Looking for Help with a UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Txbbqman_2
Pilgrim

Looking for Help with a UDS

Postby Txbbqman_2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Howdy gang,

If and when I sell the Lang, I am wanting to go with 1 or 2 UDS. I did a quick search and didnt see anything on how to build one.

Would anyone like to offer some help, or is anyone willing to build a couple for a guy that has NO time to do it himself?

Will also be needing instruction on how to use :banghead:

Brad
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Re: Looking for Help with a UDS

Postby ecto1 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Txbbqman_2 wrote:Howdy gang,

If and when I sell the Lang, I am wanting to go with 1 or 2 UDS. I did a quick search and didnt see anything on how to build one.

Would anyone like to offer some help, or is anyone willing to build a couple for a guy that has NO time to do it himself?

Will also be needing instruction on how to use :banghead:

Brad

I have built several UDS smokers this summer check out my Facebook page to see a few of the builds. What part of Texas are you in? UDS are great smokers.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:53 am

No need to leave the best BBQ forum on the net:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3613&start=0
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 am

I understand the ball valve is to control air intake, but what do the pip nipples do if they are capped?
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:51 am

TXLNGHRN wrote:I understand the ball valve is to control air intake, but what do the pip nipples do if they are capped?

The pipe nipples are there to sub for a ball valve since they are so expensive. Lets say you want 1 1/2 holes open you just take one cap off and leave the ball valve half way open. I find when I have my ball valve open 1/2 way I hit 225 consistently all the way open is 250 every cap after that raises the temp about 25 to 30 degrees.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
Txbbqman_2
Pilgrim

Postby Txbbqman_2 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Looks good Fat Ash, I am in Bryan / College Station area and I do not mind driving to pick them up. I drive for a living

Shoot me an e-mail jbradchappell@gmail.com with prices if you dont mind

Brad
bigdaddydanbbq USER_AVATAR
bigdaddydanbbq
Wrangler

Postby bigdaddydanbbq » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:59 pm

After you build your first one you will wonder why you waited so long. My stick burner served me well for ten years,but has set dormant for the last month since building my UDS. They use less fuel and are very easy to use. :texas:
Oklahoma Joe New Braunfels and Big Blue Q UDS
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:28 pm

bigdaddydanbbq wrote:After you build your first one you will wonder why you waited so long. My stick burner served me well for ten years,but has set dormant for the last month since building my UDS. They use less fuel and are very easy to use. :texas:

What he said, plus you get to be the master of time and temperature! I have never had so much fun cranking out good grub in my life! Today I set up a brisket at 7:30AM and then just went about my business and didn't worry about it. Came back at 3PM and found it sitting at 210F and had no trouble throttling it back up to 250. Finished it at around 6:30, wrapped it up and let it rest until 8. When I unwrapped it was tender and juicey there were parts falling off when I handled it! (mostly bark points) Everything I have cooked on my UDS has been amazing. Baby Back Ribs, Beef Ribs, Lamb, Salmon, Beer Butt Chickens, Sausage and of course..Briskato!!! :D

My old stickburner's firebox rusted out and I was thinking about ways to rehab it. Now that I have a UDS I think it will soon be on Craig's List. :wink:
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”