New thermos

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cokeguy101 USER_AVATAR
cokeguy101
Bandolero

New thermos

Postby cokeguy101 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:48 pm

So the guy that built my pit sent me some new bigger dialed thermos, with his logo on them, free of charge...can't complain about that. Think is the ones I have are a much smaller hole. These say 3/4 deep 1/2 inch on the back.

My question is do I drill, tap or cut a 1/2 inch hole and then put a washer and nut on the back to seal it or what do you all recommend :?:

Not the best OK, actually a bad one, maybe it will help maybe it wont
High On Smoke BBQ
Family+Friends+Cooking = Good Times

R&O Fat Girl
Smokemaster off set with vertical
Large Big Green Egg
2 Hasty Bakes
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Re: New thermos

Postby CJATE » Tue May 11, 2010 8:29 pm

i drilled mine no washer

I dont see how it would matter so long as it's tight
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
gomeat USER_AVATAR
Gomeat
Cowboy

Postby Gomeat » Wed May 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Those are probably 1/2"NPT (national pipe thread) fittings. Most thermos are. So you could weld a 1/2" NPT nipple on to your smoker and screw the thermo in. Or find a 1/2" NPT threaded nut to fit the back and go the drill a hole route. I think you'll have to go to a real hardware store to find the NPT nut. I know that Tel-tru has them on their website as a "Thermometer installation Kit". But they're too expensive IMHO.
http://timstailgatebbqteam.com/
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 4626257902" target="_blank
Hasty Bake Fiesta & Hastings
Klose Smoker
"Acta Non Verba; In Incendia Verum"
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Fri May 14, 2010 6:48 am

Cokeguy,
I put in two the other day. The best way to put a hole in these things is with a Uni-bit. It's a stepped sort of reamer/drill that has a bunch of diameters. They come in a few sizes and are available at Lowes and HomeD. The downside is that they're pricey. Probably $30 for the one that goes up to 3/4". Put a 3/4" hole in then tap it with a 1/2" pipe tap. OSH will have a pipe tap. My two thermometers from ebay had nuts with them. But, cheap, thin nuts are available in the pipe section of the hardware stores. Put it down low, just a couple inches above the meat rack. Having more than one thermometer will help you understand what's going on in there. Check ebay, they're cheap. By the way, once you use a Uni-bit, you'll wonder how you lived without one.

PS, if you don't want to thread the hole in your bbq and just want the nut to hold it, you'll need to put a 7/8" hole in there.

[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”