Got my Big Ugly Pit back!

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Got my Big Ugly Pit back!

Postby JamesB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 pm

Well, after over 2.5 yrs, I have my Big Ugly Pit back home... Long story short is that it was given to me by a friend after his dad passed away. it had a solid axle under it and a pipe welded to that as the tongue. Needless to say, it was a very interesting tow home from Houston... It was rumored to be about 40 years old at the time I got it.

I cooked on it that way in the driveway for a few years and then a friends husband asked to tackle the job of getting it mobile. Well, big problem is that during that entire time, we were both on the road for ~9 months of the year and no time to work on it. So it sat outside behind his shop...

In the last month or two he's been in town and working on it. I've been helping when I could get out to his shop. He didn't do everything like I told him to, but this will work... Since this pit is 44" wide and has work shelves on either side, we opted to put a basket on the front to haul wood/supplies

Oh well at least I got my pit back. If the rain hold off, I'll get her painted up later in the week... Got a seasoning fire in her right now.

Just home from the shop. It tows good and straight,,,
Hit it with the powerwasher and some Dawn soap. Now I've got to do the same thing to the driveway. I'm going to have to cut some length off of the jackstand. It's too long and I bent it backing into the drivway. No harm to the trailer or hitch.
He duplicated the size and placement of the old firebox, which is fine by me, but there could have been more effort put into the door...
Inside, there was only 1 cooking grate, so we added a second one that is about 18" wide and I can slide it out of the way to access the non-sliding main grate.
I still want to cut the outter shelves off and get them re-made. Now they are different heights and have raised expanded on them. Want to replace with flat expanded.
I need to replace this thermo. It was on the pit when I got it and used to work. The amazing thing is that even with the placement on top of a 44" diameter tank, it read within 10° of the cooking grate. I've got to find one like it that I can afford.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Got my Big Ugly Pit back!

Postby OSD » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:07 pm

Lookin' good. :D A little cleaning and paint and she'll be as good as new or better with the new trailer. 8)
Jim
highpockets77
Wrangler

Postby highpockets77 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:22 pm

looks good little bit pf tlc and it will be just like new!
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 pm

Thx fellas... The areas where the paint is off is where I hit it hard with the pressure washer today. I'll blast it again tomorrow when I have more time to get more of the old paint off. Anything that sticks after tomorrow is getting painted over.
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:56 pm

OK let me get this straight, your back yard is full and muddy, your garage now is brimming with wood , from a recent purchase, and along with other other things, and you hav both parking spaces next to the house , need I mention where the good looking one normally parks her suburban, and your not asking for a fight???? :violent: :violent: :argue: :argue: :slap: :slap: :slap: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
Are you maybe trying to copy what I do, and have you not learned from my mistakes? Do we need a beer to mull these decisions over?????
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 pm

Well saddle up and get on over here then... I've got a fire in the ugly pit right now seasoning the new grates...

And now that the backyard has dried up, I guess I need to start moving some of this wood out of the garage... It needs a little more seasoning. :shock:
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:51 pm

I was gonna say,good thing you have a long driveway.You really can cook for an army now! :lol:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:58 pm

Well, I'll be able to cook much better once I talk Bluz into helping me add some intake! Running the pit tonight I've realized that there is not enough intake air without cracking the door open.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:29 pm

Big Ed wrote:I was gonna say,good thing you have a long driveway.You really can cook for an army now! :lol:

Now if you had a driveway as long as mine........
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
Big Ed wrote:I was gonna say,good thing you have a long driveway.You really can cook for an army now! :lol:

Now if you had a driveway as long as mine........

Not as long and a bunch less curves! :shock:
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:50 am

good looking pit james.
RedNeck
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Great looking pit James! It ain't ugly!!!!! I am sure between you and Bluz you can modify it to be first class! Thanks for sharing the pics... :)

joe
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:50 pm

Looks like she'll do just fine! Serious wood/accessory box too!!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:03 am

Well... talked with Bluz last night and he's gonna add 2 intakes. One on either side of the firebox... That should allow me the flexibility I want.! I would hate to think that I couldn't get the old girl up to higher temps for cooking turkeys and such around the holidays... Might have to buy ol' Bluz a beer or something for his helpfulness! :lol:
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:40 am

James, that looks like it will be very tounge heavy when that wood box is full.
I had to move the axle on my pit for the same reason
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”