Anyone put the exhaust on the sides rather than the lid??

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jerodpb
Bandolero

Anyone put the exhaust on the sides rather than the lid??

Postby jerodpb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:27 am

Wondering if anyone has tried that on a UDS.

The exhaust holes are that way on the PBC and you use those to regulate the temp in the smoker.

By design the rebar holds the temp where it needs to be by blocking enough of the hole(s)...but if I have something wrapped in bacon, and want more than 275ish, I can remove the rebar and just use magnets to cover some of the hole(s) if temps get too high.

If I'm not hanging and just cooking on the grate I get the rebar out the way anyways....
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Anyone put the exhaust on the sides rather than the lid?

Postby BluDawg » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:20 am

The next one I build will have them on the sides So I can play with lettin my meat swing free and It will keep the rain out. Also should make for an even heat
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
swamprb
Pilgrim

Postby swamprb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:57 pm

One thing that I notice when using Weber lids on any of my drums, is that I need to rotate it so the vents are not directly over the meats as they will cook faster. I actually prefer the 8 - 1/2" vent holes around the circumference of my barrel lids.

I've not used a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) but wouldn't you want to increase the bottom vent opening to get higher grate temps?

I use magnets to regulate the intakes (3) on my UDS's and always wondered if folks just propped the lid open to get higher temps on a PBC?
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:21 pm

swamprb wrote:One thing that I notice when using Weber lids on any of my drums, is that I need to rotate it so the vents are not directly over the meats as they will cook faster. I actually prefer the 8 - 1/2" vent holes around the circumference of my barrel lids.

I've not used a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) but wouldn't you want to increase the bottom vent opening to get higher grate temps?

I use magnets to regulate the intakes (3) on my UDS's and always wondered if folks just propped the lid open to get higher temps on a PBC?

no, the bottom vent is set according to altitude...and it does not have to be exact (1/8" either way is not noticeable), and stays for the whole cook. However, people have set it for a higher altitude and had the temp spike, then drop off and not regain until the vent was closed back down to the correct setting....the higher the altitude, the wider the opening...

trust me, this thing has you scratching your head

and yes, if you have the lid not shut down good and sealed, your temps will get HIGH!!!!!

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_re ... rel-cooker
swamprb
Pilgrim

Postby swamprb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:46 pm

jerodpb wrote:
swamprb wrote:One thing that I notice when using Weber lids on any of my drums, is that I need to rotate it so the vents are not directly over the meats as they will cook faster. I actually prefer the 8 - 1/2" vent holes around the circumference of my barrel lids.

no, the bottom vent is set according to altitude...and it does not have to be exact (1/8" either way is not noticeable), and stays for the whole cook. However, people have set it for a higher altitude and had the temp spike, then drop off and not regain until the vent was closed back down to the correct setting....the higher the altitude, the wider the opening...

trust me, this thing has you scratching your head

and yes, if you have the lid not shut down good and sealed, your temps will get HIGH!!!!!

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_re ... rel-cooker

Great link - Thanks for that!
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:30 pm

If I set one up I'm gonna install 4 exhaust holes(2 on each side) similar to the pit barrel, but with a 90 coming out and a valve on one on each side to help regulate air flow...

I may need to expand my overall capacity as more folks eat my meat, and if I can pull of a UDS much cheaper than a pit barrel I'll go for it.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:04 pm

jerodpb wrote:If I set one up I'm gonna install 4 exhaust holes(2 on each side) similar to the pit barrel, but with a 90 coming out and a valve on one on each side to help regulate air flow...

I may need to expand my overall capacity as more folks eat my meat, and if I can pull of a UDS much cheaper than a pit barrel I'll go for it.
Don't waste your money on all that hardware you go chokin back the exhaust you won't get any temp run it Wide open. When I do build the next one it will have 8 3/4 holes you need that many to have the proper draft unless you like to warm you food to death.
Last edited by BluDawg on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:09 pm

alright, the pit barrel has 4, 3/4" on a 30 gal. drum...

what size fire basket you run???
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:45 pm

17X 12
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:51 pm

that's a hoss.....

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”