etc. will have to be done on my gas grill or in an electric smoker. Have any of you used a small electric smoker, such as an Old Smokey electric smoker? If so, how would you rate the the barbecue that it will produce? Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Old Smokey Electric Smoker

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:00 pm

sorry Im no help....never used one...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:10 am

My dad had an electric ECB and I had a neighbor who used an ECB in conjuction with an electric charcoal starter. The later used a chunk of hardwood from time to time and the former used hardwood sawdust. They seemed happy with their respective results.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 am

A good friend of mine uses the Cajun Injector Electric Smoker (http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... =578824977). He puts out pretty decent que. He likes to brag about the amount of sleep he gets. The only complaint I've had when trying it is that the smoke flavor is not as pronounced because he has to use the chips.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
danger831 USER_AVATAR
danger831
Rustler

Postby danger831 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:36 am

I have used the old smokey smoker with some success I was very excited to try one when I saw them (I'm a big fan of the old smokey grill ) But after using it a few times I came to the conclusion it is to sealed up the meat more steams than smokes and because of that cooks very fast with no bark formation and a steamed texture to get around this I have tried cracking the lid and that has helped some. I have a cookshack that does a better job but is allot more money.If I were you I would build a UDS they seem as safe or safer than most electric smokers.
gcfranklin
Pilgrim

Postby gcfranklin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:53 am

I've been reading what I can find on the internet about electric and gas smokers. One review said a pork butt doesn't do very well in an electric, can't get a good crust/bark, and the taste is different. Says smoke just lays on top, does not penetrate into the meat. His opinion was that gas does a better job of smoking than electric. I'll keep reading, but all comments are welcome and appreciated.
gcfranklin
Pilgrim

Postby gcfranklin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:57 am

What you said squares with other things I've been reading. Thanks for the reply.
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:11 pm

I have an older model of the electric Old Smokey called the Redi Smok.

I like it for times when the weather doesn't permit fire building or times when I am just too lazy. Works fine for me.

Stan
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”