Starting UDS project soon (questions)

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ray USER_AVATAR
ray
Pilgrim

Starting UDS project soon (questions)

Postby ray » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:29 pm

I have taken my first step toward building my first UDS. I have acquired a 55gal barrel. I am planning on incorporating a Weber 22.5" Kettle into my build. I have a some questions:

Is it necessary to create a flange by cutting the first couple of inches off the Weber Kettle (bottom piece) in order to get the 22.5" lid to fit nicely atop the barrel?

If I use the charcoal grate from the Weber to make the bottom of my charcoal basket how much expanded steel do I need? I am planning on using bolts as welding isn't really a possibility. Any thoughts on round vs. square charcoal baskets?

I want the UDS to have 2 cooking racks. Any suggestions on rack placement?...ie distance from top or bottom of barrel.

Another thought I had was cutting the bottom out of the barrel and setting it atop the Weber Kettle base. Any thoughts on that idea?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Starting UDS project soon (questions)

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm

ray wrote:I have taken my first step toward building my first UDS. I have acquired a 55gal barrel. I am planning on incorporating a Weber 22.5" Kettle into my build. I have a some questions:

Is it necessary to create a flange by cutting the first couple of inches off the Weber Kettle (bottom piece) in order to get the 22.5" lid to fit nicely atop the barrel?
On the one we did for Ox the Weber lid fit the drum just fine there are pix of that build on here. That barrel was the type that has a clamp on top.

If I use the charcoal grate from the Weber to make the bottom of my charcoal basket how much expanded steel do I need? I am planning on using bolts as welding isn't really a possibility. Any thoughts on round vs. square charcoal baskets?
That's a question for Bluz or Ox I defer to them. Don't know where you are Ray but in the DFW area Bluz can build the charcoal baskets.

I want the UDS to have 2 cooking racks. Any suggestions on rack placement?...ie distance from top or bottom of barrel.
When using the kettle dome for a lid you don't need additional headspace so the top rack can be a couple inches from the top then the second rack down far enough to clear a brisket or turkey or whatever you might stick on that second rack generally 6-7" would do.

Another thought I had was cutting the bottom out of the barrel and setting it atop the Weber Kettle base. Any thoughts on that idea?

We cut the bottom out of Ox's and made that the top then he has a clamp-on removable bottom for clean-out. Setting the drum on the Weber base though would be top heavy and unstable without some serious bracing. Also would raise the height of the cooker pretty high.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Ox190
Bandolero

Postby Ox190 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:27 pm

My weber lid fits almost perfect, I get a little trickle of smoke coming out of it at the beginning but it usually seals itself off. I'm sure you could spend a lot of time making it fit perfect but it doesn't bother me.

If you're in DFW I'd ask Bluz for a charcoal basket, they are worth every penny, I'm pretty sure this thing could last me a lifetime.

I concur with Papa Tom if you use the Weber lid you can put the top rack just a couple of inches below the top. I will have to measure how close my bottom one is from my firebox. I think it's around 20-22 inches though. I smoked 3 briskets last weekend and the one on the bottom rack was perfect with nothing between it and the fire except the fat. I did it fat side down.
Custom vertical offset.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:32 pm

If you are using a closed head drum you can cut about 3 " below the top of the Kettle bottom that piece will nestle into the drum and the Weber lid will fit nicely. to figure how much expanded metal you will need take the dia. of the coal grate and multiply it by 3.1416 and add 2" for bolting it together. 8" is a good hight . to figure out the placement of your grills the bottom one will be 26" from the bottom of your coal basket. the top one you can place at the top of the drum since you will be using the Weber lid.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
ray USER_AVATAR
ray
Pilgrim

Postby ray » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks guys....This is just the information I was looking for.
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:15 pm

i didnt use anything off of a webber. i used the lid off of the drum. and put holes in the top for my smoke to flow.
RedNeck
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:23 pm

ray wrote:Is it necessary to create a flange by cutting the first couple of inches off the Weber Kettle (bottom piece) in order to get the 22.5" lid to fit nicely atop the barrel?

While it's not a necessity to use a Weber lid it does help when using multiple cooking grates. My drums were a fraction too large to accommodate the Weber lid. If the kettle lid doesn't fit your drum, one option is to just cut the rolled edge off of the drum. The lid should fit then...

