ECB Thermo upgrade placement ?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

ECB Thermo upgrade placement ?

Postby 2PUPs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:50 pm

I like my lil ol ECB , Smoke n pit bullet smoker for doing small cooks . I want to get rid of the chinsy thermo that came with it , and use my tel-tru 3" dial thermo with 4" stem , when not using it in my UDS . My question is , where would the best placement for it be . On the lid someplace , or just below the top cooking rack . Any suggestions appreciated .

Jeff
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: ECB Thermo upgrade placement ?

Postby BluDawg » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

I would place it just below the top rack; I want to know what the temp is on the surface where the food is, but like the UDS you will have a differential between the center of the pit and the outside wall where the tru-tel is installed. If it where me I would get a less expensive model like the one on my drum and install it on the ECB fire it up and monitor the temps in the center of the upper grate and note the difference in the readings probably 30-50 deg.
I normally cook at 230 deg in the middle of my pit. So the outside on mine reads 180 deg. I rotated the dial so 180 deg is at the 12 o'clock position. A quick glance is all it takes to monitor it. For the actual temp I know I need to add 50 deg. On your ECB I would check The temp in the middle of the bottom too. Then you will have a accurate pic of exactly what is happening in there.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Re: ECB Thermo upgrade placement ?

Postby 2PUPs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Thx Blu . appreciate the help .

Jeff
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5