Veteran's Day ThrowDown 2010

Bring it on! This is our online version of BBQ contests.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Veteran's Day ThrowDown 2010

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:47 pm

This will probably be the last ThrowDown of 2010, so we might as well go out with a bang. To that end we're going retro on this ThrowDown! Yup, all the way back to June of 2007 when the General Ordinances were adopted.
The Deputies are charged with enforcing the laws concerning the Texas BBQ Forum Throw Downs. So here are the General Ordinances so ya'll can't claim ignorance.

General Throw Down Ordinance One: Only members of the Texas BBQ Forum can enter and/or vote in a Throw Down.

General Throw Down Ordinance Two: Categories for Throw Downs are:
1.) Big Hunks of Meat,
2.) Reebs,
3.) Things with Wings and
4.) Anything Goes.

No side dishes allowed except for the Any Thing Goes Category. Hint, a bun makes it a side dish.

General Throw Down Ordinance Three: Submit photos in a JPEG (.jpg) format with a resolution of 640x480. Limit of one picture per category entered. No pic markings.

Submit your photos to ThrowDown@ncre.biz" target="_blank starting at 12:01 AM CDT 01 November 2010 and ending at 12:01 AM CST 15 November 2010. Include your screen name in your email.

Polls for Big Hunks of Meat, Reebs, Things With Wings and Anything Goes will go up on 15 November and run for 24 hours. The winner of each of those polls with then advance to the Final Poll which will go up on the 16th and run for 24 hours.

All Pics must have the words "Thank a Vet" written on the back of a business card and be placed somewhere in the photo.

Big Hunks of Meat include briskets, butts, roasts, 5# summer sausage rolls etc. Just needs to be big.
Reebs are any kind of ribs to include rack of lamb, bison, beef and of course pork (Excepting Country Style ribs which aren't ribs).
Things with Wings means poultry. Besides chicken, turkey, goose, duck etc is ok.
No sides allowed on the above categories.
Anything Goes is just what just what it says -sides ok, no sides ok.

All meat must be smoked or grilled. No pressure cookers, crock pots etc.

So, here's your chance to be famous and get a Customer Avatar and MVP bragging rights. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Veteran's Day ThrowDown 2010

Postby egghead » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:32 pm

You forgot to add the note about shrooms as a side in anything goes :lol: :lol:

Looks like a good one Dave
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
mph USER_AVATAR
MPH
Pilgrim

Postby MPH » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:03 pm

I love the "Thank A Vet" comment. Solid. I'm in.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:31 am

The purpose of the card with a phrase on it is to ensure that the photo submitted was taken during the window of opportunity and not pulled of the internet somewhere. Every TD has a different phrase, and "Thank a Vet" seemed appropriate for the name of this TD.

Good luck to every one!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:46 pm

I'm IN!!!
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Sounds good,count me in.
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:25 am

Last one of 2010 - Sure went quick .. I in .. good luck to everyone.. A big thank you to all the veterans out there.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:33 am

cowboydon wrote:Last one of 2010 - Sure went quick .. I in .. good luck to everyone.. A big thank you to all the veterans out there.

Sure did. After that the Calendar gets full -Thanksgiving & Christmas.
Deputy Dave

n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am

i need to throw my hat into this. and seeing how i am a bit slow today, please lend a brother a hand....
if i were to enter say, a brisket and a pork and a chicken and a anything goes entry, would that mean that i need four pictures, or would it be only three as brisket and pork were included in the same category above? i understand that the business card is to be included on each picture. but wasn't sure if the large meat category would be counted as only one.
also may i post numerous pictures showing progression or just finished product? (i know i know, dang rookies! hahah)
thanks for listening to the misplaced Texan.

oh what is the acceptable cooking time? pics are accepted starting on the first, so does that mean cook is good if done on the 31st? or is sooner allowed? just clarifying. :wink:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:41 am

n2dabluebbq wrote:i need to throw my hat into this. and seeing how i am a bit slow today, please lend a brother a hand....
if i were to enter say, a brisket and a pork and a chicken and a anything goes entry, would that mean that i need four pictures, or would it be only three as brisket and pork were included in the same category above? i understand that the business card is to be included on each picture. but wasn't sure if the large meat category would be counted as only one.

Big Hunks of Meat would be one big hunk of meat. Technically you could have a brisket and a butt in the same pic but most folks enter a Brisket in the BHM category and the Butt in Anything Goes or vice versa.
n2dabluebbq wrote:also may i post numerous pictures showing progression or just finished product? (i know i know, dang rookies! hahah)
thanks for listening to the misplaced Texan.

Just the finished product. Several members have posted threads after the ThrowDown showing the entire cook.Take a gander at the viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5827" target="_blank thread to get a feel for what has won in the past

n2dabluebbq wrote:oh what is the acceptable cooking time? pics are accepted starting on the first, so does that mean cook is good if done on the 31st? or is sooner allowed? just clarifying. :wink:

I'll accept them on the first but you can cook now as long as the card is in the pic.
Deputy Dave

sharkie USER_AVATAR
Sharkie
Rustler

Postby Sharkie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Anything for the Veterans! :D Pretty Good one for the last TD of 2010 !!
stillburnincookers
Pilgrim

Postby stillburnincookers » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:05 am

never done this before would like to try seeing we are doing a cook-off this weekend...
1. if i do the big hunk of meat (brisket) do i cut slices for yall to see... etc ribs being the same.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:57 am

stillburnincookers wrote:never done this before would like to try seeing we are doing a cook-off this weekend...
1. if i do the big hunk of meat (brisket) do i cut slices for yall to see... etc ribs being the same.

Its up to you but seeing a nice smoke ring might get you more votes.
Deputy Dave

stillburnincookers
Pilgrim

Postby stillburnincookers » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:08 am

alright thanks i just wanna obey the rules...

Return to “TBBQF Throw Downs”