New to UDS- burning out the barrel?

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

crewguy498
Pilgrim

New to UDS- burning out the barrel?

Postby crewguy498 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:39 am

Hello gang,
I am on my way to building a couple of these smokers. I have acquired 2 new drums. Inside of the drums are orange. I assumed this was the dreaded paint that needs to be burned off. I drilled the bottom of the barrels for future vent holes and loaded both with hardwood. The next day I checked the insides and both still had the Orange paint. Again I loaded the barrels and lit them up. Still the Orange paint is there. Do I keep burning?

I built the charcoal baskets out of expanded metal to a size of 16" tall and around. This seems a little tall. I was thinking of cutting them down. What size would be desired?
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Re: New to UDS- burning out the barrel?

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:17 pm

You may need to have it sandblasted. I hear the Orange liners are pretty tough.
Wood
Pilgrim

Postby Wood » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:52 pm

To burn the paint out you're gonna need a hot fire. You may even have to put the barrel on it's side and roll it while burning to get the heat to the paint instead of out the top.
Sand blasting is an option or I got a brand new unlined barrel for $40 and saved myself the brain damage
Backnblack
Pilgrim

Postby Backnblack » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:14 am

crewguy498 wrote:Hello gang,
I am on my way to building a couple of these smokers. I have acquired 2 new drums. Inside of the drums are orange. I assumed this was the dreaded paint that needs to be burned off. I drilled the bottom of the barrels for future vent holes and loaded both with hardwood. The next day I checked the insides and both still had the Orange paint. Again I loaded the barrels and lit them up. Still the Orange paint is there. Do I keep burning?

I built the charcoal baskets out of expanded metal to a size of 16" tall and around. This seems a little tall. I was thinking of cutting them down. What size would be desired?

You do mean the side near the bottom....right?

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”