UDS Build

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BigCorey75
Wrangler

UDS Build

Postby BigCorey75 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:46 pm

After much looking I can not find the barrel pit to my liking, so I'm deciding now to undertake my own build, i can get a barrel very easy for cheap and the idea of doing my own build goes deep into my psyche of manliness and fun so i want to under take it

I've watched the videos and looked into it and it seems pretty easy and fun. but i have the idea of making a water smoker, putting a pan of water above my fire grate to help steam and smoke the meat and making double racks for ribs and what not

any pointers and or tips for the first time build?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: UDS Build

Postby BluDawg » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:21 pm

You don't need a water Pan. There is plenty of moisture in a UDS and the temps are very stable. Adding extra moisture will only result in mushy bark, and higher fuel consumption. I've run a ton of meat through mine with exceptional results with out it.
Adding a 2nd rack is a good addition If your running a flat lid top rack 7" below the top and bottom rack 7" below the top rack(14" from the top of the drum. If you using a Weber lid you can put the top 1" below the opening and the 2nd 7" below the top rack.

When installing the close nipples put the inner conduit nut on so the crown goes to the side of the drum an screw the nipples in from the inside. Use some 1" flat washers on the outside and install the outer conduit nut. This is the only method that will keep them tight over time. The washers give more surface area to spread the torque load and by installing the inner nut as described it will bite into the metal locking it in place.

Take some pics of your build I like to see a new pit come to life.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
BigCorey75
Wrangler

Postby BigCorey75 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Yeah good tips, ok without the water pan, and with a dome grill, whats the max number of grates? im thinking 3 or is two the max??
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:47 pm

BluDawg wrote:You don't need a water Pan. There is plenty of moisture in a UDS and the temps are very stable. Adding extra moisture will only result in mushy bark, and higher fuel consumption. I've run a ton of meat through mine with exceptional results with out it.

I prefer a water pan in mine, or a diffuser but I also like to run mine at lower temps than Dawg does. I also do not care for the flavor that happens when the grease renders and drips into the coals, some folks like the flavor some do not this is something you will have to decide on. The water is not for moisture it is a heat sink, my bark is plenty crispy with the pan and fuel consumption is close enough running with or without the pan. I also run pans in both my WSM's Weber recommends this for temp stability not added moisture.
I hope this helps. :)
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
davidtxs USER_AVATAR
Davidtxs
Bandolero

Postby Davidtxs » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:12 pm

`a third one would be pretty close to the fire but would work great for steaks but a long reach. I cheated for my intakes i took a grinder and cut 4 holes around and use fridge magnets it was cheaper.

Academy has the weber replacements grates the ones that are hinged and flat also
When I grow up I wanna be EITHER

Jethro Gibbs thats TW0 B's Second is for
OR
Redneck Cooker "watch out Trigg"
So If any teams want a reasonable website let me know
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:40 am

I don't cook on a UDS,but I do use a vertical (it's ceramic).
Waterpans do NOTHING but act as a heat deflector. You can put sand in them,as many people do,or use a flat piece of metal or a pizza stone and get the same effect. Water pans do not add moisture to the meat,that's a stone myth.

dub(avoid the hassle)
BigCorey75
Wrangler

Postby BigCorey75 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:29 pm

Alright, no water pan, and im going to use a webber dome grill and make room for three grates, one at the very top, then 7 inches of space between each one, this should be enough to house racks of spare ribs on their sides. should be getting a barrel here soon and have it set to burn, then spend the next day putting it together then go buy my grill grates, lid and fire grate
BigCorey75
Wrangler

Postby BigCorey75 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Quick update.

Got a barrel and so far ive drilled all my holes for the air vents and grill grates and ive burned it out already, so i was busy all this week, so this weekend im going to buy grill grates, screws and sand paper and what not, and assemble, then paint her up next weekend and find me a top for it and then hopefully get myself a good rib burn on it and do myself some ribs and see how this baby works. I shall post some pics when its all put together and ill post pics of my first cook off of it
BigCorey75
Wrangler

Postby BigCorey75 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:27 pm

smoker is finished!!! wanted to use it this past weekend but i was dealing with a stomach bug, gonna be busy this weekend, so next weekend it shall get its first test run, she looks good
BigCorey75
Wrangler

Postby BigCorey75 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:58 pm

ok ran my first test cook today, tricky weather, it was chilly and windy outside, just did two slabs of st louis spare ribs as a test run. Getting the temp to settle where i wanted was tricky at first, had to play around with diff valve openings and what now, didnt help that i had a strong wind coming from one side which lead to the temp rising too high in some openings and too low in others but once i got the confuguration right, it got 275 and held long and strong.

Overall review. The rig works darn well, i just had to learn how to adjust it, the meat turned out well, tad over cooked because the pit ran closer to 300 and not my wanted 250 for most of the cook and i used a slightly different technique. So now i know how it works and how it breathes my next cook next week should be a lot better and i think i have a great rig on my hands

thanks to all who gave tips, ill be posting pics of my next cook for sure..
BigCorey75
Wrangler

Postby BigCorey75 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Ok second cook on the smoker, much much better weather today and man, i love this thing, i had some boar sausage, slab of ribs and pork butt on there, and its come to my knowledge this darn thing can hold 9 pork butts or 6 briskets, or 21 slabs of ribs, its amazing how much stuff u can fit in this darn thing.

So far shes smoking like a champ meat looks beautiful, holding better 250-275 tempurature better, and im loving every minute of using this thing, this will definetly be my new toy for the weekends
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:09 pm

I knew you was gonna like it. Now lets see some photos, cooker and results. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
BigCorey75
Wrangler

Postby BigCorey75 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Here is my UDS finally and this thing is awesome I love it

Here is it next to my webber smoking up some chicken right about n
BigCorey75
Wrangler

Postby BigCorey75 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:40 pm

btw the webber is the one cooking my UDS is silent today, may crank her up for thanksgiving, havent made up my mine as of yet
BigCorey75
Wrangler

Postby BigCorey75 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:38 pm

couple shots of my uds in action and some of the results, i love this thing more and more each time i use it

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”