Throwdown Suggestions

Bring it on! This is our online version of BBQ contests.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Throwdown Suggestions

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu May 31, 2007 1:40 pm

I would like to start this thread for throwdown suggestions. What changes should be made? Additions? All suggestions and thoughts should be contributed here. Including everyone from the forum will give some great, diverse ideas to make throwdowns even more fun! So suggest away!
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu May 31, 2007 3:36 pm

I'll move this over here...

one thing being that I think you 5 (mods and Gator) should be able to participate, or at least maybe 3 of ya on a rotating basis. So what if you win, you participate on here more than most others.

This is just a personal opinion, cuz it kind of threw me off when trying to vote...Plated food with the sides etc, might ought to go in the anything goes category because it is hard to concentrate on chicken if just judging the chicken or whatever category.

I have a thought about a point system too, like 1-10, so that every pic gets voted on, then tally the points per individual, or something along those lines... on 2nd thought, that may be kind of hard to do?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
pcolamike USER_AVATAR
pcolamike
Pilgrim
Location: Currently Pensacola, FL but Fort Worth will allways be home

Postby pcolamike » Thu May 31, 2007 10:53 pm

Points would be good, but as you say it might be too hard. Especially for those of us who can't count.

:ddumb:

So maybe something simple like Likert Scale. Not sure what can be plugged into the polling/forum software.

It would be nice to get a few more people voting. Maybe a blanket e-mail to the membership to remind them to vote even if they didn't participate. It's possible some might think of it as spam, but it's only once in a while.
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:54 am

My biggest question was on counting the meat, the total meats and sides, or the quality of picture. This was a hard thing to judge. There were some great pics but there was also some great looking meat. Thats what confused me a little. I would be more than willing to grab any of the meats in the pics and just munch on them. But from the photos some pics took time and effort and were really nice looking.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:25 pm

Bowhntr wrote:
I have a thought about a point system too, like 1-10, so that every pic gets voted on, then tally the points per individual, or something along those lines... on 2nd thought, that may be kind of hard to do?

It could be done....would have to have each entry judge in a separate poll, then do the math. Judges would have to vote on all of them. Might get a bit time consuming. (8 entries in a categoryX4categories=32 separate polls just to get to the finals)

pcolamike wrote:
It would be nice to get a few more people voting. Maybe a blanket e-mail to the membership to remind them to vote even if they didn't participate. It's possible some might think of it as spam, but it's only once in a while.

Good idea, not sure if we have the capability of doing that.

What about the categories. Keep, change or tweak them?

Would it be better to have a Beef, Chicken, Pork, Ribs, Anything Goes or something along those lines?
Last edited by DATsBBQ on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:35 am

" Might get a bit time consuming. (8 entries in a categoryX4categories=32 separate polls just to get to the finals) "

Yeah, and hopefully there will be more entries as well. So that could be quite a bit of voting, manual counting. Maybe better rethink that one ?

I think if the categories are beef (big hunks), pork, ribs, chicken, and an anything goes ...that would just add one category and doable.
But on 2nd thought, where would the goat go :dont: , shouldn't count that out.

I think the meats should be stand alone pics so they are judged as is, and plated could go in the anything goes
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:09 pm

Some pretty good ideas here.

Last Call for suggestions before the brain trust does what it's gonna do :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:40 pm

Personally, I agree with Meat Only pics. I can see where it could throw judging off for some folks.

For turn-in dates, maybe have a full week, Sunday-Sunday, or even 2 weekends, Friday morn to Monday morn, to get pics in. I wonder how many people didn't participate because they couldn't get anything cooked that specific weekend, or who still use a film camera and couldn't get pics developed.

I don't like excessively long polls, such as it seems a point vote system would cause. I liked the 24-hr window between polls open and closed, with results known almost immediately.

I'd like to see if we could keep the votes secret until the end of voting. I wonder how many people didn't vote because it was clear who the winner would be in a given catagory.

