UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cowboy45
Pilgrim

UDS

Postby cowboy45 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:16 pm

I have patiently accumulated everything to build my UDS. Scored the 22 in weber yesterday for 10 bucks. I understand the method of basic assembly, but I want to know if anyone has any special tricks. I figure when it's all done I will have less than $50 in it. Black pipe nipples versus ball valve, fridge magnets etc. I have stainless steel for a shelf and casters for rolling around. Any and all suggestions would be great. :D
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: UDS

Postby BluDawg » Wed May 25, 2011 2:06 pm

OK I'll play.two of the biggest problems that I see in building a UDS are MY LID Don't Fit & I Suffer From LOOSE NIPPLES. Since you will be using a weber Lid lets start there. If you lid is a little small and most are this is the best fix: use the bottom of the kettle and cut it off 2-3" below the Lid flange and install it into the top of the drum either by welding or drill some holes and use 12X24 machine screws. The lid will fit perfectly.

LOOSE NIPPLES: drill 7/8" holes for the pipe nipples to thread into (Use Close Nipples) thread a 3/4" conduit nut on each nipple so that the little tabs are facing the drum. Screw the nipples in from the inside until the conduit nut comes int contact with the drum. slide 2 1" cut washers over the nipples on the outside and install another conduit nut on the outside tabs facing the drum. Using a flat tip screwdriver and a hammer tighten the inside nuts then the outside ones. I highly recommend at least 1 ball valve. and PVC pipe caps for your nipples(rust Sucks). I installed a VHF conduit nut in the side of mine to run the leads of my thermo through for a buck it is a nice addition.
Have fun If you run into problems I'm only a PM away.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:18 pm

I double the loose nipples. I have built several and have had success with 1/2 inch and 3/4 in ball valves as well. I think 3/4 is the sweet size for my cooking. I cook everything at 225 and a 3/4 inch ball valve will settle in at 225 almost every time. Each one is diffent I would not make mine any other way than ball valves and pipe nipples.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
cowboy45
Pilgrim

Postby cowboy45 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:22 pm

Loose nipples sounds kinda painful.HAHAHA!I was planning on using the conduit nuts and high heat silicone to seal.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”