UDS Build instructions or tips?

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Re: UDS Build instructions or tips?

Postby jayzi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:48 am

I used a thing piece of aluminum flashing to mock up a lip on the inside of my drum (trying to make my Weber lid fit) it seems like the lid is still not fitting correctly. I am wondering if the lids lip supposed to sit on the added metal inside the barrel or is the lid supposed to sit all the way down onto the top of the barrel? Mine seems to slide from one side to the other.
I am thinking of cutting the bottom section of the weber and using that as the mating surface, I just don't know if that is going to fit properly and how I would go about cutting and attaching that piece. I have seen some pictures but no real detail.
I am at a stand still here since this is my only lid option, the barrel was a closed barrel so I don't have a lid! STUCK!!!! :whiteflag:

Thanks,
JZ
Weber 22.5", UDS
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 am

use a cuttoff disc on an angle grinder or if you have a steady hand a sawzall with a metal blade. The strip you added to the drum should engage the flange lip on the weber lid. Flashing is pretty flimsy stuff a 2" wide strip of .125 aluminum flat stock would be my choice
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:10 am

BluDawg wrote:use a cuttoff disc on an angle grinder or if you have a steady hand a sawzall with a metal blade. The strip you added to the drum should engage the flange lip on the weber lid. Flashing is pretty flimsy stuff a 2" wide strip of .125 aluminum flat stock would be my choice

I doubled up the flashing to make it more sturdy, it was merely to mock it up and see if it would work. I am having trouble finding the aluminum flat stock. Went to Home Depot yesterday and they had some steel stuff but it was PRICEY! I was hoping to not spend a lot on this mod, might just have to I guess!
Weber 22.5", UDS
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 am

Well it's coming along, I need to get some of that stove rope because the lid does not quite seal like I'd like! Next major hurdle is the charcoal basket.. that one is going to be interesting! Thanks BluDawg for the advice on the aluminum flat bar, it worked great!
Weber 22.5", UDS
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

UDS Build instructions or tips?

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:49 am

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:52 am

Hurry up I'm Hungry :P Looking good. Stove rope is fiberglass and It sheds, glass shards in you gizzard aint to good. Look for oven door gasket,: Appliance repair places, Grainger Supply would be good sources.
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:58 am

BluDawg wrote:Hurry up I'm Hungry :P Looking good.

ME TOO! I can't find the stove gasket anywhere locally, you said Grainger for the oven door gasket? Any other options? The charcoal basket is going to be a challenge for me... No access to anyone that can weld right now. I have to go with the no weld option. Looking for some expando today!
Weber 22.5", UDS
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I am wondering if it is more trouble than it is worth to get the lid to seal on that aluminum flat bar? I was trying to avoid cutting the kettle bottom to fit the lid, thus preserving the Weber kettle. I can't find anything local to use to seal it, perhaps stuffing rolled up aluminum foil as a gasket might work? Y'alls ideas are welcome!

JZ
Weber 22.5", UDS
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:50 pm

It don't get all that hot you an use High temp RTV and Cotton rope( Close line) it will hold up fine.
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:46 pm

I am going to try that BluDawg... now to get some expando and bolt together a charcoal basket! I am anxious to fire this thing up!
Weber 22.5", UDS
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:55 pm

So I finally did it! I fired up my UDS, I only used enough lump coal to cover about a quarter of the basket. It's been burning 3 hours and holding steady. The issue I am seeing is my side mounted temp gauge is reading 150° but the oven gauge I have sitting on the food grate shows 250°. Is there really that much difference or is this a case of my side mounted gauge not sticking far enough into the drum?

JZ

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Weber 22.5", UDS

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”