For catagories, I like the idea of Beef (low-n-slow), Pork, Chicken, Other (turkey, fish, goat, buffalo, venison), Ribs, Anything Goes, and a Grilled catagory. Grilled would be for steaks, chicken breasts, pork chops, or anything cooked directly over the coals/gas burners. This is 7 catagories, but would ensure more choices for TD MVP, and hopefully more participation.

Personally, I think if we have a large number of prizes, maybe we could have something for each catagory, or prizes for the MVP and a random drawing from all entrants for a second prize package. I think more folks would enter if they had a chance of winning something. (This would work best with a small number of catagories, but who knows?)

Honestly, I liked how it ran this round. I was rushed to get something cooked, but that was me. I was a little (OK, a *lot*) bummed at the small amount of pics in each catagory, and at the number of votes.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:13 am

TX Sandman wrote:
I'd like to see if we could keep the votes secret until the end of voting. I wonder how many people didn't vote because it was clear who the winner would be in a given catagory.

You can't see the results of any poll until you vote. :wink: Thanks for the post, lots of good suggestions there.
Deputy Dave

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:35 am

:oops: I know, but I was thinking maybe be secret even after the vote. That way the drama is there until the last minute. I don't know if the polls can be set up that way, or even if it'd be worth it, but it was a thought.

Besides, it was a little discouraging seeing the actual numbers. :oops:
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:46 am

I think the ways the polls work are embedded in the site software. Some IT guy would be up for days reading code....and could screw up the whole site. Think we'll have to live with that one.

While the numbers seem low, consider it was a vast improvement over the 1st thrown down. We had nearly double the amount of contestants and a 40% increase in voter turnout. :D
Deputy Dave

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:52 am

BTW, site traffic for May set new records for almost everything that records are kept for. Translate that into more exposure for the TBBQF and it's Throw Down plus more exposure for the Throw Down Sponsors. :D
Deputy Dave

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:58 am

It's the closest I have ever come to competing, and had fun, so whatever you all decide...I am in!!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:47 am

DATsBBQ wrote:I think the ways the polls work are embedded in the site software. Some IT guy would be up for days reading code....and could screw up the whole site. Think we'll have to live with that one.

While the numbers seem low, consider it was a vast improvement over the 1st thrown down. We had nearly double the amount of contestants and a 40% increase in voter turnout. :D

I'll say! We suspect that Puff was the only one to vote!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:29 pm

TX Sandman wrote:Personally, I agree with Meat Only pics. I can see where it could throw judging off for some folks.

For turn-in dates, maybe have a full week, Sunday-Sunday, or even 2 weekends, Friday morn to Monday morn, to get pics in. I wonder how many people didn't participate because they couldn't get anything cooked that specific weekend, or who still use a film camera and couldn't get pics developed.

I don't like excessively long polls, such as it seems a point vote system would cause. I liked the 24-hr window between polls open and closed, with results known almost immediately.

For catagories, I like the idea of Beef (low-n-slow), Pork, Chicken, Other (turkey, fish, goat, buffalo, venison), Ribs, Anything Goes, and a Grilled catagory. Grilled would be for steaks, chicken breasts, pork chops, or anything cooked directly over the coals/gas burners. This is 7 catagories, but would ensure more choices for TD MVP, and hopefully more participation.

Personally, I think if we have a large number of prizes, maybe we could have something for each catagory, or prizes for the MVP and a random drawing from all entrants for a second prize package. I think more folks would enter if they had a chance of winning something. (This would work best with a small number of catagories, but who knows?)

Honestly, I liked how it ran this round. I was rushed to get something cooked, but that was me. I was a little (OK, a *lot*) bummed at the small amount of pics in each catagory, and at the number of votes.

Excellent point. I made that suggestion to the mods awhile back. That would be something I would suggest doing, the winner of each category get's a prize rather than just pool all the prizes for 1 winner

Return to “TBBQF Throw Downs”