First UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: First UDS

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:They're 3/4 inch ball valves on the intakes. The one that is extended up, 24 inches, is dual purpose. If I ever decide to put a Guru on it, that is where I will mount the fan. The second reason is I've got a fake leg so it's easier for me to fine tune from there than to bend over, my right leg is sawed off above the knee. The next one I build I will use 1 inch ball valves. When it's cold and windy, like last night, it doesnt want to run over 350. The only time that matters is when I'm cooking steak, and that's what I was cooking last night. Didn't quite get that sear I was looking for.

Awesome, thanks for the response! Convenience is all good, I didn't know if it was a matter of airflow or what. So the next one would boast a 3/4" and 1" valve, or both the same? Would it matter much if they were mix-matched as such?
(Insert witty signature here)
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

First UDS

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:09 pm

All three would be 1 inch. I'm not sure if it would matter if you mixed and matched, but I would want them all the same size just for looks. The only reason I will upgrade the intakes is to make it a better cold weather and/or windy weather cooker. It might not make a difference, but I figure if I can get more air intake I can make a hotter fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Next one I build will have 1 -2" intake 24" long with a slide damper similar to my exhaust on Big Jim
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

First UDS

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:04 pm

I want my next one to be able to get up to at least 650, easily, for some searing.

bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Put in a second rack and put the basket on it like a Weber without a lid :mrgreen:
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:04 am

Blu, once again I am inspired! I was checking out all the hardware items the other day and found the most expensive items to be the ball valves. With 1" around the 20 dollar mark and up, I was beginning to sweat presentation of the job proposal to my other half. I think I will go with your pictured damper method here! Swamp, I would like to have that same versatility, low n slow, or hot n fast.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:00 am

I have a second rack closer to the basket, I just wasn't sure about doing the steaks there. Thanks for the suggestion Blu.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Txdragon wrote:Blu, once again I am inspired! I was checking out all the hardware items the other day and found the most expensive items to be the ball valves. With 1" around the 20 dollar mark and up, I was beginning to sweat presentation of the job proposal to my other half. I think I will go with your pictured damper method here! Swamp, I would like to have that same versatility, low n slow, or hot n fast.

Go the cheap route PVC valves work just fine as they don't get any hotter than the Ambient air temp and they are 5 bucs or less.
Last edited by BluDawg on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:12 pm

BluDawg wrote:
Txdragon wrote:Blu, once again I am inspired! I was checking out all the hardware items the other day and found the most expensive items to be the ball valves. With 1" around the 20 dollar mark and up, I was beginning to sweat presentation of the job proposal to my other half. I think I will go with your pictured damper method here! Swamp, I would like to have that same versatility, low n slow, or hot n fast.

Go the cheap route PVC valves work gust fine as they don't get any hotter than the Ambient air temp and they are 5 bucs or less.

So a pvc ball valve attached to a short nipple would work? Id figure this would melt pretty fast.. Interesting..
bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Looking good Swamp Donkey. I have wanted to build one but just havent gotten around to it.
BBQ and USF Bulls Football/Tailgating
https://www.facebook.com/fullbullbbq

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

First UDS

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:09 pm

It's one of the best things I've done in a while. The more I cook on it, the more I like it.

txsmokeater USER_AVATAR
txsmokeater
Pilgrim

Postby txsmokeater » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:43 pm

I was inspired by all of the builds I saw here and built one of my own.
I asked the welders at work to make me a basket based on the plans I found on here. They made me one heck of a basket, all stainless steel I think it weights like 23#. It should last me through several drums. I did my first cook yesterday and was really impressed in how smooth it was. As far as lighting it, I filled my basket about 3/4 full, added some wood and set it down in the drum. I used my trusty Harbor Freight weed burner and held in the middle of pile till some lit off and the rest slowly took off. I think I had food on within 30 mins. Held heat for about 8 hours with no problems. I'll be glad to cook more BBQ now! Thanks for all the ideas and photos. I see I need to add some side trays now.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

First UDS

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Nice build! I use mine more, now, than I use my offset.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Good looking UDS but it's to clean I see it has a BulDawg inspired exhaust damper :tup:
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
txsmokeater USER_AVATAR
txsmokeater
Pilgrim

Postby txsmokeater » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Most likely all of it is BluDawg inspired. Why reinvent the wheel. Someone before me spent many years and cooked countless pounds of meat to make the perfect UDS. As I mentioned, I am very happy with the design and all the people that have posted their projects. Thanks again.

BluDawg wrote:Good looking UDS but it's to clean I see it has a BulDawg inspired exhaust damper :tup:

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”