Chicken Injection/ Mop

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtilk
Outlaw

Chicken Injection/ Mop

Postby jtilk » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:10 pm

After doing a few cookoffs as of late, I've come to the conclusion chicken is probably my most inconsistent category in competitions so I'm looking to change some things up. Do you guys prefer to buy an injection/ soak/ mop such as Kosmo Q's? If so which do you prefer or do you prefer to create your own?... Not necessarily looking for anyone to spill the preverbial beans on recipes, but what have you found that works well for you?
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Chicken Injection/ Mop

Postby ChileFarmer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Josh, I don't have any answers but will be interested in the results. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Yea, I have yet to try any brining or soaks but typicall I use a combinations or 2 rubs, an injection and use the left over injection as a sop... Results haven't been bad as I made the final table this wkend in a competition but I have yet to place in the top 5. I have a few friends who compete with me and use Italian dressing as an injection as well. But I have a few issues with that ... A) I see is used quite a bit... B) I dont care for the oily residue it has a tendency to leave behind on your meat and if it doesnt cook out all the way you end up with pockets of "zesty Italian" :|
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:31 pm

jtilk wrote:After doing a few cookoffs as of late, I've come to the conclusion chicken is probably my most inconsistent category in competitions so I'm looking to change some things up. Do you guys prefer to buy an injection/ soak/ mop such as Kosmo Q's? If so which do you prefer or do you prefer to create your own?... Not necessarily looking for anyone to spill the preverbial beans on recipes, but what have you found that works well for you?

I can tell ya everyhting you need/want to know but Then I gotta kill ya! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:40 pm

I can let you in on a little secret.....Redneck talks mean but slip him $100 in unmarked bills and he'll spill his goods.....
tarde venientibus ossa....
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Papa Tom wrote:I can let you in on a little secret.....Redneck talks mean but slip him $100 in unmarked bills and he'll spill his goods.....

I was just about to say he'd either have to kill me, or make me pay the cost of admission for his class :D ... If I wasnt a good 6 hrs away I'd prolly be all over it. I've already hit him up about an audio version.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

bbq mike USER_AVATAR
BBQ Mike
Rustler

Postby BBQ Mike » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:35 pm

Josh,
BluDawgs the man you need to talk to. If memory serves me right in his post he said his chicken was soooo good it scared him.LOL
I followed his advice, and my chicken came out MOST excellent! I will be using that recipe from now on.
Mike

Boondock Cookers, We do all our own stunts!
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 am

BBQ Mike wrote:Josh,
BluDawgs the man you need to talk to. If memory serves me right in his post he said his chicken was soooo good it scared him.LOL

If his q is so ooo goood then why aint he cooking comp! :shock: :lol:

Josh, Ill be in Bryan Tx this week end at Harps Bar, if you get a chance to come visit we can talk chicken.

Hook Em' Horns
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:20 pm

3 star redneck wrote:If his q is so ooo goood then why aint he cooking comp! :shock: :lol:

Josh, Ill be in Bryan Tx this week end at Harps Bar, if you get a chance to come visit we can talk chicken.

After the cookoff this past wkend the wife may have plans to do some Christmas shopping... but I'll see if maybe I can't convince her to maybe do some shopping in the Bryan area :D
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Thats cool, if not maybe we can meet after the 1st of the yr!

Hook Em' Horns
ezbbq USER_AVATAR
ezbbq
Cowboy

Postby ezbbq » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Josh - we brine our birds in a brine we developed. Remember, your looking to layer the flavor, so develop a brine that compliments your rub, and those two compliment the glaze. We use a commercially available rub, then developed the brine and glaze around it.
Shiner Bock is the grease that helps us slide thru life.

New R&O smoker - Flaco
One chicken cookin' WSM - R2D2
Ox190
Bandolero

Postby Ox190 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:15 pm

ezbbq wrote:Josh - we brine our birds in a brine we developed. Remember, your looking to layer the flavor, so develop a brine that compliments your rub, and those two compliment the glaze. We use a commercially available rub, then developed the brine and glaze around it.

^I've seen that guy walk in a lot of comps in the chicken category....too many if you're asking me. :D
Custom vertical offset.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:03 pm

3 star redneck wrote:
BBQ Mike wrote:Josh,

If his q is so ooo goood then why aint he cooking comp! :shock: :lol:

Mainly because of to many Know it all my way is the best way and I 'll tell ya for a dollar but I wont tell ya every thing people in and around competition BBQ. I Know My stuff is Top Shelf and I don't need to go around measuring my Johnson in public to prove it. You don't have to compete to make excellent BBQ You just have to Know your Equipment and your Limitations. Integrity IS everything!!!
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:55 pm

ezbbq wrote:Josh - we brine our birds in a brine we developed. Remember, your looking to layer the flavor, so develop a brine that compliments your rub, and those two compliment the glaze. We use a commercially available rub, then developed the brine and glaze around it.

I'm guessing a brine is going to be my next project... I read something awhile back (can't exactly remember where, but it was in a forum) where some members were debating just how much flavor could be absorbed in a brine. Some were standing by the standard sugar and salt... while others were adding juices and other herbs. I guess the best way to determine this is trial and error yourself... :D
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:17 pm

I've had good luck brining with salt,pepper, chopped up lemons, chopped garlic clove,and some chopped onions. olive oil and a light seasoning before it goes on the grill. Baste occassionally with garlic butter.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”