Build a UDS????

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Build a UDS????

Postby Speed » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:40 am

So, I've been reading alot about everyones build and using a UDS. Are they really all they are cracked up to be? I know they are easy and cheap to make but is that the main allure of them? Does the food really cook that much better on them? If so, why even bother purchasing an insulated vertical smoker? Just some random thoughts I had today, hopefully you can clarify my foggy mind........ :lol:
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Re: Build a UDS????

Postby ecto1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Love my UDS smoker the big allure is how efficient they are with fuel. This weekend I cooked two pork butts for 12 hours on 4 pounds of lump. I like the fact that I made them with my own two hands even though I have no building skills. I can zero in on the temp I want leave for a few and when I come back it is still at that temp. One down fall is we need 4 to 5 for a cook off and temps can spike when you open that lid. All in all great smokers.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:44 pm

I dont know that the food taste any better, but for me its like echo said, its the efficiency of it. I can use 1/3 bag of charcoal with a couple of wood chunks and have had that going for over 24 hours without adding any fuel or even stoking the fire. I made slight adjustments every 5-6 hours. I have been known to go to bed after I got the temp dialed in and after waking the next morning I have a perfect brisket!

The only drawback that I see is the limited amount of cooking surface.

To be honest I thought that the UDS was a dumb idea and fought building one. I finally had to try it and am so glad that I did. Best idea since sliced bread.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:10 pm

I thought I was the only guy who slept and smoked using the UDS.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
mechnech USER_AVATAR
Mechnech
Bandolero

Postby Mechnech » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Well if you are interested, if ya do make De Leon I will have mine there, have done brisket and butts on them and they do good, I prefer to do chicken on them as i can get the temp up without messing with my other meats on the pit. Just got through last week burning out another drum, some hardware installed, and if ya want we might load it up for ya. I can't affoard the ceramics or insulated's so I make do, and does well most times. But then againt I like natty lites.
Shop built Reverse Flow Smoker
UDS
Weber Genesis E-320
More CI than I can carry
Rooster
Cowboy

Postby Rooster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Mechnech wrote: But then againt I like natty lites.

You and me would get a long mo betta than good!
gizmo USER_AVATAR
Gizmo
Rustler

Postby Gizmo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm with the rest of the guys, fuel efficiency. Ease of use is also very nice. It's super nice to not have to sit around and poke the fire. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is nice to know when you get her set up, you don't have to worry about it. I'm fixing to build my second UDS. When I get it finished, my offset will probably be up for sale.

Various weather will be where the insulated smoker will shine. IMO, I couldn't see where it would make $3,000 worth of difference. The insulated smokers are beautiful and would probably impress some folks, but there is something about pullin' some awesome Que off of my $60 ugly drum that took about 4 hours to build.

UDS's do make it uncomfortable for me though. You know, from sittin' all crooked with that extra money in my wallet. :D
It's okay to disagree with me......you can be wrong if you want to. :P
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:44 am

Mechnech wrote:Well if you are interested, if ya do make De Leon I will have mine there, have done brisket and butts on them and they do good, I prefer to do chicken on them as i can get the temp up without messing with my other meats on the pit. Just got through last week burning out another drum, some hardware installed, and if ya want we might load it up for ya. I can't affoard the ceramics or insulated's so I make do, and does well most times. But then againt I like natty lites.

I'll check it out for sure. I think I have a drum at the house and might make one before I come out there to DeLeon. I was thinking about using it for my chicken as well. I look forward to seeing yours!

Ox190
Bandolero

Postby Ox190 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:08 pm

I love my UDS, haven't fired it up in a while, might have to do that this weekend.
Custom vertical offset.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Ox190 wrote:I love my UDS, haven't fired it up in a while, might have to do that this weekend.

What you waitin on cowboy? :mrgreen: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
tuck USER_AVATAR
Tuck
Bandolero

Postby Tuck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:11 am

Speed :

I have built the PDS ' Purdy Drum Smoker' and love it ! oN Another forum there a a large group of backyard smokers and there is documented data that there is a 30 hour smoke time . Not on mine I like my sleep ,but a buddy in Tulsa puts a BBQ Guru on his and goes to work , now I think that is a little overkill but what do I know , $350.00 worth of electronics on a $60.00 drum ??

The other forum is the Q Joint and these are my two homes I have been out to Smoke Ring and looked at a lot of others and I am home .

That is my .02 cents worth.

later
Tuck
:smokin:
Porkaholic : No Need to Rehabilitate !

"Incoming gunfire has the right of way!"
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess thats one of the first things I'll do when I get home. I already have some drums at the house to use.

oldschoolbbq USER_AVATAR
oldschoolbbq
Pilgrim

Postby oldschoolbbq » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Speed, evidently you haven't contracted O.S.D. or are immune to it's effects :?:
When you feel you know you need one of these and actually collect the materials to create one;you'll know what O.S.D. is and can do to a man and his spare time. :wink:
Have fun and remember to,
Smoke Happy ;}-
3Cs BBQ Co
Wrangler

Postby 3Cs BBQ Co » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 am

Can't go wrong, I've built 18 to date.. Fuel efficiency, easy to use, reliable, no brainer. Everyone needs a couple. I do my chicken and ribs on the trash can at comps.. Love having a couple at the house and a couple at the shack. Sweet cookers !!
3Cs BBQ Co.
Competition & Catering
3Cs BBQ Shack
"Roadside BBQ that bites YOU back"
Ol Betsy (Homemade 250 Gal Offset)
2 U.D.S.
2 Weber Kettles

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”