Thought I'd Try It Tomorrow

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Thought I'd Try It Tomorrow

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:49 pm

I've got to get up early in the morning and fire up the ECB for a Beer Can Turkey (using Mtn. Dew instead) and I'm thinking about using my Maverick meat probe with the receiver box but not the remote box. Basically all I want to know is when the breast gets to 165 before lifting the lid for a visual. However, the probe wire will have to run through the vent hole in the lid which stays open anyhow BUT I'll have to unplug it from the Receiver before removing the lid so this should be a learning experience. The side door allows me to look at the charcoal pan and the thermometer in the lid tells me ?about? what temps the ECB is at but they are not that critical since ol Gobble Gobble is sitting on a liquid throne that's continuously basting from inside the cavity. Gonna be kinda fun to see if the Maverick in the ECB is a plus or minus having to go thru the lid hole. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Thought I'd Try It Tomorrow

Postby Russ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Emm, I've used a can of coke on a bird, 'twas beautiful I tell ya. Good luck with yours.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Good luck with your turkey tomorrow, OUP.

What I've done with my temperature probe cables is run them out between the lid and the ECB body. Since the lid has such a loose fit, there's enough gap to fit the cables out, under the lid. That way, you can lift the lid for a quick peek wiithout diconnecting anything. An alternative would be to drill a small hole in the top of the body, at around the level of the top grill, to pass the cables through and just use a small wad of aluminum foil as a gasket to prevent air leaks.

Just for full disclosure, the 2-probe wireless thermometer I use is not a Maverick. It's an el-cheapo I found on Amazon.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:38 pm

thanks, PB, we got surprised with a Cold Front that's blowing in now and it's supposed to be 37 in the morning so I may not even worry with the Maverick - - - - hard to say at the moment but we'll see
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:33 am

Well, it's done and way too early because of the strong North winds out there this morning. I used the Maverick and I'm glad I did, however, I'm gonna make some changes (aka hole for probe) as PB suggested so I can "easily" monitor if I need to. In less than 3 hours the breasts were at 168 so I pulled, double foil wrapped, put it in a tight roasting pot with lid and she's in the oven at 200 until I decided to put it in the cooler and transport later. Sure hope it doesn't dry out in the oven this way. :dont: :roll:
Other than the Bird there's only Hootchie Mama and Mountain Dew.
IMG_0044.JPG

Used the lid air vent hole to exit the probe wire to connect to the Receiver
IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Just began the process and looking good
IMG_0047.JPG

Ready to pull and fingers crossed for the thigh meat.
IMG_0048.JPG

Forgot to take any pics of the smoked bird but maybe later when I get ready to carve her.
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:36 pm

That bird looks good, OUP. I know the ECB gets a bit tricky in cold, windy weather.

In one of yor pics, it looks like you have a gap in the lid gasket. That might be a good spot to try running the wire for the temperature probe, prior to drilling a hole. You can always give it a "dry run" when you have more time and the weather's better.

Have a Merry Christmas! :santa:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:06 pm

I got the carving duties of two Turkeys and a Ham today and mine got rave reviews from the expert Judges (my Sons) - - - Lawdy at the Food my D.I.L. had spread out for her family and ours to pig out on - - - and we did - - - She is an awesome Cook and one of my mentors altho she laughs that off, it's true. Made out like a Bandit under the Tree :santa: with a couple of gift cards and lots of goodies. Some of these spices and stuff I have never heard of but my D.I.L. will be sure to let me know how to use them :laughing7: :D :lol: I can't wait to get that Camo Cutting Board Greasy and scared up a little bit. :chef: :salut: OF COURSE the High Light of the Day was hanging with my Family. :cheers:

IMG_0001.JPG

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”