Aussie needs a hand!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jhei21
Pilgrim

Aussie needs a hand!

Postby jhei21 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:25 am

Hi guys,

We are hosting a Texas style BBQ at our place in Melbourne (Australia) this weekend and i need some help!

We are cooking a Brisket and Pork Ribs in a Weber. My question is about the rub. Do i put the rub on the meat before putting it in or after or half way through?

Do i then also baste it with a vinegar liquid called a mop or with BBQ sauce?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Also what beer do people drink (normally) in Texas. Bud?

Thanks from Australia!
budroux2w
Wrangler

Re: Aussie needs a hand!

Postby budroux2w » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:45 am

Welcome to the forum!

You'll probably hear a few different ways but I usually put the rub on before tossing on the cooker and I don't mop. I also wrap both with foil about halfway through. Someone will probably jump on here in a bit with some temps and times, I've always kind of just eye balled it.

I've also had good luck with the 3-2-1 method on the ribs.

As for the beer, Shiner Bock is what I prefer but that might be impossible for you to find. If not Shiner I usually go for a light beer.
jhei21
Pilgrim

Postby jhei21 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:51 am

Ok great. Rub first then foil half way through. I was thinking from what i read on here maybe 5-6 hours?

I googled the 3-2-1 method and that makes sense for the ribs. Looks like the brisket and ribs would be in for the same amount of time.

I may have some problems getting my hands on any Shiner Bock. Do many people in Texas drink Carona?
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:52 am

First of all, welcome to the forum! Wish I could join your party. For the brisket, rub the meat before it goes on the pit smoker. I don't do any mops or bbq sauce on my brisket. If you are mopping, you are opening the lid too often. :lol: I feel that bbq sauce should always be served on the side, especially if you are cooking for a group. Not everybody likes bbq sauce. Are you cooking a whole packer brisket or just the flat? Does it have a fat cap? If so, cook the fat side down so that the fat is between the meat and the heat. When it reaches 160 degrees F, you can wrap the brisket on foil if you would like and continue to cook until 200 degrees F. The brisket will be done when you can insert a thermometer into the brisket and it goes in like butter. Also, make sure you let the brisket rest after coming off of the pit for at least a half hour before cutting into it so the juices will all re-distribute. If not, they will all run out on the counter leaving you with dry meat.

Good luck with your party and take lots of pictures to share with us!

tex :texas:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
jhei21
Pilgrim

Postby jhei21 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks Toby. I am not sure what the meat will be like. I rang up a wholesale butcher and asked for 2kg of Brisket. Seemingly it is not a very popular cut down here.

Do you have a rough time frame on cooking?

I will definitely rest it before cutting!

Any advice on the proper beer to serve?
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:04 am

What smoker temp are you going to be cooking your brisket? You can cook a brisket hot & fast in 6 or 7 hours if you keep the pit around 300 - 325 degrees. Most people cook them low-n-slow (225 degrees) for 12+ hours, but cooking faster with higher heat is definitely possible. Just don't rush it or you will end up with tough, dry meat. It's done when it's done! :lol: Good things come to those who wait :wink:

Oh, Miller Lite is a popular beer here in Texas as well.

tex :texas:
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:07 am

Here is a great "hot-n-fast" thread posted a few weeks ago by mgwerks. It's worth a look! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10793" target="_blank" target="_blank

Also, a 2KG (about about 4.4 lbs) brisket is going to be pretty small compared to what we cook mainly here in Texas. That would have to be just the brisket flat (or a really little cow! :P ). lt should cook faster being that there is less meat.
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:10 am

Tex-Toby has you set up good. Follow that instruction and you will be all set. By the way most of us Texans will drink almost any beer that's cold......and every now and then the slightly warm beer that we couldn't wait to get cold in the cooler.
jhei21
Pilgrim

Postby jhei21 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:42 am

Wealth of information guys thanks. Who would have know this would be so complicated.

Will digest (excuse the pun) information over night and return.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:22 am

What kind of a weber - kettle or WSM?

For your consideration:
Low and Slow for "traditional" Q.
Smoke the Brisket till it passes the poke test - when a thermometer probe goes in it like a hot knife into butter. Figure 195°F to 200°F internal plus or minus.

Let rest for at least 30 minutes, an hour or two is better.

Slice against the grain.

Rub on the night before.

I'd go with Fosters in the steel can for beer. :wink: Those Tejas boys like the barley pop (anything in can that says "lite") which is a weak pilsner. :stir: I go with a hoppy lager like Becks (but not Bud that uses a rice malt) or even a pale ale. :drunk: :)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigdaddydanbbq USER_AVATAR
bigdaddydanbbq
Wrangler

Postby bigdaddydanbbq » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Rub it in rub it in! Shiner or taste great less filling Miller Light all the way. :texas: :D Bigdaddydanbbq Oklahoma Joe New Braunfels offset modified
Oklahoma Joe New Braunfels and Big Blue Q UDS
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Just skimmed the replies and I'm sure you have some outstanding input. In case it wasn't covered, make sure you carve against the grain and I like carving just before serving - juicier that way.

I did notice a couple of the beer comments - most Texans think the best beer is the next one, especially if it is free :lol:
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
wayne USER_AVATAR
wayne
Wrangler

Postby wayne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Cut away excess fat on the cap, cut a cross cut pattern on the remaining fat cap. Wash and then apply the coffee rub. First, rub the entire brisket with mustard then apply the coffee rub. Wrap in cling wrap and place in the fridge over night. Remove while grill is warming up. After your grill has reached the desired heat range, place on the grill, fat side up. do not mop and let cook/smoke for about 4-5 hours, wrap in foil, place about 1/3 cup of water or beef broth, seal up and place back on grill or oven until the meat is tender to your liking. test is to take a toothpick or fork and incert several places to see if they slide in like a hot knift thought butter. Remove, let rest for about 30 minutes, and cut.

Coffee Rub for Brisket:

1/2 cup ground coffee/chicory
1/3 kosher/sea salt
1/2 cup brown sugar/turbinado sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1/3 cup garlic
1/2 cup vegetable oil, or as needed
I am no competitor, but am pursuing the "WOW that has to be the best BBQ Ribs, Brisket, or Chicken I have tasted" results. And, I love to smoke on my grill, Traegar Lil Tex. http://www.traegergrills.com
jhei21
Pilgrim

Postby jhei21 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:08 am

DATsBBQ wrote:What kind of a weber - kettle or WSM?

I'd go with Fosters in the steel can for beer. :wink:

Kettle Weber.

Picked up some Millers today for the occassion. No Fosters sorry!

I am doing a trial run tonight before the big lunch tomorrow. The Mesquite chips i picked up smell great.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”