Decision on 2 pits JJ or Gator

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kenner18v
Pilgrim

Decision on 2 pits JJ or Gator

Postby kenner18v » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm looking at 2 pits, the Gator 16x32 budget pit smoker for $700 and the JJ 16x30 smoker for 675. This will be my first smoker and will be used just for backyard family use!!! But I want something that looks good and works. Both pits look well built and looks good.

So far I think I will get more pit with the JJ it has more working space and warming rack also. I'm looking for suggestions on which holds temp better and just all around cooking quality. I don't want to spend over 900-1000 max. I really don't know if the 2 extra inches of cooking space on the gator is worth losing the extra prep area on the jj.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Sonnier
TMSFan
Pilgrim

Re: Decision on 2 pits JJ or Gator

Postby TMSFan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:01 pm

JJ
No question about it. Awesome pits.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:02 pm

I have known Ritch (gator pit) for over 10 yrs, and pull a custom mobile rig he made, thiers no decision... when it comes to cratsmanship and customer service...Gator pit is the only way to go!! :wink: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:07 pm

Don't know either of the makers, so all things being equal I'd go with the pit with a bigger cooking area. Prep area can be added (table, stand etc) but you're stuck with the cooking area.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:31 pm

With your budget, I would be lookin' at a 20" X 32" budget Gator for $850. You can always add prep area to something later or just set up a small table close by, but the added depth and area of the cooking chamber would be nice, especially when doing ribs or briskets.
Jim
pitsbyjj
Pilgrim

Postby pitsbyjj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:15 am

pits by jj ,will come with pull meat rack , folding table,thermometer and a lot more details. but is customer choice to get the right pit.
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Purchasing a pit is a big decision. Just watch pricing yourself down to a pit you are not going to be happy with once you spent your money. Being that you are buying steel, I suggest looking for the best core pit you can find. All the little add-ons can kill your budget and kill your core pit. I say core, because with steel you can add and modify as you go. I do not know JJ pits so I am not going to say "Go Gator" because I think JJ is bad. I'm not going to add names to the fire because I think you mentioned two names, not others. I am going to say, I know many Gator pits and have seen some of Ritch's work many years old. His pits are like that cast iron skillet you always go to when you want to make cornbread.... solid, seasoned, and the most even cooking you will come across.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:00 pm

As DATS and OSD say; go with the cooking area. Prep area can always be added with a folding 24" x 48" folding table, or larger down the road. I find that a work space off to the side is better as in roomier and safer away from the heat. Just my 2 cents. Good luck...

joe
honu41
zilla USER_AVATAR
Zilla
Rustler

Postby Zilla » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:09 pm

I'd go with a Gator, but I own two and Ritch is a friend so I guess I'm biased. I'm more concerned that you want a 16" pit. :shock: Totally useless IMO as is an 18". Ritch sells a great backyard 20" x 40" budget pit for about $1000.00. I'd advise you to save a bit longer and get one of those.
eric USER_AVATAR
Eric
Wrangler

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 pm

The good news is they are both great pits. You can't go wrong
Modified Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn
Primo Oval XL
WSM 22
Weber Kettle Grill 22.5

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”