Need help with wheel ideas

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

FortWorthy
Pilgrim

Need help with wheel ideas

Postby FortWorthy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:53 pm

I'd like to put wheels on the bottom of my UDS to make it easier to move...and I'm looking for suggestions from people that have done this.

I was thinking of somehow mounting two wheels on one side of the uds (on the bottom of the drum). On the other side I could do some sort of T-connector out of the drum hole for the air intake - the part of the T pointing up for air-intake, the part pointing down I'd put a capped length of pipe as a sort of kick-stand. Then when i need to move the UDS, I just tilt it a bit and wheel it around.
I'm not sure how I'd attach the wheels to the drum.

I haven't finished building it and have no holes drilled along the bottom yet.
I do not have welding equipment, and no experience welding, though I'm not entirely opposed to picking up a cheap (buck-fifty or so) welder from harbor freight. Well i guess it'd be more like 200 with some sort of helmet and gloves. which would be more than the total cost of my uds...

Any suggestions or examples/photos are appreciated, thanks!
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Need help with wheel ideas

Postby BluDawg » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:21 am

You mean like this??

If you Have a Welder> Weld the axle to the drum lip, I used a piece of 1/2 cold rolled for the axle I had to drill 4 through holes in it to accept hitch pins to hold the wheels in place. Allow for a flat washer on each side of the hub when laying out the holes.

No welder> Bolt 2 black pipe flanges to the bottom of the drum( apply silicon around the bolt holes& reinforce teh bolt heads with a fender washer) Use 2" nipples for stand offs to clear the bottom lip. Drill through holes in nipples to accept the axle, drill for the wheels like above, and drill 2 more holes in the axle for 2 additional hitch pins on the inside of the nipples so the axle remains centered( again allow for a washer between the nipple & the hole)
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:21 am

A drum dolly would work well...
FortWorthy
Pilgrim

Postby FortWorthy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Thank you for the replies!
I like your suggestion Blu - that picture is the sorta thing I was thinking of!
So much simpler if I could weld, may ask around the neighborhood some.
I looked into 2" flanges, Grainger has 'em, but they're like 25-30 each...I popped over to Lowes and tinkered around some: a 1/2" steel rod fits nicely through a 3/8 black iron Tee fitting (it was very loose in a 1/2", don't know why). So I think I might try and mount a couple on the bottom of the drum in a similar manner that you mentioned and run the rod through 2 of the Tee fittings, rather than using 2" pipes and drilling through them.
What size bit would i use to drill through the 1/2" cold-rolled steel rod (for the hitch pins)? That's going to be interesting to do...may have to enlist a friend with a drill press, I don't have the steadiest of hands, using a power drill would be interesting!

Thanks again for the suggestions, really appreciate it!
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:50 pm

I like to repurpose old pressure washer or paint spray rigs. Remove the pump/motor and lay it down for a perfect platform to mount the drum on. I do weld and grind though, so you may have to be creative with tubing and hardware to make a riser/handle to leverage it around.
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”