About to start my first UDS...

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

About to start my first UDS...

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Alright guys.. Been reading on this forum an a few others for awhile and I'm fascinated with these UDS... I came across a score load of these drums at no cost..

I do have one question though have I haven't come across even after all the research or maybe I just missed it.. The barrels I have acquired have been used to store oil an etc.. I got the whole burning it out, cleaning an seasoning... But my question here is.. The drums are sealed.. How have u guys cut the lid off while not jeopardizing the integrity of the seal once the time to fire her up.. Where's the best place to cut the lid an retain it for a good seal??? Pics an direction would be great

THANKS IN ADVANCE

-Chris

looking forward to getting my project started :mrgreen:
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Re: About to start my first UDS...

Postby Big Ed » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Gotta go with a weber lid , you get a lot more room and you can pick up a cheapy on CL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:16 pm

So overall there is no way to cut it where it's possible the lid is functional.. unless it's a barrel with a remove able lid huh...

I actually wanted the stock material lid, didn't care much for the extra room as I plan I putting two levels of grate (plenty of room) and I plan on building more as soon as I get the hang of one.. (More colors, accessories, etc) But i guess it's a great thing I got a complete weber darn near new (buddy's kid hit it with the truck an bent the legs an destroyed the wheels lol) FREE :)
CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:23 pm

Best method to cut top off?
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:57 pm

Oh it can be done, its a lot of work!! Leave 1/4 flange on top of barrel and weld lip to top of cutout, I like the weber lid on mine though.
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:54 am

I drilled a big enough hole for a sawzall blade to fit in and went to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:05 am

CLeeSmokinQ wrote:Alright guys.. Been reading on this forum an a few others for awhile and I'm fascinated with these UDS... I came across a score load of these drums at no cost..

I do have one question though have I haven't come across even after all the research or maybe I just missed it.. The barrels I have acquired have been used to store oil an etc.. I got the whole burning it out, cleaning an seasoning... But my question here is.. The drums are sealed.. How have u guys cut the lid off while not jeopardizing the integrity of the seal once the time to fire her up.. Where's the best place to cut the lid an retain it for a good seal??? Pics an direction would be great

THANKS IN ADVANCE

-Chris

looking forward to getting my project started :mrgreen:

You can remove a lid by grinding the top outside corner on crimp it will still seal tight once built.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks blu ... I just did a brisket for Father's Day on an old shitty smoker I have in the backyard.. with your marinade it was absolute perfection
CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Big Ed n Blu.. Being as most of the Q/UDS threads have posts by both of you or great advice..

What would you both recommend as far as thermometer for the UDS an also digital for internal temp of both the drum and meat?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:54 pm

I got my therm at Acadmey it is an old country or old smokey very acurate I believe it was under 10.00 it is the only therm I use meat is done when it probes tender I don't do meat temps unless it is loin or something that need to be served med. for that I use an Oregon Scientific remote 330 ft range. just remember that yor drum will be 40 deg hotter in the middle than the tip of the installed thermo. I split that and call it 20 deg IE 300 on the therm is an average of 320 works for me.

Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:29 am

Sounds like you have closed top drums. You could cut underneath the lip about 1.5" then take some 1.5" flat sock and rivet/bolt/weld it around the inside edge of the top of the drum, leaving .75" exposed. The top portion that you cut off has now become your lid and should have a nice seal with a little massaging. Just add a simple handle and your exhaust and it's winner winner bbq dinner.
Personally, I agree with Big Ed and the Weber lid. Just make your cut around the top right up against the lip and smooth out and burrs. Pop on the Weber lid and go to town. If it's loose you can use high temp rtv silicon around the inside of the lid to form a tight seal. If it's too small just grind the outer edge of the lip on your drum until the lid fits snug.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Great info here guys.. I appreciate it a bunch.. Any pics of process would be great as well even though the drums are free :) I'm trying not to screw up lol

Blu I went to academy an picked up said therm.. It's great.. As I only see myself about 50-70 bux deep once done I'm looking into digital therms that are wireless or connected by phone apps so I can set it an forget it type thing.. You know for overnight smokes etc.. It's more of an alarm that I want incase of flare ups or drop in temps etc

Picked up my free weber today :) gonna start and finish said project this weekend hopefully time permitting.. Think I'm going with a SHINER theme once said and done
CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Well got my drum open guys... An low n behold the red liner.. FML

drIlled the four intake holes.. Loaded it up with old dry wood (2x4s, plywood, 4x4s etc) an started thg burn out process.. Man it got hott.. After checking on it today I'm not sure all of it came off :angryfire: gonna build another fire today... If not guessing it's off to buy a weed burner :banghead:

Guess even if the drums were free this is still gonna be a headache...
CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Couple questions as I've been reading into removing the epoxy liner..

What do u guys think about Air craft stripper? I read some that Easy-Off oven cleaner works? Or just stick with the weed burner an wire wheel labor intensive job lol
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Have it sandblasted

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”