Smallest pit recommendation for comps?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mechnech USER_AVATAR
Mechnech
Bandolero

Re: Smallest pit recommendation for comps?

Postby Mechnech » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:30 pm

I would say you would want to start with at least a medium sized pit. Figure out space for 2 briskets, 3-4 racks of ribs and 2 halved chickens. But don't forget about having to do Birthday partys and such.
This is my pit based on a 150 tank size, did MIL's birthday get together a month or so ago with 3 briskets, 2 pork butts and 4 racks ribs 4 pans of beans and chicken on the UDS's did get crowded. During comps my chickens are done on the UDS, brisket ribs in the pit. Reckon what I am trying to say is don't start to small.
Shop built Reverse Flow Smoker
UDS
Weber Genesis E-320
More CI than I can carry
3Cs BBQ Co
Wrangler

Postby 3Cs BBQ Co » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Donate ??!! I do 2 chix halved. 3 racks of spares. And 2 briskets. I have a 250 gal rig on trailer, and only cook briskets on it (Ol Betsy), The rest on UDS. we usually have no leftovers, I sell the other brisket to a buddy every time, he likes em even when the judges don't. There's a guy here in Emory that builds a really nice medium sized trailered rig, he just opened a shop, if you want I'll slide by tomorrow and get the details and specs and take some pics if you'd like to see it, send me an email address. I don't mind at all. Mines 3csbbqco@gmail.com" target="_blank

Chad

here's Ol Betsy. Sometimes I wish I had 2 more just like her, you will need the extra room eventually, trust us.

3Cs BBQ Co.
Competition & Catering
3Cs BBQ Shack
"Roadside BBQ that bites YOU back"
Ol Betsy (Homemade 250 Gal Offset)
2 U.D.S.
2 Weber Kettles
3Cs BBQ Co
Wrangler

Postby 3Cs BBQ Co » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Mechnech, nice RF..
3Cs BBQ Co.
Competition & Catering
3Cs BBQ Shack
2 U.D.S.
2 Weber Kettles
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:45 pm

3Cs BBQ Co wrote:Donate ??!! I do 2 chix halved. 3 racks of spares. And 2 briskets. I have a 250 gal rig on trailer, and only cook briskets on it (Ol Betsy), The rest on UDS. we usually have no leftovers, I sell the other brisket to a buddy every time, he likes em even when the judges don't. There's a guy here in Emory that builds a really nice medium sized trailered rig, he just opened a shop, if you want I'll slide by tomorrow and get the details and specs and take some pics if you'd like to see it, send me an email address. I don't mind at all. Mines 3csbbqco@gmail.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

Chad

here's Ol Betsy. Sometimes I wish I had 2 more just like her, you will need the extra room eventually, trust us.

Thanks man! I sent you an email.

I've never entered a comp before. I just read the info about the lsbs event they had in Longview last weekend. They expected the cooks to "donate" any leftover Q to be sold and the proceeds would go to some museum fund or something. blah blah blah.
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
3Cs BBQ Co
Wrangler

Postby 3Cs BBQ Co » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:16 am

I got your email. I'll get some pics today and send them your way. I was joking about donating food. Some cooks have enough to feed an army, and I think that's great to raise money for something, I personally don't have leftovers, family and friends alwYs show up for turn in and awards and of course they r hungry..
3Cs BBQ Co.
Competition & Catering
3Cs BBQ Shack
2 U.D.S.
2 Weber Kettles
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:43 am

People have won major competitions with all size pits, however the 24" seems to be just about right as the others have mentioned. Somehow it does always seem to be very useful for other get togethers, tailgating, ect outside of competitons. At comps I usually cook 2 brikets,two whole chickens halved,and two racks of ribs. I currently am using a much larger 36"er because we built it for catering too but will admit that the smaller 24" was easier to cook on and I am now finding that its harder to make moist food because of the large cooking chamber vs amout of meat in there. Also the larger rigs burn more fuel (wood) unneccesarily for competitons.

I have always found that the absolute best bbq I make is at home in the smaller pits, somehow the smaller cooking chambers just seems to infuse the overall flavor better into the meat and its always juicier and more moist. Just my experience and wonder if anyone else has noticed this too?
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:27 pm

something i think needs mentioning along with pit size is fuel consumption. it will play a big part during comps as you will need to maintain your temps. so for whatever size you decide to go with, do a bit of research on how fuel efficient the pit is or isn't.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”