KCBS chicken

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

KCBS chicken

Postby Que'a Syde » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:37 am

Well guys Team Que'a Syde is Signed up for the Bedford Blues event first weekend of Sept..I plan on doing alof of cooking to refine my stuff...I think i got a good handle on ribs pork and brisket..but i have ben practicing mainly tx comp style chicken..i have a few ideas for thighs but was wondering what the general concensus is,
and wondering if anyone else will be going there as well..thanks a heap... :mrgreen:
East Texas Smoker RK250/Autism edition
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
KCBS Certified Judge #60187
MBN Member #T110238
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: KCBS chicken

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:16 am

How many spots left? I think they stop at 40 teams.
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Postby Que'a Syde » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:56 am

according to the email it said they were taking 50 teams this year..i saw butcher already signed up for it...some other teams i havnt heard of which isnt suprising...lol..but ill also be there to do the judgin school sat morn as well..kill another bird while im there..it looks like its going to be a fun time and an awsome chance to test my skills.. and see muddy waters..havent been to a good blues show in ages...heh..and this looks like its going to be a really nice comp with all the good stuff u want at one..according to what i read so far..If anyone wants any info ill gladly get it to ya... :idea:

and yes i do still want suggestions on Thighs..Cause the one thing i notced at last event was the overall lack of smoke flavor..
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
MBN Member #T110238
lil earl USER_AVATAR
Lil Earl
Wrangler

Postby Lil Earl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:34 am

Check out BBQ Bug and go to the forum under BBQ Contest and check out "Award winning competition chicken"
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Lil Earl wrote:Check out BBQ Bug and go to the forum under BBQ Contest and check out "Award winning competition chicken"

Thanks for the heads up that was a pretty good read. I don't do KCBS, but if I do I can use some of that instruction.
"Sic 'em Bears"
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Postby Que'a Syde » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:02 pm

yeah that was a prety informative tip..thanks for the heads up...
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
MBN Member #T110238
gomeat USER_AVATAR
Gomeat
Cowboy

Postby Gomeat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 am

We just got registered the other day too. We cooked it last year and had a great time, lookin' forward to this year. No advice on chicken except crispy skin, we got shut out last year. But I have taken the judging class and it will help a lot. Ribs should have a pull when they bite in, not falling off the bone. Judges will not use utensils as in TX events, will pick it up by hand.

Look us up when you get there. And looking forward to Jonny Lang too!!
http://timstailgatebbqteam.com/
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 4626257902" target="_blank
Hasty Bake Fiesta & Hastings
Klose Smoker
"Acta Non Verba; In Incendia Verum"
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Postby Que'a Syde » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:26 am

Awsome!! ill look for u when i get there..gunna be a 4 hr or so drive for us but gunna be fun...I fell like im kinda doing the learning backwards since i judged the sams event in conroe..but im am looking so forward to the class and trying to get crispy skin or bte throght wet skin seems to be the best advice ive gotten so far..im debating if i should by a 2nd small grill to experiament with skin crisping after the smoke..how long does anyone recommend grilling the smoked chicken for..and would it be skin side dn to fire or up...
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
MBN Member #T110238
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 am

I grill all my chicken, no smoker for me, just add wiood chunks to charcoal for smoke,.skin side up on grill...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

also check to see what type of sauce is best received in those parts. some places like only SWEET sauce.
Northsider
Pilgrim

Postby Northsider » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:14 pm

3 star redneck wrote:I grill all my chicken, no smoker for me, just add wiood chunks to charcoal for smoke,.skin side up on grill...
Good sound advice right there.. :wink:
RangerJ
Rustler

Postby RangerJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Pappa Charlies will be there.

We stunk the place up last year but it was my first event in 7 months due to relocation. We did have a great time.

I'm not a big fan of the "peoples choice" which takes place right when your prepping for turn ins but it can't be worse than all the questions I had to field at Sams Conroe from shoppers. I was on the outside row facing what felt like the main entrance to the Sam's Club.

The event was well run last year and the cooking area is behind a chain link fence and you need wristbands to get in so alot of the festival folks don't bother you. Until they open the gates for peoples choice then the savages attack! There is alot going on besides the cook off, so you can wander around when you get some down time.

I've always done my thighs on my UDS so its kind of grilled and kind of smoked. If your going to scrape, do it at home before you head up, eaiser than doing it on site. Also, if your using a smoker and going to ramp up the heat, don't be afraid to practice your temps in the oven, same concept, just without the smoke. Three words. Practice, practice, practice.

Look me up when you get there and if I can be of any help, just let me know.

Wes
RangerJ
Rustler

Postby RangerJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:00 pm

[quote="Que'a Syde"]...I fell like im kinda doing the learning backwards since i judged the sams event in conroe..quote]

Is this your first KCBS Comp? Or first comp all together? If so good for you! The scoring feed back is invaluable for knowing if you need to fix something.

The guy next to me at Sams Conroe had been a judge and it was his first competition. He had all new kit and was cooking on a really expensive Jambo! While his EZ Up did blow across the parking lot and he had some issues ( first one as a one man team will wear you out), he did get 2nd place ribs! The judging experience paid off for him.

I'm sure you tasted good and bad que in Conroe, so try and keep those profiles in mind.

Have a plan and get as much work done the night prior. The KCBS turn in schedule your first time doing it is hectic. It was hot last year so hydrate along with the adult beverages. Again, if you have questions don't be afraid to ask.
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Postby Que'a Syde » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Yes this will be my first comp to compete in..I wanted to do the conroe event but at the time of its announcement i didnt even have my smoker broke in yet..im going to get a 2nd small grill type thing to use..maybe one day invest in a uds..the judging at conroe was crazy..but i did learn alot there and ill also be taking the judge class they are affering sat morning..it will be a great learning exp for sure...Ill pop in and say HEY!!! and thanks for all the tips..Im not a Drinker per say but if anyone want a COLD Dr Pepper i will have plenty..as for the peoples choice i can see how its a pain but ima let my bud,thats my right hand guy, cook it for some exp at the comp as i will be handling most the other stuff..He only has a few jobs..lol..yall can pop in on me if i dont see ya first..My pits ez to spot since the door stops are Puzzle pieces..and lets hope for an early not too wet fall this year .... :mrgreen:
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
MBN Member #T110238

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”