The perfect tool to slice brisket

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtilk
Outlaw

Re: The perfect tool to slice brisket

Postby jtilk » Thu May 12, 2011 9:15 pm

I use a 12" forschner to slice brisket... did the whole electric knife thing before that and didn't care for it. A good sharp manual knife makes a prettier cut of meat than the ripping and tearing from a electric knife in my opinion.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

The perfect tool to slice brisket

Postby atcNick » Thu May 12, 2011 10:56 pm

The forschner granted edge slicer?

-Nick via Tapatalk
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue May 17, 2011 4:45 pm

This is basically the knife I use... got mine off of Ebay.

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=1795&catid=273
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:08 pm

3 star redneck wrote:
New Country wrote:I'm from the "slice" not "saw" camp, so you'll never find a serrated knife or electric knife near my meat. My knives are sharp and one slice of the knife is one slice of brisket, which does require a long sharp blade. Of course I tell people, if you touch my knives I will use them on you. I'm a fan of MAC knives.

If you cooked comp you would see the other side , with an electric knife.. :lol: :lol: :wink:

I used to be strictly 12" slicer but the more comps I cook the more I see 1st place brisket that is so tender there is no way it could have been sliced without an electric. Especually comps where the ends have to be intact, sometimes the only way to do it is with an electric. I have a cuisinart cek-40, mr twister 9" piranha and a victorinox 12" slicer and a cheapie 12" update. The razor sharp victorinox is no match for my mr twister and a super tender brisket. Sometimes gotta even bust out the cake spatula to get it to the box. Learned a long time ago when we snagged three 1sts in a row with a overcooked that appearance matters very little in Texas comps. Judges just want something that tastes good.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”