CaptJack
Outlaw

Heads Up Review - Meater+

Postby CaptJack » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:57 pm

Heads Up Review - Meater+
I have done two cooks with the Meater+
It is Bluetooth & Wifi
The + model is supposed to have 165'ft range from your phone = NOT
The first cook i did was a chicken breast in the oven.
The charging base for the probe has a Bluetooth repeater in it. I had the charging base with the repeater on the oven door. I was back in my bedroom about 40'ft away, reading a book and my phone was out of range.
the next cook was an Axis roast out on the OldSmokey. I put the charging base with the Bluetooth repeater in the kitchen window over the sink, 7'ft from the OldSmokey. I was sitting in my front office with my phone 29'ft away and it was out of range. Then I put my phone in the window next to the Bluetooth repeater, in direct sight of the OldSmokey it was still out of range.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
A $100 FAILURE
My 10yr old Maverick 732 doesn't really have the 300'ft range that they claim, but it still works anywhere in the house from the OldSmokey...
Attachments
meater-smart-thermometer-011.jpg
M_01.jpg
M_02.jpg
OS_mearter-Axis.jpg
OS_90144.jpg
OS_90149.jpg
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Heads Up Review - Meater+

Postby Rambo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:41 pm

Sorry; thanks for the heads up
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:56 pm

Thanks for the "hands on report", Capt'n - - - Hope things are well with you and yours. :tup: :cheers: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:09 pm

For All to Know

I have a 10yr old Maverick 732 remote thermometer
which is simple radio- transmitter to radio receiver
Maverick claimed 300'ft range but that's only outside in line of sight between the two - maybe? 8)
but my good ole Maverick works anywhere in the house from the OldSmokey
and that's good enough for me.

I bought the Meater+ because I wanted to monitor the cook with my phone
after I had dismal results with the less than 30'ft range
I started reading the reviews for all the Bluetooth meat thermometers.
Apparently they all have the 30'ft failure transmission range problem.
Which means we stick with the good ole fashioned radio- transmitter to receiver tech
and unless you are standing next to your bbq the Bluetooth tech is total BS
Last edited by CaptJack on Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:17 pm

Can’t speak to the Bluetooth models but my Maverick works like a champ. One complaint, and it’s small, if I’m in the house it will lose connection after 25-30 minutes. In fairness it probably 150 ft and coming through 3 walls. I walk it outside, it reconnects job done.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:21 pm

GTR wrote:Can’t speak to the Bluetooth models but my Maverick works like a champ. One complaint, and it’s small, if I’m in the house it will lose connection after 25-30 minutes. In fairness it probably 150 ft and coming through 3 walls. I walk it outside, it reconnects job done.

If I'm in the very back of the house my Maverick will do the same. But if i'm in my front office I'm only 30' from my OldSmokey.
For many years I've literally put the receiver in the kitchen window which is 7'ft from the OldSmokey in line of sight.
I just walk through the kitchen and glance at the receiver
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:57 pm

Seen several reports of disappointment from Meater purchases going back to their kick starter campaign to get up and running.

Sorry it didn’t live up to the advertisement. Thanks for the review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:00 am

It’s hard to beat the ThermoWorks products. I have their Smoke X-4 that claims over a mile range line of sight. I’ve yet to test that but I have been 300 feet away from the transmitter/pit with a 3 story 12 unit apartment building in between and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:48 am

Captain good to see you again, the Meater may have failed but the steak didn’t ! Pretty piece of meat. I do rely on my Thermopens primary probe (not remote) models, both still work like champions after 10 years, I use these for grilling. For smoking I’ve grown so accustomed to my cookers over the years now I rely totally on time to monitor (“30 minutes gone by? Time to feed the baby more wood”).

I also have this highly primitive device I was given as a kid that seems to work well if not overserved with beer:
Attachments
38F44584-BDBE-49D7-ABE8-89CB5B4CBB7B.jpeg
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:05 pm

Blue tooth is just radio on a different frequency with an imbedded data protocol.
there may be explanations for your failures, the first question is, does the charging base/ repeater show connectivity to the thermal sensor? there may be no indicator to prove which side of it is loosing connectivity? I am guessing from your report, that the phone is loosing connectivity with the repeater base? are there other blue tooth devices in the close proximity to the repeater? probably should contact the manufacturer for help; I too have the maverick and it is rock solid; but would think the device you are testing should work well.. No disrespect to your test results, it could be defective product :rose:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:24 am

thank you for the report Capt.
I have pretty much retired everything for our new smokes from therma-Works. The alarm on these are loud enough to hear a two blocks away lol. I wanted the Smokex4 but they were back ordered so I opted for two of the original smokes. I am glad I went this route for when I am cooking on my offset or two drums.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Fri May 07, 2021 7:25 pm

Thanks gents! My Maverick ET-732 base unit refuses to power up anymore so I've been looking for what to buy to replace it. The Meater and similar products aren't reliable yet. Seeing Kevin's post I think I'll get a ThermoWorks Smoke 4. It would be handy if we get back to entertaining again, for example if I have two cuts of meat at different levels in my patio bullet style smoker, or if I have one meat cut on my patio horizontal offset and one or more meat cuts on my patio bullet style smoker, at a lower cost than two Smoke 2 units.

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”