First UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

acustomflat
Pilgrim

First UDS

Postby acustomflat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:13 am

I just made my first uds and have not cooked on it yet. I'm not able to get the thing to maintain a stable temp. I'm still playing with it.
Any advise would be appreciative.

thanks
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: First UDS

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 am

Need a little more info, at least 3, 3/4" vents all open? How much heat (charcoal)? How long has it been heating? How large is the exhaust vent at least 2"- 3"? CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
acustomflat
Pilgrim

Postby acustomflat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:42 am

Exhaust is 2" and I have 3 3/4" air inlets. With all open, I can get to 285, with 2 inlets closed and ball valve 100 open, get only 160 ish. I know reading others posts, they can maintain temp with adjusting ball valve. I am trying to hold 225 ish. As far as fuel basket full of charcoal with some hickory chunks in, mainly trying to season pit and learn how to hold steady temp before cooking on it.

thanks
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:52 am

From what you said I really see no reason you should not be coming to temp. How cold is the weather? Maybe bludawg will chime in soon. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
acustomflat
Pilgrim

Postby acustomflat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:20 pm

chileFarmer, weather is in high fiftys. Wouldn't think that is problem. thought maybe charcoal basket is too low but it is about 6" from bottom of the barrel.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Start with a Bigger fire. During the summer when temps are in the 90's 12 -15 briquettes will get you there when the temp drops into the 50's 1/2 a chimney full.
I burn lump and use briquettes to start it because it is more uniform and predictable (consistent). Catch your temps on the Way up I recommend you cook at min 250. Start with all intakes open when the pit temp gets to 175 close an intake when it hits 225 close the second one and leave the valve open. If you want to get to say 325-350 for chicken let it get to 250 before you start capping off then close the second one at 300. one problem I see in your design is you have 90's on your intakes that restricts the Flow by 50% and that will hurt ya.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
acustomflat
Pilgrim

Postby acustomflat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:00 pm

BluDawg, thanks for the info. I was thinking air flow could be an issue but all the threads I read, showed/talked about 3/4" pipe (x3) was sufficient air inlet. I went with the street 90's because I wanted to bring at least one of the air inlet up(to prevent bending down). So your saying go with straight 3/4 pipe and dont 90 up the drum?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:17 pm

I run strait Close nipples on mine and a "T" on my valve riser( Fat Boy Mod) having just 1 bend you can get away with it. I see in the pic that your other intakes have them too IMO that is to much restriction a 90 will just about cut the flow rate in 1/2 some Ball Valves will restrict it even further as the hole can be 1/2 " in some I have seen. If I ever build another UDS it will have but 1 2" intake on a 24" riser with a Damper plate to control the air.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
acustomflat
Pilgrim

Postby acustomflat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:44 pm

BluDawg, thanks for advice. Since I will be going back to hardware store, I might go with 1" close nipple and then I shouldnt have air flow issues.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”