our first fire together, LOL

This is a where news and announcements are posted and questions on how to use the forum.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

our first fire together, LOL

Postby antaean7 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:41 am

ok, need to know if anyone else was happy and or as proud as I was about burning in my first and new smoker pit. I am going to try and add two pictures here of the pit in my garage and them after moving it to the back yard a picture of the first fire.
here is the picture of the pit in the garage. GO ASTROS !!!!!!!!

first fire

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Re: our first fire together, LOL

Postby bowhnter » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:57 am

antaean7 wrote:ok, need to know if anyone else was happy and or as proud as I was about burning in my first and new smoker pit.

Just wait til you get to put some meat in it! :D
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:43 am

I can not wait, I kinda burned it in last night, I just had coal in it for about 4 hours but could only get the barrel to hit 300 not the up right, it reached 225 only. there was not a stich of wind so I had a fan by the firebox. that helped alittle, but I hat the vent wide open thinkin more air more fire. BUT, just to see, I closed it half way and the fire got hotter. Is that how it works? Is it really backwards then if you think about it? I oiled it this morning and will burn it in tonight with coal, and pecan. CANT WAIT.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:14 pm

Very nice pit :D You're going to enjoy cooking with it :D :D We all get excited with a new smoker. :D
When you fire it up, be sure to open the exhaust all the way and adjust with the firebox vent. :D
Most uprights run slightly cooler than the main section unless it has a baffle. Usually around 75-100* cooler.
You may also need a bigger fire for hotter heat, but 300 and 225 are good cooking temps. use the heat difference for different meats. chicken in the main and ribs or butts in the upright. :D
Good luck tonight. :D :D be sure to post pics.
Jim
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:22 pm

This evening I will only be burning her in with oil on the inside, and SMOKE SMOKE. Going to use coal base, with Pecan. Then she is ready to start cooking. My first will be Saturday night, ribs, oysters, and some bird. Need to get her seasoned fast, we are going to have a BIG shin-dig (did I spell that right?) next weekend. Does anyone ever use that word anymore? shin-dig? (besides me) Will have pictures Sunday morning.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:33 pm

Im lovin it. That is a sweet suprise present!

Cheers! :shadenana:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:56 pm

NICE PIT, I have a Lyfe Tyme as well. I bought a mobile pit made by Lyfe Tyme last year. Its almost a year old and its been VERY good to me. You will like it, congrats on the new pit!!!
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:29 pm

have fun looks like some grate food on the horizon
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:17 am

TONIGHT is the night. In fact I am about to season the ribs. I had to bring everything to work, since I did not do it last night. Got wrapped up in laying the hard wood flooring. Did season the pit last night and really starting to be able to control the temp, unlike the night before. I guess a watched pit will not heat. OK, a little spin of of the " watched pot will not boil". Sounded like it fit. I do have a question thou. Has anyone trying to place anything inside the barrel of a smoker to hold liquid for steam? If so what did you use? Or recommend? My pit doesnt have walls so to speak between the barrel and firebox to allow it to hold a liquid, or the upright. I was thinking of using something like a BIG cast iron bowl, or if it will hold the temp. an aluminum pan, that you use to bake with, or cook a brisket in the oven. It seems it would be fine in a pit since it is ok in an oven. You guys think I am in line there, or wrong in thinking so?
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:35 pm

Congrats on the new smoker! It's good to see the excitement we all share when we get something of that nature, especially a new smoker! Good luck with your first burn with meat in it. I'd also put an oven thermometer inside near center to check out the temp in lieu of trusting the wall mounts. As for water in my pit, I don't use it. Ya really don't need it unless yur burning on one of the old vertical Brinkmans and it was there to absorbe heat, not necessarily to steam the meat. I'm sure I'll get a bit of flack on this, but what the hey........dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:20 am

good lookin smoker!
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:21 am

well?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:00 am

IT was AWSOME!!!! EVERYONE loved the ribs, and chicken. Just need to tweak a little more on my Rib reciept. here are a few pics.
That you guys for the support, IT worked out well. Gunna have to start my own team, well of course a little more practice is needed before I jump in the ring with the big boys. hahahaha OH, the XX was not mine.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:11 am

Good looking food. :D :D Glad your first cook went well and everything turned out great. :D :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:26 am

Way to go! Glad it all turned out for ya
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven