UDS temp problem

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bigunsbbq
Rustler

UDS temp problem

Postby Bigunsbbq » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Having hard time to maintain steady temp seams like everybody is getting long steady control. Been lighting off basket lowering in after about 10 min temp gets up to 250 -275 start shutting down intakes and exhaust . Shut all intakes except ball valve and two exhaust and temp falls quick to 150 - 175 have to open up and get going again seams I have to leave lid off set to draw Can cook a rack of ribs they are great . Shut down like everybody says and by 4:00am temp is at 125 start at 8:00pm only 8 hrs using kingford about 10-12lbs would like to get that long burn I read about ? Basket is 12 by 14 , 4 3/4 intakes and 4 3/4 exhaust.
Got another barrel ready to start building but dont want 2 that dont work
HELP!! Bigun
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: UDS temp problem

Postby BluDawg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Ok heres the deal. :deadhorse: Never control temp by closing down on the exhaust. The reason your temps are dropping is because you don't have enough exhaust I would add at least 2-3 more holes and leave them all open. Catch your temps on the way up by limiting the intake air. I have 3 intakes and 1 2" bung for my exhaust.
I burn lump in the basket and use about 15 briquettes that I light in a chimney to fire the lump( think Consistency). I leave it to sit for 10 min before dropping it in the drum all 3 intakes WFO as well as the exhaust. At 200 I close 1 intake, at 240 I cap the second and close the ball valve about 1/4 and it settles in between 275- 325 every time. Unless I'm shutting it down th exhaust remains WFO . Your grate temp will be 50 deg hotter in the center than the reading on the mounted thermo.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
davidtxs USER_AVATAR
Davidtxs
Bandolero

Postby Davidtxs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:40 pm

BluDawg wrote:Ok heres the deal. :deadhorse: Never control temp by closing down on the exhaust. The reason your temps are dropping is because you don't have enough exhaust I would add at least 2-3 more holes and leave them all open. Catch your temps on the way up by limiting the intake air. I have 3 intakes and 1 2" bung for my exhaust.
I burn lump in the basket and use about 15 briquettes that I light in a chimney to fire the lump( think Consistency). I leave it to sit for 10 min before dropping it in the drum all 3 intakes WFO as well as the exhaust. At 200 I close 1 intake, at 240 I cap the second and close the ball valve about 1/4 and it settles in between 275- 325 every time. Unless I'm shutting it down th exhaust remains WFO . Your grate temp will be 50 deg hotter in the center than the reading on the mounted thermo.

DITTO DITTO leave exhaust wide open it ats two folds
1. no stale smoke lingering
2. eliminates one variable
When I grow up I wanna be EITHER

Jethro Gibbs thats TW0 B's Second is for
OR
Redneck Cooker "watch out Trigg"
So If any teams want a reasonable website let me know
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:55 pm

The Dawg, telling it right. Works for me. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
Bigunsbbq
Rustler

Postby Bigunsbbq » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks, BluDawg I think I will just start with a new lid got several laying around and will get me some lump and try that also . Don't think I can find lump locally will have to go to Abilene maybe @ academy . Go there regularly to the Dr.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”