Announcing the Fathers Day 2011 Throwdown!

Bring it on! This is our online version of BBQ contests.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Announcing the Fathers Day 2011 Throwdown!

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 22, 2011 9:01 pm

We have a member here on the Texas BBQ Forum who once upon a time cooked comps but has since retired to backyard cooks with family and friends. He posts often, more than 1,500 times since he joined, and always has something good to contribute. Besides his interest in the TBBQForum he loves Cowboy and Longhorn football, softball, hunting and fishing. Any guess of whom I speak?

OK, I’ll give you another hint – he hails from Burleson, Texas.

Still stumped? Well here’s your last hint – He’s won the last three Throw Downs in a row!

Yes Sir, its Limey I’m talking about it. And for the next Throw Down that runs from now through Father’s Day its "Limey Takes On All Comers".

Our theme this time around is the BURGER. Yeah, you know a patty of ground meat, cooked over fire outdoors and put in a bun. :shock: We’re looking for a great burger. :dgrin: A burger worth being given the title of MVP and earning the cook a custom Avatar. :banana: :blues: :drumnana: :fiestanana: Since Limey suggested the theme, you know that he’ll have his grill fired up with three temp zones and his camera lens clean. :wink:

The ABCs:
A. Bun or something like a bun, Hoagie roll, French bread, bagel, Naan, whole wheat toast or even Pita. :chef:
B. Meat Patty. You choice of meat but it must be raw, ground (or finely chopped) and cooked in patty form outdoors over fire. :chef:
C. Wood-fire, gas-fire, pellet- fire, charcoal, lump –all good. :D Indoor frying pan, broiler, toaster oven –all bad. :twisted:
D. Toppings. Toppings go anywhere from the top of the bottom bun to the bottom of the top bun but not on the side as that would be a side which is verboten. As to whats allowed on the burger, “the Sky’s the limit”. Cheese it if you want to. Shroom it if you want too (won’t get my vote :puke: ). Lettuce, pickles, sprouts, mayo, jalps, ketchup, mustard, secret sauce, bbq sauce, cukes, cabbage, onions, guac, crème fresh or additional meats like :spam:, bacon or pulled pork. Whatever ingredient(S) you want on your burger. :chef: Or skip the toppings and go bare if you dare. :oops:
E. Write FATHER’S DAY on the back of a business card and place the card with Father’s Day facing the camera somewhere in the picture of your Burger. :king: Put it in the background, foreground or on top of your Burger. Placement doesn’t matter as long at its there.

The Father’s Day Throw Down runs now through 12:01 AM June 22nd. Polls go up around noon the morning of June 22nd and will run for 24 hours.

Do you have what it takes to Defeat Limey? The man that has taken top honors the past three Throw Downs. If so, I honor your competitive spirit. :salut: Take a picture of you burger masterpiece and email it to me at nospam@ncre.biz" target="_blank" target="_blank" sometime after June 12 but before 1201 AM 22JUN11. For best results, the pic should be 800X600 and in JPG format. If you’re not up to the challenge, then I morn your lack of gusto and reckless abandon. Just send me an email admitting you’re a chicken. :shakin: I’ll post the names of chickens at the bottom of the Poll Post. :roll: :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Must Read

Postby limey » Sun May 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Wow, what an intro Dave. Hey everyone lets make this Throwdown one of the biggest and best ever.
I know there are some great comp. and backyarders on the TBBQForumn so lets get the grills fired up during the next few weeks for the Father's Day Burger Throwdown. Texas burger, swiss and shroom burger, bacon cheese, patty melt,single,double,triple meat, ...whatever your favorite. Get your best burger pics in and see if you can be the next Throwdown Champ.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Sun May 22, 2011 11:16 pm

1st question.... are we allowed more than one entry? or is it just the one?

2nd question.... do you want just the money shot? or a pictorial of the process?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 22, 2011 11:20 pm

n2dabluebbq wrote:1st question.... are we allowed more than one entry? or is it just the one?

2nd question.... do you want just the money shot? or a pictorial of the process?

One pic that's money. To paraphrase Tom Cruise, show us the MONEY SHOT! 8)

You can post a pictorial of the process after the winner is announced. In fact, we encourage doing just that. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Announcing the Fathers Day 2011 Throwdown!

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 23, 2011 9:26 pm

Any one else have a question or two? Post here or send me a PM/EM (buttons below). I'm looking forward to a great Throw Down.
wimpy.jpg
Deputy Dave

b-hillʹs bbq USER_AVATAR
B-hill's BBQ
Cowboy

Postby B-hill's BBQ » Tue May 24, 2011 8:27 am

With that great of an intro, I feel a little intimidated, but it sure has me hungry for a burger. Getting ideas already going, good luck to all.
Brian, BMC USCG
Strive to be Saltier than a Pretzel
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Tue May 24, 2011 11:58 am

Need some Rocky music with that intro! :lol:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Tue May 24, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm down to cook a burger. We should handicap this throwdown and make Limey cook with a soy bean patty. :lol: :lol:
"Sic 'em Bears"
aks801 USER_AVATAR
aks801
Rustler

Postby aks801 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:22 am

Oh, it is so ON!

I haven't been on here in a long while, and this morning I thought to myself "Self, let's see what the shizzle is happening over on the TX BBQ forum. Maybe there be a throwdown shortly to commence."

Sho nuff, it's for my specialty, the lowly, the humble, the delicious, let's give it a great big old Texas howdy welcome, the burger!

All is indeed right with the world.
alan in Katy, TX

Weber OTS Kettle. Weber 22.5 WSM
Gone but not forgotten: ECB
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Since some folks seem to intimidated about Limey's skill, I heard a rumor that he's going to grill with one hand tied behind his back just to make it fair. :roll: :lol: 8)
Deputy Dave

harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Thu May 26, 2011 9:14 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Since some folks seem to intimidated about Limey's skill, I heard a rumor that he's going to grill with one hand tied behind his back just to make it fair. :roll: :lol: 8)

Which hand?
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 27, 2011 10:18 am

New Country wrote:How many burgers allowed in the pic, just one?

Just one. 8)
Deputy Dave

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 27, 2011 10:18 am

No sides either. 8) 8)
Deputy Dave

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri May 27, 2011 10:28 am

Dang!! I was going to do a huge plate of sliders. :) :)
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Just pick the best slider of the bunch and use that as your model. :wink: :roll: 8)

Now you got me thinking. Should a plate of sliders be allowed? Hmm. Reading the announcement..... Says the "Burger", not burgers. So, got to go with the initial call.

I will allow a pic of burger with the top part of the bun next to the bottom part as I've have 'em served up that way at places you got to pay after you eat (as opposed to before you eat). Think the rational for that is the hot side is hot and the cold side is cold. Don't know if that's true but it doesn't matter as its allowed. Perhaps I'm putting to fine a point on it. :chef:
Deputy Dave

Return to “TBBQF Throw Downs”