Not enough exhaust?

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Re: Not enough exhaust?

Postby jayzi » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 am

Hahaha... I like the way the weed burner looks and works, but this was free and it is more portable for me. The weed burner would cause my son to feel like it is a flame thrower and I don't want to deal with the aftermath of that! :laughing7:
Weber 22.5", UDS
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:37 pm

"Look what I snagged from dad's garage!!! LOL"

Good score! That'll get your coals a glowin' in no time!
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:43 pm

jayzi wrote:I am wondering if any of y'all have had any issues with exhaust on the Weber lids? BluDawg had mentioned that the smoke might be choking out my fire and this weekend I think I was experiencing that. I wanted to cook at 300, so after I got the fire going I put the lid on and watched the temps come down. Even with all valves open it dropped below 300. So I cracked the lid and was able to dial in the temp by closing the nipple and adjusting my ball valves... So I wanted to see if any others have had these issues?

I dont have any issues with my little aluminum Weber, it was a very old little pit my dad had, have no idea where he found it I have never seen another one like it. I made the stand with the legs to hold it btw. I think you just need a little more base fire, start earlier and after the coals are nice and hot go ahead and choke it down, close the vents a few minutes and it will settle the fire down nicely and more than enough heat if you want. I mostly just cook my fajitas and chicken on it at the comps.Mine also has a smaller single hole on the opposite side of vents, I think it had a temp gauge there at one time.
This past weekend I added a little too much fire and it was a little too late towards turn in and I didnt have time to let the fire cool off a bit so I pretty much blew up my chicken with too much heat, so I sauced it three layers to mask the skin. Like I always say "flavor rules" and I'd rather be lucky than good any day, lol. 1st place out of 41 solid teams. :cheers:

Picture 025.jpg

Picture 024.jpg

Picture 030.jpg
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some