UDS Build

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Puck
Pilgrim

Postby Puck » Sat May 31, 2008 1:33 pm

Its not a Greenlee Brand, but I might buy one when I start on my Drum.
:D
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=96718
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:38 am

Hey guys...

Being a deputy and all, I put my badge on and had my bullet in my pocket just in case I needed it, but it seems that we got a little off topic here in the USD thread.

The pics of Robs cook and the discussion about the Tutu benefit cook are in the process of being moved into the smokehouse section of the forum.

They haven't been deleted, but just moved. It may take several hours for them to show up in the smokehouse.

Thanks for understanding.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:02 pm

If anyone needs ball valves for their UDS projects. Harbor Freight has them on sale right now. :D :D

Here's a link to the coupon you need to print out and take to the store or for ordering online. :D

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/em ... es/19a.jpg
Jim
Puck
Pilgrim

Postby Puck » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:05 am

OSD and the likes seem to be well on top of this Drum Building.....
My question: And Im just throwing this out there......
Yall talked of putting a baffle in the drum between the coals and meat, but still wanted grease dripping on the coals.

Would it work, if you had a second grate (or small basket if you will), just above the coals layerd with Lava Rocks?

In yalls way of thinking, would that keep enough direct heat off the meat while still keeping the burnt grease flavor?

:oops: everytime I see a propain grill on the curb for trash pick-up, I swipe the Regulator and all the Lava Rocks along with the racks...... :oops:
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 am

I don't see any reason the lava rocks won't work as a shield. I think your going to find that they will clog up and not allow for the grease to drop on the fire if they are to compact in your basket.

I've been using a doubled up piece of HD aluminum foil with a bunch of holes punched in it as to block a bit of the direct heat. This still allows for a good amount of the fat to fall on the fire.

Good luck and take pics!

James.
Puck
Pilgrim

Postby Puck » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:45 am

JamesB wrote:I don't see any reason the lava rocks won't work as a shield. I think your going to find that they will clog up and not allow for the grease to drop on the fire if they are to compact in your basket.

I've been using a doubled up piece of HD aluminum foil with a bunch of holes punched in it as to block a bit of the direct heat. This still allows for a good amount of the fat to fall on the fire.

Good luck and take pics!

James.

I was thinking, just a slight layer of Lava Rocks. Sorta more air than rock and just above the coals (to get em hot).....????
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:07 am

Puck wrote:I was thinking, just a slight layer of Lava Rocks. Sorta more air than rock and just above the coals (to get em hot).....????

Should work! Give it a try, take pics and let us know how it went!

James.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:19 am

Give it a try and let us know how it works. :D
I agree with James they may clog up, but then you said spaced out more. My first thoughts were that they will defeat what you are trying to do. That type of Lava rock is used in grills to get extra hot to hold heat and sizzle the drippings. :scratch: I'm thinking it may have the reverse effect and be like putting the hot coals closer to the meat rather than working as a shield. :dont: Only way to know is to try. :D 8)
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:10 am

Long ago when I was using a ECB I did the lava rock and I remember it working ok . I also remember putting a layer of 4" terra cotta tiles with 1/2" spacing and it also helped.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Puck
Pilgrim

Postby Puck » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:51 pm

OSD wrote:...That type of Lava rock is used in grills to get extra hot to hold heat and sizzle the drippings. I'm thinking it may have the reverse effect and be like putting the hot coals closer to the meat rather than working as a shield. ...

Like I said, it was just an off the wall idea that came to me.

I was thinking (like you stated OSD), if the lava rocks in fact absorb heat then it would act as a heat sink??? maybe? On the other hand, it might just stablize the heat and keep from having an ebb and flow effect??? maybe?

In my screwie way of thinking, the rocks could never put off the same amount of heat that is applied to them. I have a 30 gallon trash can about a third of the way filled with the darn things and was tryin to figure a way to use em. Yeah, Im a packrat. :oops:

Im still along ways off from pics or a test run! Been doing lots of figuring & beer drinking and not so much building.... :oops:
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:48 pm

Aloha...

I am thinking of using lava rocks in the upright portion of my Gator for small cooks since it has a charcoal grill. The lava rock I plan to use are the real dense stuff. The stuff in gassers are more like pumice and real lightweight and some will even float in water.

I too am concerned that drippings on the hot rocks may generate excessive smoke and a possible solution is to put a disposable foil pan w/ water or beer under the meats. :roll: I guess I'll find out this weekend. :)

a hui hou,
honu41
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:10 pm

I got this idea to build a Mini UDS the other day when I score some small drums. I picked up a Weber Smokey Joe silver at a yard sale for $5, it will be for parts.

16 gal drum that had gel/creme hand soap in it. Beat out a couple little dents.

Got to play with fire. :twisted: :twisted: Burned off the old paint

ImageImage
Marked out all the holes for drilling

Used three 1/2" intakes - 2 with caps and 1 with a valve

ImageImage
Built a mini basket

All repainted and ready to put together

Caps, valve, and cooking rack installed

All together with the lid from the Smokey Joe. The lid acually fit the drum better than it did the original base. :shock:

All finished, temp gauge installed.

It's small ( 14.5" grill ) but, I think it will be fun to play with for smaller cooks. Maybe some chicken?? :D
Last edited by OSD on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:07 pm

OSD wrote:I got this idea to build a Mini UDS the other day when I score some small drums.

Too cool! Can't wait to hear how she cooks!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:44 pm

OSD wrote:I got this idea to build a Mini UDS the other day when I score some small drums. I picked up a Weber Smokey Joe silver at a yard sale for $5, it will be for parts.

Son Of UDS! Sounds like a 50's horror movie. :D

That is great! I can't wait to see what happens. My only concern would be if the meat's too close to the fire. But, some chix thighs and you're set.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:17 pm

TX Sandman wrote:
OSD wrote:I got this idea to build a Mini UDS the other day when I score some small drums. I picked up a Weber Smokey Joe silver at a yard sale for $5, it will be for parts.

Son Of UDS! Sounds like a 50's horror movie. :D

That is great! I can't wait to see what happens. My only concern would be if the meat's too close to the fire. But, some chix thighs and you're set.

Well, when I got the idea I did some checking and found out Rocky ( BDS originator ) has been making them this size for a while and selling quite a few of them. Now I knew he isn't going to give up his secrets, who could blame him. :D I got to talking to some other people and one of them had a mini BDS and liked it. So, he gave me the measurements of the grate heights. Because of using the Smokey Joe lid, I actually have 1 1/2"s more distance between the fire grate and the cooking grate and 3" more height above the cooking grate than his does. Plus this is a much smaller fire than a full size UDS, so I don't think it will be a problem. :D
Jim

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”