Hacked off about a brisket ...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue May 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Ok so I'm looking for a little advice here... seems that cooking a brisket is kinda like my golf game, I prop one end up only to have the other fall down. Back in Feb I did a cookoff of about 30 teams and took 1st in brisket, pulled the thing off about @ 197 and after sitting in a cooler for a few hrs juice was running out of the thing when I cut... the past 2 cookoffs I have done my briskets seem to be a little on the dry side. I'm injecting, wrapping @ 160 in an aluminum pan, pulling off at 195-197, allowing it to rest for maybe 2 hrs and getting a dryer texture... any idea what could be causing this?? Is it inthe foil to long, causing it to boil out its liquids? or is it maybe not in the foil long enough? :angryfire: :angryfire:
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Hacked off about a brisket ...

Postby limey » Tue May 17, 2011 5:25 pm

Did you do the poke test @ 195, I cooked two briskets this weekend one was done at 195 the other I left at 200 til my Tpen went through like butter. It's funny the smaller one was pulled at 200.
Go figure.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Tue May 17, 2011 5:27 pm

i think everyone has the same thing happen. Quality of meat can cause that. Some briskets are better than others.
Pull temp is only part of the equation

Was it cooked at the same temp each time?
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:22 pm

A brisket is like a woman I will never completely figure either one of them out. :wink:
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue May 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Quit worrying so much about internal temp. it is only a general guide line, when it passes the poke test its done. As was previously mentioned no two are alike. The quality of meat can vary depending on how old the animal was at time of slaughter, the type of feed Ect. Just because it is a choice or prime doesn't mean a thing as to when it will finish. I have had a few go to 220° before they passed the poke test.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 pm

You guys just answered some of the frustrations I've had with brisket. I'll have one turn out awesome!! I'm feeling like a pro, then the next one I do everything exactly the same and something just isn't right.

One question for you guys, when you do the pike test how often ate you checking? Every X minutes or X degrees?

-Nick via Tapatalk
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
E Town
Rustler

Postby E Town » Tue May 17, 2011 7:08 pm

BluDawg wrote:Quit worrying so much about internal temp. it is only a general guide line, when it passes the poke test its done. As was previously mentioned no two are alike. The quality of meat can vary depending on how old the animal was at time of slaughter, the type of feed Ect. Just because it is a choice or prime doesn't mean a thing as to when it will finish. I have had a few go to 220° before they passed the poke test.

What he said.
ceaves USER_AVATAR
ceaves
Rustler

Postby ceaves » Tue May 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Most mine come off at 211-214. I always try to let rest at least 2 hours before slicing. 2 hours in foil in a cooler and they are still too hot to touch.
Backwoods Smoker Dealer
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Tue May 17, 2011 8:31 pm

I've also pulled a few around the 210 mark with pretty good results. The window of a brisket being done is so wide that you may as well not even use a thermo and just poke it with something.
"Sic 'em Bears"
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Tue May 17, 2011 8:48 pm

ecto1 wrote:A brisket is like a woman I will never completely figure either one of them out. :wink:

I never heard it put so well.....thats the darn truth !!!
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue May 17, 2011 8:58 pm

To answer some of the questions you guys have had... A) I didnt try the poke test, but I guess this will be my method from here on out... B) Everytime I cook brisket I try to keep the pit between 225-250.

One question for you guys about the poke test, do you guys use the toothpick on the flat?? or the point?
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Tue May 17, 2011 9:08 pm

I poke from the top in the middle of the flat.
"Sic 'em Bears"
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue May 17, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm only inquiring because I want a clean sweep so I can "retire" from cookoffs... figured I'd go out on top if I took first in brisket, chicken and ribs in the same cookoff. haha... I've gotten 2 of the 3 at once, but nothing more. :D
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue May 17, 2011 11:30 pm

jtilk wrote:To answer some of the questions you guys have had... A) I didnt try the poke test, but I guess this will be my method from here on out... B) Everytime I cook brisket I try to keep the pit between 225-250.

One question for you guys about the poke test, do you guys use the toothpick on the flat?? or the point?
I aim for somewhere close to the thickest part of the Flat. Don't worry about the fat cap it its t meat that has to have that hot knife through butter feel :tup:
Last edited by BluDawg on Wed May 18, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Wed May 18, 2011 8:41 am

At my last comp I did 2 briskets, foiled both at 165, they were tough then, pulled at 195 still did not past the poke test, rested in a cooler for 3 hours and they fell apart. I have no idea what was going on. This was my 2nd time using the cooler. The first time I used it for a catering gig and 17 briskets came out unbelievably good. Which I guess is a good thing, I go paid to cater not to compete.....

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”