UDS Build

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Re: UDS Build

Postby 2PUPs » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Well , I finnally finnished my custom UDS , it took awhile to do at work on my free time . I want to thank the people in this forum for the help and support you have given me through my build . Without you I would have not been able to do this , Thanks . Here is a couple pics of her , still need to name her though . If the weather cooperates this weekend I will do a seasoning on it , and do a temp test . Will post results when I do that . Here is my version of my finnished UDS .

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:12 pm

What can I say but, VERY NICE. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:30 am

Outstanding, don't think I'll ever see another UDS look that good!
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:46 am

In your case we dont need to call that a USD. It should be a GLDS !!!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

19texan69 USER_AVATAR
19texan69
Wrangler

Postby 19texan69 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 am

Very nice!!!!!!!
Laissez les bon temps rouler
2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Postby 2PUPs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:32 pm

This weekend is suppose to be a nice warm one here , in the north east , near 70 degrees . I plan on doing a seasoning of the UDS , and a temp test on it . Will post results sunday night .
2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Postby 2PUPs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:31 am

Well today is the first fire up of my UDS . I started it at 9:15 am this morning . I used about 1/3 of a bag of kingsford match light charcoal . Two hrs in ,it has been holding its temp at right about 275 F to this point . I have the ball valves 1/2 open and exhaust open except for the three little ones in top of lid . Its about 60 degrees out today . Pardon for my test results so far , I am not a rocket scientist , :mrgreen: . Will post more results today in a few hrs . Heres a couple pics of it running . Sorry bout blur in the thermo pic , was in unusual stance , :?:

Jeff
Last edited by 2PUPs on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Postby 2PUPs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:23 am

So far so good . Added 2 more pnds of kingsford charcoal , not the match light stuff , cranked her up to 400 f to get a good seasoning on her , seems to be doing ok so far to this point . Altough I think I need to modify the exhaust some , a little bit bigger , and down into the barrel some , but will wait and see on that , I am trying to get valve settings down for diffrent temps , so that is what I am concentrating on now . I opened up the three extra exhaust holes and shut ball valves to a lil less than 1/4 open , shes holding steady at about 265 F . Happy Qing , will update in a couple hrs . Going on six hrs in a lil while got her holding at 245 F .

Jeff
txbbqman_1 USER_AVATAR
Txbbqman_1
Rustler

Postby Txbbqman_1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Wow all I can say is WOW and Sweet nice looking rig
Brad

Smokin' Hobos BBQ Team

Lang 84 Deluxe w/ Chargriller
2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Postby 2PUPs » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:25 am

Well yesterday was a little touch n go with the first cook on my uds . I deffinetly need a bigger exhaust pipe on lid . Also Iv`e heard that it should stick down through lid towards top cooking rack , not sure on that though . I dont know if I loaded basket to much if thats possible , usede a full load of coal in basket using the minion method . Or if my basket is way to big , 15 x 15 x 5-1/2 . Besides that it runs pretty dang good . Just needs a lil tuning and she`ll be golden . Any ideas on the exhaust and coal basket would be greatly appreciated .

Jeff
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:38 am

The exhaust doesn't need to stick down into the drum past the lid. One thing that will create a problem is having too tall of an exhaust pipe. An 8" - 12" tall exhaust seems to work the best. When they get too tall on a UDS, they won't draw right. I use 2" exhaust on all the drums I've built ( over 3 dozen of them in different sizes ) except one that I used a 3" exhaust on and found it was too big and I had to keep it closed a little to keep it running smooth.

JWWFM-YMMV
Jim
2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Postby 2PUPs » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:16 am

Thx OSD , my exhaust is 2" diam . but sits at a height of 14-1/2" , I wll deffinetly cut down , Thinkn maybe 10" height will do the trick , I new it was something to do with the exhaust couldnt put my finger on it though . Thanks again O .

Jeff
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:55 am

Just a little info on the exhaust on a UDS. The exhaust on a UDS, like any closed vertical cooker ( Spicewine, WSM, BGE, just examples, ) where the heat source is directly under the cooking area ( even if a diverter or water pan is used ) does not need the high volume of draw on the exhaust because of the heat convection ( heat rising straight up ) and the small size of the fire needed to produce smoking temps.
They don't hold to the same principle as an offset smoker where the heat and smoke has to be drawn from the side and along the length of the smoke chamber and back if it's a reverse flow. Offsets have a need for the bigger-taller exhaust to achieve and maintain the larger fire and to draw the heat and air over that distance.
A BGE has no exhaust pipe and at smoking temps is intake and exhaust are barely open. My Spicewine only uses a 2" exhaust about 12" tall ( the larger model only has two - 2" exhausts ). A WSM does not have an exhaust pipe. Many UDS's are built with no exhaust pipe, just holes drilled into the lid ( like the original BDS ) and they work great.
What does happen when the exhaust pipe gets too tall on the UDS is the draw will create a swirling effect of the air within the pipe because it has to travel too far to exit. This creates an uneven exhaust flow. Basically the exhaust comes out in gulps of air, rather than an even flow.

JWWFM-YMMV
Jim
2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Postby 2PUPs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:43 pm

I cut my exhaust down to 9" . Also , I forgot when I drilled the hole in the mounting plate for the exhaust pipe , I under sized it by about an 1/8th inch around whole pipe, and forgot to file the hole in mounting plate to the size of pipe , hope that fixes my exhaust problems . Well gave here a test run with the tunning of exhaust pipe . Threw in about 40 kingsford biquets and fired her up . Have her holding at about 255 F for the last 3 hrs , she seems steady now , thx for info OSD .

Jeff

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”