Hacked off about a brisket ...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

backyard
Wrangler

Re: Hacked off about a brisket ...

Postby backyard » Wed May 18, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm going to suggest you try someting. Cook it just like you are but when you take it off triple wrap it in foil and don't put it in a cooler. Let it rest 2 or so hours in the open. I think you might be pleased with the end result.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed May 18, 2011 3:20 pm

TXLNGHRN wrote:At my last comp I did 2 briskets, foiled both at 165, they were tough then, pulled at 195 still did not past the poke test, rested in a cooler for 3 hours and they fell apart. I have no idea what was going on. This was my 2nd time using the cooler. The first time I used it for a catering gig and 17 briskets came out unbelievably good. Which I guess is a good thing, I go paid to cater not to compete.....

Before sticking in the cooler did you let it air out ?? If you take a brisket directly off the pit and wrap in foil without airing out it'll raise close to 10 degrees and continue to cook, causing it to "overcook" and fall apart.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
sdman
Pilgrim

Postby sdman » Wed May 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Being a newbie does everyone wrap in foil around 165?

Does wrapping in foil make it more tender and cook faster,moister?

sam
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Wed May 18, 2011 4:30 pm

I put them in hot. Guess that was it. At home I don't wrap or cooler, but I had such good luck with it on the first time I thought it would turn out the same at the comp.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu May 19, 2011 7:29 am

backyard wrote:I'm going to suggest you try someting. Cook it just like you are but when you take it off triple wrap it in foil and don't put it in a cooler. Let it rest 2 or so hours in the open. I think you might be pleased with the end result.

i concur
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”