Starting my uds build.

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Starting my uds build.

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am

I got so inspired by TwoguysBBQ's fantastic uds build that I had to start on my own.

Started with the burn out today. Do I need to remove the red lining or is it it ok that it stays there?

Didn't notice but my wife asked what I've been doing. I had some burned eyebrows and the little hair that's left on my head was also burned
ImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Last edited by Norway Joe on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram: Norway_joe1
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Re: Starting my uds build.

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:39 am

From what I understand that liner needs to be burnt out.
Sorry about the eyebrows 8) I can’t tell you how many times I’ve burnt the hair on my arms. :laughing7:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Only thing missing are snow mobile boots and a stick with a marshmellow on the end of it - - - - :laughing7: - - Glad to see you starting your Project, Joe :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:23 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Only thing missing are snow mobile boots and a stick with a marshmellow on the end of it - - - - :laughing7: - - Glad to see you starting your Project, Joe :tup: :salut:
Thanks.

Or a hot dog with bacon. I always bring these telescopic stick when I'm out in the nature. Very practical varming something over fire.

Regarding the project it will take some time. I am an accountant, running a small company together with my wife and a couple of employees. The next few months are busiest time of the year for us.Image

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:30 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:From what I understand that liner needs to be burnt out.
Sorry about the eyebrows 8) I can’t tell you how many times I’ve burnt the hair on my arms. :laughing7:
I googled a bit after I read your answer. Most people say it must go and that it is a hard job. Then a guy wrote something I felt was logical. If the lining is still there after a few burn outs with the drum almost glowing red, why should it go? When smoking we are operating on much lower temperatures. The drum will also be seasoned which also protect the lining a littlebit from the heat.

I don't want to make food that's potentially toxic so probably best to try to get rid of it.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm

I understand that being an Accountant this time of Year can be very TAXing :dont: :roll: :D :lol: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:44 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I understand that being an Accountant this time of Year can be very TAXing :dont: :roll: :D :lol: :laughing7:

IMG_0321.gif
IMG_0321.gif (966.49 KiB) Viewed 6942 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Haha.Image

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:20 pm

:laughing7: :lol: :D :wav: :bow: :salut:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Get'er Done
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:46 pm

Please don't Tax my Tacos . :D
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Joernolav wrote:I don't want to make food that's potentially toxic so probably best to try to get rid of it.

I could not agree more, your "diners" the folks you cook for, are trusting you with their very life, so your job is to reward them with a healthful meal.. :cheers:

When and if I ever wear out some of the cookers and the wife allows me to replace some of them, a UDS is definitely on my radar along with a ceramic grill, for the UDS I plan to seek out a barrel that had food contents in it such as canola oil or other foods, that way a burn out for the seasoning will be the only need... :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:11 pm

spacetrucker wrote:
Joernolav wrote:I don't want to make food that's potentially toxic so probably best to try to get rid of it.

I could not agree more, your "diners" the folks you cook for, are trusting you with their very life, so your job is to reward them with a healthful meal.. :cheers:

When and if I ever wear out some of the cookers and the wife allows me to replace some of them, a UDS is definitely on my radar along with a ceramic grill, for the UDS I plan to seek out a barrel that had food contents in it such as canola oil or other foods, that way a burn out for the seasoning will be the only need... :salut:
Yes. I totally agree with you. The drum I have was used for pizzasauce so it's food grade. What I don't know is what that red lining releases when it's heated. I don't know it consists of.

I have now tried to burn out the lining twice. In the last burn I filled the entire drum full if birch wood and lit it up. Probably warmed the entire neighborhood. The red lining is still there! Uncertain about what to do. Went to local store yesterday and looked at the Weber smoking mountain. It's a nice smoker, not as cool as a pretty built uds IMO but probably higher WAF.

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:50 pm

that red lining may be left behind from the tomatoes, I dont know. you could try a propane torch and or a drill sander :idea:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:56 pm

spacetrucker wrote:that red lining may be left behind from the tomatoes, I dont know. you could try a propane torch and or a drill sander :idea:
I don't think it's from the sauce. I've read that it may be some epoxy stuff. Tried with the drill and steel brush. Will come off but will take several hours to get it off.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”