I have read many posts where folks have cut the kettle bottom as you mentioned and it seems to work grate! You still get that air tight seal that is so important to UDS operations and you can still utilize the original flat drum lid (if it had one) when you wanted.

Here is a good link describing the process if you want to take a look at it...
http://smokingmeatforums.com/forums/sho ... adid=74979

Now the only negatives that I have heard about using the kettle lids is that there have been some reports of the UDSs having a hot (or hotter) spot right under the lid vents. Dunno anything further about that.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks James I misunderstood what he was going to do with the bottom. I guess the easiest solution is find a drum like Ox's that the Weber lid just fits.
tarde venientibus ossa....
SITNFAT
Pilgrim

Postby SITNFAT » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:33 am

I just finished building my UDS this weekend I bought the 40 dollar dura flam from wally world and actually bent the lip out on the lid then when mounted i went around with a small hammer and formed the lid down onto the drum seems to work well although I have only cooked on it once. I went to TSC and bought two pieces of expanded metal and mounted them to the smaller grate that comes with the grill they were about 15 bucks a piece
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:44 am

I use a 22.5" Weber kettle lid for my drum and it works great. I have a closed-top drum and just used a torch to cut out the top inside of that outer ring that surrounds the top of the drum, then just used a grinder to clean up the rough edges to avoid cuts & scrapes when reaching into the drum. My kettle lid fits that drum as if it were made for it.

I've always understood that the standard distance from the cooking grate to the charcoal grate (bottom of the charcoal basket) is 24", so that's how mine is set up. I have a lower cooking grate set 24" from that charcoal grate, and a second cooking grate 6-7" above the lower one. All that said, I've never loaded up mine enough to need both grates but it's nice to have the space if I need it.

For my charcoal basket, I went to Home Depot and bought a 12" x 24" piece of expanded metal and cut it straight down the middle with a grinder into 2 pieces 6" x 24" each. I put those pieces end to end with a little overlap and bolted them together using 1/4" stainless bolts, washers, lockwashers, & nuts. Then I just brought the other end around forming a ring and bolted together the same way. That step is actually a little more difficult than it sounds when you're working by yourself with no way to secure things. Anyway, it's just a charcoal ring that sits on top of a $5 cooking grate (22.5") that I picked up at the local Academy store.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
ray USER_AVATAR
ray
Pilgrim

Postby ray » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:59 pm

Well I've been sorta "off duty" on my UDS project for the past couple of weeks due to work and Scout Leader obligations but I am back on it this week. I am contemplating using a pre-manufactured piece for my coal basket.

Here's the story: Last summer the wife and I found what we thought would be a great deal on a propane mosquito zapper for the backyard. After seeing these devices for sale at Home Depot for hundreds of dollars we couldn't pass up a chance to buy one for $50 at a pawn shop. Trouble with it was that we didn't know if it would actually work or not.(neither did the pawn shop) We decided to poney up the $50 and take our chances. Big shock....it turned out to be a dud and we are out $50 for our effort. Since then, I've had this piece of "modern art" sitting beside the house in my backyard. I noticed recently, however, that it used a nice piece of metal as a receptacle for the bottom ring of a propane tank. I have removed the metal from the mosquito zapper chassis and am considering using it as my charcoal basket. The question I have is if it's dimensions will allow it to function properly? It measures 8.5" in diameter and 7.5" tall. Seems like it would be perfect. (see attached photo) Only thing I'd have to do is drill holes in the bottom area for ashes to drop through. :idea:
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Sounds a little small, but go for it and let us know!
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:22 pm

you might want to rais it off of the ground with a bolt or all thread just my .02cents on the deal. cause you need a way for air to move also from your intakes at the bottom and for your ashes to fall throw. just remember on a small baskett like that. you might run out of fuel befor the end of a long cook. but james and some of the other guys knows more than me about the usd.
RedNeck
ray USER_AVATAR
ray
Pilgrim

Postby ray » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:30 pm

nbrdnck--You are correct. I should have stated earlier that I will raise it above an ash pan on bolts. :o
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:42 pm

and not to put anyone on a spot. but i turned to JamesB and OSD when i built mine OSD has a good website to give you insturctions if you get lost and james well i have drank beer with him and i knew i call him and he is there to answer when i have a Q about it.
RedNeck

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”