UDS LId Question

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

UDS LId Question

Postby 2PUPs » Tue May 28, 2013 5:48 am

I recently got a WSM 22.5" smoker . The handle on the lid was welded on cockeyed , and weber is sending me a new lid for it . They said to keep the old one . My question is , Does the 22.5" lid fit on a standard 55 gallon drum .

Jeff
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Re: UDS LId Question

Postby Grillatarian » Tue May 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Yes, and then maybe...or No. I have found quite a bit of variance in drum diameters, from either various makers or suppliers. I did happen on a drum that the Weber lid fit pretty good without any modification whatsoever.

I would keep the lid for sure, it can be 'modified' or with some fab work, retrofitted to make a good lid for a UDS. The main thing is that it makes a decent seal and doesn't slip off to one side or the other.

My favorite solution is to buy a drum with a good sealing steel lid. Take a stock Weber lid and tack weld it to the steel lid, at least a good spot weld every 4 inches. Then cut out the steel lid to open jo access to the Weber dome, leaving only the original rim and about 2" of steel for stability. I then caulk the inside of the Weber lid to steel lid seam using a fire retardant sealant(red). I then caulk the outside seam with a quality polyurethane sealant that is also paintable. Once it all cures I paint the whole thing with high temp paint, either engine block or brake caliper type. Makes an awesome lid!
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Postby 2PUPs » Tue May 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks Grillatarian , appreciate the info .
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue May 28, 2013 3:55 pm

The dome lid on the WSM fits in the center section. For it to work on a drum you will have to create a lip for it to rest in.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
DirtyQng
Pilgrim

Postby DirtyQng » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:08 am

That's a great idea. I have the regular lid i use for my uds but I recently got a domed lid that's a bit cockeyed for my UDS. I'll do this mod so I can have more room and maybe add another grate. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”