My New J.D. themed UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

the bundling USER_AVATAR
The Bundling
Rustler

Re: My New J.D. themed UDS

Postby The Bundling » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:07 pm

anyone got a good breakdown on how they made one? im sure someone has a youtube video step by setp.
YOUr LOW AND SLOW BRO FROM MN
n224dw USER_AVATAR
N224DW
Pilgrim

Postby N224DW » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:23 pm

The Bundling wrote:anyone got a good breakdown on how they made one? im sure someone has a youtube video step by setp.

There are a few videos on Youtube.... However, I did most of my building research from looking at postings on different forums. Below are a few that I used to get a good idea on how to build a good UDS. These are very basic ways to build. I took these general designs and added my own ideas:

Charcoal basket:
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12848" target="_blank" target="_blank

Basket and a very basic Drum Setup:
http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/gen ... t-1-a.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
--Ugly Drum Smoker w/ John Deere Theme--
--Brinkmann Smoke 'N Grill--

Smoke 'M Low, Smoke 'M Slow!
the bundling USER_AVATAR
The Bundling
Rustler

Postby The Bundling » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:25 am

so on yours it looks like you made some mods. what are thing tubes on the side for? does the stack help?
YOUr LOW AND SLOW BRO FROM MN
n224dw USER_AVATAR
N224DW
Pilgrim

Postby N224DW » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:56 pm

The Bundling wrote:so on yours it looks like you made some mods. what are thing tubes on the side for? does the stack help?

yeah i did some mods..... the tubes on the side are 3/4" by I think 3ft long electric conduit pipes. They just allow me to put the ball valves up higher than ground level. Most UDS builds I found on the internet had the air intakes at ground level, which means you would have to bend over to make a damper adjustment. I saw a UDS somewhere on the net with those conduit pipes added so the air source can be up more at waist level..... go to this site below and you'll see the many different ideas people have done to throw a UDS together. It is a forum thread showing UDS builds and paint jobs....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/89986/uds-paint-jobs" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

As far as the stack goes, it doesn't help or hurt, just looks cool :D . Most builds I found on the net had small pipes, or no pipe at all. Some guys just drilled four 1" holes in the top of the drum lid. The pipe isn't necessary, just gives it attitude....
--Ugly Drum Smoker w/ John Deere Theme--
--Brinkmann Smoke 'N Grill--

Smoke 'M Low, Smoke 'M Slow!
canadianbbqer
Pilgrim

Postby canadianbbqer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Nice job!!!! I moved from a big city in Ontario Canada to a small town in Ontario which is a farm town. The first thing my wife bought me was a John Deer hat :?
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 am

Massey Ferguson silver and red would be cool. Plus it's got that Canuck connection, I seem to recall either Massey or Ferguson was a Canadian. We got Acadians down here (think Egghead claims that) but not many Canadians. My wife's dad was Canadian.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
minnesmoka USER_AVATAR
MinneSmoka
Wrangler

Postby MinneSmoka » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:53 pm

The chrome smokestack really puts it over the top for me. :!: that is a very cool unit.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”