BBQ Guru on UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chaostheory
Rustler

BBQ Guru on UDS

Postby chaostheory » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:43 am

Question for you BBQ guru guys out there do you have a hard time keeping temps up around 325? Iv got a 1" ball valve with a reducer to 3/4 for the guru adapter on here. Will that restrict the air flow concentration coming form the fan, 3/4 to the pit, 1''. I was smoking chicket last night at 325 and the guru had a hard time keeping temp up at 325 so I was just wondering if i needed more fuel, or choke down the air flow from 1'' to 3/4''. The end of the cook ended at 305.......

http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/chaos ... 2676831829
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: BBQ Guru on UDS

Postby BluDawg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:54 am

I don't use a Guru but yes it will restrict the flow, putting that thing on a UDS is like installing a screen door on a submarine BWTFDIK. I can set mine with the ball valve at XXX temp and walk away it will stay there until it runs out of Fuel.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

BBQ Guru on UDS

Postby Big Ed » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:25 am

Same as BluDawg, valves half way open and mine will run 250 all day. Never seen a need for a fan on a UDS!
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
chaostheory
Rustler

Postby chaostheory » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:27 pm

I know with mine I cant just walk away. It will move up and down in temp. The fan is so I can do overnight smokes for events the next day. I will say the guru is darn cool.
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:40 pm

I will throw down with BluDawg with the drum running strong and steady without technology. My family are fans...does that count? :mrgreen: As far as the Guru part goes, that's what my wife calls me. I have done overnight cooks (8-10 hrs) with no problem of drifting temp. But that is true at 225F, not the 325 you mentioned.

On the one hand I can see how the gizmo could be handy if you can't your drum 'dialed in'. On the other hand, I hate depending on gizmos that can go snap crackle pop, and probably will at the worst possible time. I guess that is still the old school side of me talking.

Early on in my UDS zeal I thought about adding rotary racks, water pans, wireless digital temp probes and rib racks. Well,I did actually build some rib racks, but I only used them once and now it is a fence ornament.

I spent more on getting my fire basket set up and air intake balanced, and how much of what type of woods to use to develop different flavors. Getting the drum to run for extended periods was really the easiest part. Not messing with it was much harder!!! :D

Best advice someone gave me was : Relax, slow down and enjoy learning the nuances of cooking with your UDS. :cheers:
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:38 am

chaostheory wrote:I know with mine I cant just walk away. It will move up and down in temp. The fan is so I can do overnight smokes for events the next day. I will say the guru is darn cool.
Do you walk away from the oven in your house it drifts up & down too. 25 deg either side won't hurt a dang thing, relax it's only BBQ. I fail to see why if you cook a 325 you need to cook over night, I run my UDS between 275 -350 anywhere in there is close enough. I light my fire at 7 am & I'm done by 2pm no matter what. :dont:
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:59 am

BluDawg wrote:
chaostheory wrote:I know with mine I cant just walk away. It will move up and down in temp. The fan is so I can do overnight smokes for events the next day. I will say the guru is darn cool.
Do you walk away from the oven in your house it drifts up & down too. 25 deg either side won't hurt a dang thing, relax it's only BBQ. I fail to see why if you cook a 325 you need to cook over night, I run my UDS between 275 -350 anywhere in there is close enough. I light my fire at 7 am & I'm done by 2pm no matter what. :dont:

Regardless of what you are cooking Blu??? I liked cooking at 300ish on that pork shoulder!
Weber 22.5", UDS
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 pm

I cooked a Butt yesterday on the OTS (just because I can :mrgreen: ) Lit my fire at 7:40 Butt was rubbed with old bay and Goya Adobo(Green Lid) on at 8:15 I wrapped it at 1in foil( I wanted some juices) Pulled it a 2 and ate at 5. Temp was between 275 -320
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
chaostheory
Rustler

Postby chaostheory » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:53 pm

I hardly ever cook at 325. The question of cooking at that temp was another subject. I cook at 250 ish. i see you point about temp fluctuation but if I set my temp at 250 I want it to stay there not rise to 300 325 then come back down. I prefer the consistency.
krshome
Pilgrim

Postby krshome » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:21 pm

I have the same set up as you and never had a problem with my guru. I have found if I start it with to little or to much charcoal it effects the whole cook. I now use half a chimney dumped in a hollowed out can in the center of the basket and then slid the can out, 45 minutes its blue smoke and ready for food usually 275 deg. 325 deg. for chix never a problem just takes a little longer to heat up.
txluke USER_AVATAR
txluke
Wrangler

Postby txluke » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 pm

I use my UDS's for cookoffs. I am a one man team and trying to keep an eye on temps constantly especially on windy days is a hassle. I just got 2 iq110's to help me out. I have used them a few times here at the house and love them. The UDS holds temps well but with a guru or similar device they are perfect. I have no problem cooking at 350 for hours. I had to drill one of the 3/4" intake holes out to 1" and use high temp foil tape to cover the others. I use a foil pan sitting on the charcoal basket for a water pan. I love the way they cook. I am toying with the idea of running a 1" pipe across the bottom of the drum with holes drilled in the top. The iq110 will hook into this pipe and the air will blow up under the charcoal instead of from the side. This should give me a more even burn. I might go with a T then two 90's so I have two rows blowing.
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:23 pm

I run my drum with the slide half closed on the guru, exhaust 100% open and my drum is rock solid. I always start with a full basket of charcoal, since I use lump, I just close it off when I'm done cooking and reuse the coals. Never have A problem cooking at 350 and only have a 3/4 ball valve and digiqdx2
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”