Ohio Open BBQ Championship

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Ohio Open BBQ Championship

Postby Big Mike » Fri May 04, 2007 12:14 pm

I'm finally going to do my first competition.

This will be a first year comp held in Dayton, Ohio July 13 & 14. Due to time restrictions, it is not going to be sanctioned this year but it will follow KCBS rules with one exception, you can cook on wood, charcoal, electric, or gas. If all goes well the comp will be held every year and be sanctioned by KCBS.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Re: Ohio Open BBQ Championship

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri May 04, 2007 12:28 pm

Big Mike wrote:I'm finally going to do my first competition.

This will be a first year comp held in Dayton, Ohio July 13 & 14. Due to time restrictions, it is not going to be sanctioned this year but it will follow KCBS rules with one exception, you can cook on wood, charcoal, electric, or gas. If all goes well the comp will be held every year and be sanctioned by KCBS.

Good luck Mike! I might be hittin the comp trail myself this year....lookin at a couple of events.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri May 04, 2007 1:02 pm

Good luck Mike. :D I'm sure you will do well. :D :D :D
Jim
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Fri May 04, 2007 3:09 pm

good luck I know you will do well :D
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri May 04, 2007 5:30 pm

Go get 'em Big Mike! 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:01 pm

Alright, I know yall probably thought you had gotten rid of me, but no such luck.

I made it through my first competition. All in all, I was happy with the results. I hit all my turn in times and all the food was edible. :D

I ended up with two calls, chicken and pulled pork. Unfortunately, my brisket and ribs didn't fare as well and I'm not totally sure why. The brisket was tender and juicy, but I did not sauce or inject, so it just tasted like beef brisket. The ribs were probably slightly undercooked but they were still tender. Plus I was the only one turning in baby backs. Next time I'm using spares, gonna cook em till they are a bit more tender, and use a bit more sweet stuff on em and see what happens.

Like I said, it was a great experience and I am jumping into contest #2 next month over in Madison Indiana.

I also have to change my name because someone else competes in KCBS contests as Big Mikes BBQ. So I think I have finally decided on a new name. It is going to be

Eagle River BBQ

Has anyone heard of anyone else using this name. I've done a couple of different searches and couldn't find anything.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:22 pm

Congrats on a good showing. :D :D Good luck on the next one. :D

New name sounds great. :D :wink:
Jim
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:17 pm

Congrats on your cook. Eagle River BBQ has nice sound to it, I haven't heard it before. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:51 pm

Sounds pretty darn good for a your first comp!
Gator

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:11 pm

Congrats on the contest results, Mike!
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks yall.

I posted the new name in a couple of places and nobody has heard of anyone using it so far so I submitted for entry to the BBQ Team Name Database.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:55 pm

What about Bama Que?
Gator

burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:15 pm

Mike, congrats on your calls.

I wouldn't change anything on the basis of 1 contest. I'd still do BBs and leave the spares for later. However, if you normally cook spares, you should have stayed with spares.

I've been pretty lucky with calls on my brisket. Do you foil your brisket? I do. When I'm ready to cut the brisket I open the foil and save the juices in a small pan. I heat the juice up and wisk in some butter to the juice. After I slice the brisket I dip it in the juice to coat it then put it in the box. If you don't foil I'd heat up some beef broth and wisk some butter into it and dip the slices. I think it gives the beef a slightly richer taste without injecting. Try it on a practice brisket and see how it tastes.

Good luck in Indiana! Where's #3 going to be?

Big Mike wrote:Alright, I know yall probably thought you had gotten rid of me, but no such luck.

I made it through my first competition. All in all, I was happy with the results. I hit all my turn in times and all the food was edible. :D

I ended up with two calls, chicken and pulled pork. Unfortunately, my brisket and ribs didn't fare as well and I'm not totally sure why. The brisket was tender and juicy, but I did not sauce or inject, so it just tasted like beef brisket. The ribs were probably slightly undercooked but they were still tender. Plus I was the only one turning in baby backs. Next time I'm using spares, gonna cook em till they are a bit more tender, and use a bit more sweet stuff on em and see what happens.

Like I said, it was a great experience and I am jumping into contest #2 next month over in Madison Indiana.

I also have to change my name because someone else competes in KCBS contests as Big Mikes BBQ. So I think I have finally decided on a new name. It is going to be

Eagle River BBQ

Has anyone heard of anyone else using this name. I've done a couple of different searches and couldn't find anything.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:09 am

Gator wrote:What about Bama Que?

It's already in use.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:17 am

BFD, I do foil my brisket and it sounds like our process is very similar except I've not used butter.

I am hesitant to change anything because it was not a sanctioned contest this year so the judges were officers of the American Legion that put on the competition. So I don't know how I would have done with real bbq judges.

Comp #3 I believe will be the state championship in Nelsonville, Ohio in October.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”