brisket finished in oven: taboo or good way to get sleep?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pulehuboy USER_AVATAR
pulehuboy
Pilgrim

brisket finished in oven: taboo or good way to get sleep?

Postby pulehuboy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm about to attempt my first brisket at home. Always wanted to do this, but the cooking time always prevented me from doing this right. I've read that some have smoked it for 5-6 hours, then wrapped it in foil and into the home oven it goes for another 6 hours at 225degrees till proper IT is reached. I know this may not be popular with the purist, but it seems the logical approach especially when time is limited, sleep is needed, and no one else is there to tend to the fire. Is this a good method? Or does it take away from its full potential to become a quality finished product? I'd definitely do a hardcore overnighter in the pit if I had the time, but I don't always have that luxury. Anyone have good results with this method?
"Boil rice, not ribs!"

Dave Lauro, from the Big Island of Hawai'i
http://twitter.com/wika2
rawsnacks
Pilgrim

Re: brisket finished in oven: taboo or good way to get sleep?

Postby rawsnacks » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Yup, lots of success. Do briskets really need more than 5 or 6 hours of smoke? Mine don't. And if you're just holding your meat in a smoke-less smoker for another 10 hours, what's the different between that and an oven?
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:26 pm

I've finished in an oven more than once...
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Why not just cook hot and fast like 300° and be done in 5-6 hrs?
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:32 pm

How big a brisket are you cooking? A trimmed 6-8 pounder will be done by supper if you put it on at 8 AM.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:20 pm

I can cook a 10lb brisket in 5-6 hrs, and i will never finish one in th oven
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
pulehuboy USER_AVATAR
pulehuboy
Pilgrim

Postby pulehuboy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 pm

This is great. I can plan better now. I think the pieces they have trim down to around 10lbs. Let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the advice!
"Boil rice, not ribs!"

rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:55 pm

Go ahead and do it, works for me many many times but I finish it at 200, remember that there is no air flow or draft in the oven so it actually cooks quicker there than outside so check your internal temp on the meat and pull it accordingly.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
harry verdurchi USER_AVATAR
Harry Verdurchi
Rustler

Postby Harry Verdurchi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:03 am

If you are in a big hurry and don't care how it turns out you can douse it with liquid smoke and put it in a Pressure cooker at 10 psi for an hour and and a half and its done . Just add some packaged Gravy and some instant potatoes and you have have a whole meal. Why take the time to do it right when you can cook it FAST . Smoke Flavored Roast Beef Yumm Yumm!!!!!
I think I saw this on one of Martha Stewart's old Shows and she is Famous Here in Texas for her BBQ Recipes.
Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I got First Place in Every Cook Off I ever Entered.
But the Judges most of the Time Gave the Prizes to Someone Else
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:14 am

I prep and wrap in Saran the night before. Get up at zero=dark-thirty, light the pit, make coffee, throw the hunk of meat on. Nearly always done by supper time.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 am

Harry Verdurchi wrote:If you are in a big hurry and don't care how it turns out you can douse it with liquid smoke and put it in a Pressure cooker at 10 psi for an hour and and a half and its done . Just add some packaged Gravy and some instant potatoes and you have have a whole meal. Why take the time to do it right when you can cook it FAST . Smoke Flavored Roast Beef Yumm Yumm!!!!!
I think I saw this on one of Martha Stewart's old Shows and she is Famous Here in Texas for her BBQ Recipes.
:violent: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:01 am

Harry Verdurchi wrote:If you are in a big hurry and don't care how it turns out you can douse it with liquid smoke and put it in a Pressure cooker at 10 psi for an hour and and a half and its done . Just add some packaged Gravy and some instant potatoes and you have have a whole meal. Why take the time to do it right when you can cook it FAST . Smoke Flavored Roast Beef Yumm Yumm!!!!!

Awe man! Where's the smoke ring?
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:06 am

DATsBBQ wrote:I prep and wrap in Saran the night before. Get up at zero=dark-thirty, light the pit, make coffee, throw the hunk of meat on. Nearly always done by supper time.

That works great if your home and have the time to baby sit the fire all day. Now what if you want to eat it for brunch?

Had a Treager pellet grill for a while, now that was awesome, put the meat on, fill the chute and go to work. Get home ten hours later and slice; or put it in at night and wake up to a moist delicious juicy brisket for breakfast, awe man yum yum. Wish I had never sold that thing, hmmm is it past fathers day yet?
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:35 am

Oven works great - better in the winter time though so you don't heat up the house. I'll stick the Maverick probe in the meat - run the wire to the outside of the oven and hook it to the transmitter. Sleep till the alarm goes off at 195* and start doing the poke test. The foil stays cleaner too. Be sure an put a sheet pan under it or triple wrap - sugary drippings don't play well with oven interiors. :argh:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
pulehuboy USER_AVATAR
pulehuboy
Pilgrim

Postby pulehuboy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:49 pm

RWBTEX wrote:Go ahead and do it, works for me many many times but I finish it at 200, remember that there is no air flow or draft in the oven so it actually cooks quicker there than outside so check your internal temp on the meat and pull it accordingly.
Good point. I may need to probe it while I nap. Don't want the thing to fall apart.

Harry Verdurchi wrote:If you are in a big hurry and don't care how it turns out you can douse it with liquid smoke and put it in a Pressure cooker at 10 psi for an hour and and a half and its done . Just add some packaged Gravy and some instant potatoes and you have have a whole meal. Why take the time to do it right when you can cook it FAST . Smoke Flavored Roast Beef Yumm Yumm!!!!! I think I saw this on one of Martha Stewart's old Shows and she is Famous Here in Texas for her BBQ Recipes.
LOL! It's too bad I care how it turns out. :laughing7:

txsmkmstr wrote:Oven works great - better in the winter time though so you don't heat up the house. I'll stick the Maverick probe in the meat - run the wire to the outside of the oven and hook it to the transmitter. Sleep till the alarm goes off at 195* and start doing the poke test. The foil stays cleaner too. Be sure an put a sheet pan under it or triple wrap - sugary drippings don't play well with oven interiors.
I'll be trying out my new iGrill on it. It hooks up to my iPhone and transmits up to 200' , so I can actually sleep in my bed! We'll see how that turns out. Good idea w/ the sheet pan too! :thap:

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I'll let you know how it turns out. Will post some pics too!
"Boil rice, not ribs!"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”