Finally finished up my smoker last night

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Finally finished up my smoker last night

Postby erbeman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:21 am

I buttoned it up last night with a few little things to clean up the look of it. Not bad for my first build. I'm really happy with it and how efficient it cooks.

Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Re: Finally finished up my smoker last night

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:08 am

Very nice build....whats the inside diameter of that little puppy?
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:27 am

Very nice. I love the Kamado vent and of course the Tech bottle opener!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigunsbbq
Rustler

Postby Bigunsbbq » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:54 am

Nice build , u will like the way it cooks and maintain temps .
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Look forward to seeing it in action, nice build!!

Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Ok it looks good now go cook somethin :wink:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Super nice build, I to like the air vent. Do you recall the part number? CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Ok give me the lowdown, where did you get the barrel and powder coating?

erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:06 am

I've actually been cooking on it for around 6 months now. It was just now that I was able to finally get it painted up. I do love how efficient they are and easy to move around especially the way I did this one. It's actually upside down sitting on the lid and the lid is not fastened to it. So, I can simply lift it up off of the lid which is where the charcoal box and ash tray are. So, it's super easy to add more wood or clean out ashes should I need to. As far as diameter, the lid is 22 inches wide, so that's what the drum is. I don't know how deep it is. I do have three grates though, so I can load it down. As far as the powder coating goes, I'm not really impressed. I used a shop out of McKinney. They said they would do it for $100 and it would take two weeks. We agreed that its best to use the high heat powder. What I didn't know was that the paint is thin and super easy to scratch. So I am really careful with it. I am assuming that I got what I paid for. every other powder coater that I spoke to wanted about 2-3 times as much. So, I guess this guy gave me the bare minimum. He also kept my drum for a month before it was finished and didn't even bother to call and tell me it was going to take longer. I called him after two week and asked the status. He said he was busy and I was welcome to come pick it up or I could wait another two weeks. I should have gone and got it. Well, at least with the powder it is protected against the elements pretty well. As far as the air vent goes, I don't know the part number. I just found a Green Egg dealer in Plano who sold replacement parts and I went and picked it up for like $35. Oh, and I got the barrel new from Dallas Drum just outside of downtown for $65. It was a thicker version than the normal drum.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Had I not discovered the Pit Barrel Cooker I would have definitely rigged up a UDS

I really dig the powder coat finish...

kid from Tenaha (small town down the road) plays for Texas Tech...he was their quarterback when they won state

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-footb ... 10192.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDe9KGp16LU
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:56 pm

You sure get what you pay for, I paid 3X more on mine but its a solid coat!!
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:52 pm

erbeman wrote:I've actually been cooking on it for around 6 months now. It was just now that I was able to finally get it painted up. I do love how efficient they are and easy to move around especially the way I did this one. It's actually upside down sitting on the lid and the lid is not fastened to it. So, I can simply lift it up off of the lid which is where the charcoal box and ash tray are. So, it's super easy to add more wood or clean out ashes should I need to. As far as diameter, the lid is 22 inches wide, so that's what the drum is. I don't know how deep it is. I do have three grates though, so I can load it down. As far as the powder coating goes, I'm not really impressed. I used a shop out of McKinney. They said they would do it for $100 and it would take two weeks. We agreed that its best to use the high heat powder. What I didn't know was that the paint is thin and super easy to scratch. So I am really careful with it. I am assuming that I got what I paid for. every other powder coater that I spoke to wanted about 2-3 times as much. So, I guess this guy gave me the bare minimum. He also kept my drum for a month before it was finished and didn't even bother to call and tell me it was going to take longer. I called him after two week and asked the status. He said he was busy and I was welcome to come pick it up or I could wait another two weeks. I should have gone and got it. Well, at least with the powder it is protected against the elements pretty well. As far as the air vent goes, I don't know the part number. I just found a Green Egg dealer in Plano who sold replacement parts and I went and picked it up for like $35. Oh, and I got the barrel new from Dallas Drum just outside of downtown for $65. It was a thicker version than the normal drum.

In their defense high heat coatings are usually applied at 2-3 mils, which is basically the equivalent of 2-3 sheets of paper in thickness and are usually somewhat "soft" so they expand and contract when the vessel or in this case pit is heated and cools. Unless the system is a multi-coat system your coating will be thin. It's not really something the applicator dictates, usually it's recommended on the datasheet of the product, failing to follow the datasheet and applying it too thick could lead to a failure in the coating. I cant argue the fact that they maybe should have done a better job conveying to you what you were getting in return.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Good info. Thank you.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”