Getting Ready to build my first UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

girevik USER_AVATAR
Girevik
Pilgrim

Getting Ready to build my first UDS

Postby Girevik » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Hello I am new to the Texas BBQ Forum.

I just recently stumbled upon a video of a guy building his first UDS. I have been fascinated with the concept ever since. I have a few novice questions that I would like your advice with.

Does the thickness of the drum make much of a difference?

For the intake at the bottom, some people show a slider option (like from a Big Green Egg) and many others show ball valves. Is there a reason to use one over the other?

I see people putting the ball valves on what I call riser pipes. Is that just to keep from having to bend over to adjust them? I can't see how that would make a difference having them mounted low down on the drum. Enlighten me.

To diffuse or not to diffuse? I read somewhere that if you have a circular 'something' in the center of the fire basket that it helps to eliminate the hot spot in the middle and therefore a diffuser isn't really necessary. Opinions?

When you have a thermometers mounted to the side of the drum are they really that accurate? I saw a guy that had a 2 probe deal (Maverick?) - one for the meat and one that had a clip that he clipped to the grate. I assume the one clipped to the grate would give you a more accurate idea of what your cooking temp really is. Correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Re: Getting Ready to build my first UDS

Postby Big Ed » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Welcome to the forum!!! :salut:
As far as thickness goes, a regular 55gal. barrel keeps pretty steady heat and will stay hot a long time. I don't get all the upright pipes people put on them, I have 2 1.5'' ball valves on mine and runs 250* all day with the valves half way open using a water pan ( turkey pan from dollar store). I don't use a water pan when I cook chicken or turkey, temp runs 325+ with out the pan. Good luck on your build!!
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:40 am

The biggest draw( at least to me) to a UDS is the flavor you get from the meat dripping in the coals, this is the flavor of true pit cooked over shoveled coals BBQ, now some like Big Ed use a diffuser and/or a water pan this changes the way the UDS cooks and the flavor profile you get to that of a WSM type of smoker. That is the beauty of this beast is it's split personality enabling you to have 2 cookers in 1 package. I have 3 3/4" intakes 2 nipples and a full port ball valve on a 12" riser I use nothing between the heat & the meat except the fat cap, mine will run where I set it until it runs out of fuel 450 is about the limit with a 2" exhaust.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Girevik. :)
Does the thickness of the drum make much of a difference?
Only if you plan on welding parts to it. I have found the thinner drums test my patience a bit more than the heavier industrial ones.

For the intake at the bottom, some people show a slider option (like from a Big Green Egg) and many others show ball valves. Is there a reason to use one over the other?
There are many ways to create intake openings on a UDS. The beauty of them are you can keep it as simple as you want or as elaborate as you want. The bottom line is this, if whatever you use seals off tight when not needed and you are happy with what you have then use it. ;)

I see people putting the ball valves on what I call riser pipes. Is that just to keep from having to bend over to adjust them? I can't see how that would make a difference having them mounted low down on the drum. Enlighten me.
I see no benefit in the riser pipes as far how the cooker performs. I build extension rods for mine that allows you to open and close the valve without bending over.

To diffuse or not to diffuse? I read somewhere that if you have a circular 'something' in the center of the fire basket that it helps to eliminate the hot spot in the middle and therefore a diffuser isn't really necessary. Opinions?
I like diffusers in my UDS's because I do not care for the flavor of the meat when the fat drippings hit the coals. I will eat it but I can taste the difference and prefer that the drippings do not burn off in the coals. My diffuser is built like a chimney cap I designed it to allow maximum air flow while not letting the drippings reach the coals. The flavor is more like a reverse flow cooker puts out, Several comp. teams use my design with good results.

When you have a thermometers mounted to the side of the drum are they really that accurate? I saw a guy that had a 2 probe deal (Maverick?) - one for the meat and one that had a clip that he clipped to the grate. I assume the one clipped to the grate would give you a more accurate idea of what your cooking temp really is. Correct?

I use 12" turkey fryer therms mounted 1" below the grates the probe reads what the grates are doing in the heart of the cooker.
I also use my Maverick dual probes at times when I am away from the cooker.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
girevik USER_AVATAR
Girevik
Pilgrim

Postby Girevik » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:30 pm

Thank you all for the replies. That helps a lot!

I am probably going to start with a Big Poppa Smokers kit and tweak it a bit. I like the lids that have the 8 x 3/4" holes instead of the rotating air vent. As for the intake I will probably stick with the 2 sliding vents that come with the kit. I haven't decided if I want to add a 2nd lid that allows me to use my weber domed lid. That will most likely come later.
girevik USER_AVATAR
Girevik
Pilgrim

Postby Girevik » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 pm

k.a.m. -

You mentioned you had 12" fryer thermometers. I assume you remove these each time so you can put the coals in. Correct? If so, how do you have the thermometer mounted? Just curious.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”