Painting my UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chaostheory
Rustler

Painting my UDS

Postby chaostheory » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Hey fellas,
After sandblasting my UDS Im going to paint it with high temp paint on the outside. My question is should I paint the inside as well? If so, do I use the same paint as the outside or a different type or nothing at all. Also, any recomendations on types of paint, maybe something from Home Depot. Thanks fellas!
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Re: Painting my UDS

Postby Big Ed » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:47 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Inside should be bare metal.
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
chaostheory
Rustler

Postby chaostheory » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Thank you sir. Boy, Im glad Iv got your pros on here to head me in the right direction.
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:09 pm

All I do is rub ip the inside with veggie oil and build a small, but highly fragrant wood smoked fire to season it. I like cheery/apple/oak blend and keep the temp way down. Just a small smoldering fire will help seal that puppy with some sweet smelling smoke!
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:26 am

:shock:
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:11 am

chaostheory wrote:Hey fellas,
After sandblasting my UDS Im going to paint it with high temp paint on the outside. My question is should I paint the inside as well? If so, do I use the same paint as the outside or a different type or nothing at all. Also, any recomendations on types of paint, maybe something from Home Depot. Thanks fellas!

As far as the Outside of the drum goes:

Some home improvement stores have high temp paint, which I have tried before, but in very limited colors. Some have high temp primer, most do not. If you use your drum as a low and slow cooker only you can get by with a regular primer and basic paint. If you think you may use it for 350-400F cooking then it would be a good idea to step up to either 'high temp' or 'engine block' or 'caliper' paints. I like the engine block paints because of the selection of colors and 500F rating.

After two years of low and slow cooking, highest temp was around 325F, my first drum's paint was still in great shape. It is an 'ugly' drum...so many will say that painting is optional. One day I may have a bare bones build and go that route. Since I have additional hardware, time and tweaks into mine I like to protect them with paint. I only build/sell them for family, friends and charity auctions and the painted versions are certainly the most popular.

Some builders go with powder coated paint on their drums. I am sure that is much more durable than spray paint, if you don't mind the higher cost. It really boils down to owner preference, creativity and budget.
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”