Beef Ribs!

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Beef Ribs!

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm going to try and cook me some Beef ribs before. I live in Barbecue challenged Ohio and it was tough to find some and when I did they were frozen. Any advice on how to cook these. If I get them thawed out I plan on cooking them pretty much like pork ribs, around 250 degrees with salt and pepper for seasoning. Not sure on how long to cook them but I guess the ribs will tell me when they are done.

Any advice for a novice Beef Rib cooker here?
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Uncle Bubba
Pilgrim

Postby Uncle Bubba » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:10 pm

Pork Fat Rules!!!!

I did beef ribs once and only once. Not enough meat for me. Good luck!!
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:16 pm

Bubba, this is a Texas site! I thought Beef ruled in Texas!

When I was in Oklahoma last month at the Cookshack class taught by Fast Eddy, I had some Beef Ribs that were out of this world. Tasted like prime rib which I'm pretty sure that's what they were.

I like pork as much as the next guy but I'm trying to expand my horizons while trimming my wasteline. I started the Atkins Diet last week so I'm making good on my resolution so far.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Beef Ribs On!

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Thought I'd post a few pics of the progress of the ribs. Like I said before this is the first time I've made them so I've got a lot to learn here. I made up a rub of mostly salt and pepper added a little garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and some cumin. If I weren't on this Atkins diet I definitely would have added some brown sugar too.

Here are the first pics.

Beef ribs:

Pulling the membrane:

All rubbed down:

On the grill (Primo Oval)

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:40 pm

I've done the beef ribs once....BIG bones! not much meat, but they were good!! nice start with the cook....
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Never had beef ribs but those look pretty good so far. Looking forward to the finished pics.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Beef Ribs On!

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:00 pm

Dallas wrote:Thought I'd post a few pics of the progress of the ribs. Like I said before this is the first time I've made them so I've got a lot to learn here. I made up a rub of mostly salt and pepper added a little garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and some cumin. If I weren't on this Atkins diet I definitely would have added some brown sugar too.

Here are the first pics.

Beef ribs:

Pulling the membrane:

All rubbed down:

On the grill (Primo Oval)

Dallas,
I've found with ribs, any kind, on a ciramic that I have better results when I use a rib rack. What's your experience?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:05 pm

DAT's no experience with Beef ribs but it's an easy fix. I've got one!

Thanks for the tip!
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Finished Pics!

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:16 pm

I've still got one rack left on the cooker but I thought these came out really good for a first attempt. Served them with sauce on the side. Glad I did because they didn't need it. Everyone including our Dog (he got the bones) loved them. Just like eating minature servings of Prime Rib. Will definitely do them again.

On the Primo (Had a little trouble fitting them in the racks)

Resting

Ready to Eat!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:25 pm

They look fantastic Dallas!! I'm going to give them a go for sure! Was there a reason for using a rib rack? Seems 2 racks would fit fine on the Primo, no?
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:30 pm

I was just following DAT's suggestion, Bill. He's got a lot more experience than me cooking on ceramic cookers. Yes two racks would fit easily on the Primo Oval!

Thanks for the comments and good luck with your cook. Just one other note, I sprayed them occassionaly throughout the cook with a little margarine to keep them moist. Seemed to work!
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Dallas wrote:I was just following DAT's suggestion, Bill. He's got a lot more experience than me cooking on ceramic cookers. Yes two racks would fit easily on the Primo Oval!

Thanks for the comments and good luck with your cook. Just one other note, I sprayed them occassionaly throughout the cook with a little margarine to keep them moist. Seemed to work!

I missed that. :oops: Thanks Dallas.
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:24 pm

Those look pretty darn good. I haven't given beef ribs a try yet either.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:27 pm

Bill wrote:
Dallas wrote:I was just following DAT's suggestion, Bill. He's got a lot more experience than me cooking on ceramic cookers. Yes two racks would fit easily on the Primo Oval!

I missed that. :oops: Thanks Dallas.

Bill,
That recommendation is based purely upon my personal experiences. My theory is that if the rack is laid across the grate, it is subject to more direct heat. With the rack, the heat doesn't have a chance to "pool" under the rack. An added benifit is that the grease can't pool, run off to just one side and cause an unexpected minigrease fire. Yeah, even in a ciramic they can happen. Just my .02
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
YankeeQ
Pilgrim

Postby YankeeQ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:30 pm

Nice looking bones...and good advice...

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”