1st UDS build

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gizmo USER_AVATAR
Gizmo
Rustler

1st UDS build

Postby Gizmo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 pm

I've finally decided to build a UDS. After reading about how happy everyone is with theirs and how good they cook, I gotta have one. Been doing a little studying and looking at other Uglys for ideas. Went to Acadmey and bought a 22.5" kettle for the parts. Bought a Char-Broil/Outdoor Gourmet for $28. Not bad for a lid, grate, wheels and handles. Went and picked up a barrel today for $10. Now it's time to get with it. Gonna try to keep pics updated, been having trouble with my computer letting me log in. Gator's workin' with me on that. What do y'all think about the air intake on it? Seen quite a few with pipe nipples welded in and capped. Do y'all think that drilled holes with an adjustable slide will work just as well? Thanks to everybody for all the info.
It's okay to disagree with me......you can be wrong if you want to. :P
tuck USER_AVATAR
Tuck
Bandolero

Re: 1st UDS build

Postby Tuck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Here is some help if you need it
Later
Tuck
8)

P.S. The youtube video by the Garica Brothers Great ! The Music TOO
Last edited by Tuck on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Porkaholic : No Need to Rehabilitate !

"Incoming gunfire has the right of way!"
johnboy
Pilgrim

Postby johnboy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:26 am

Im there with you. I will start mine this weekend. Dont know why??? But I am. jb
gizmo USER_AVATAR
Gizmo
Rustler

Postby Gizmo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Got the barrel stripped down and ready to drill all the holes. Nothing a rosebud couldn't handle. Wish I had more time to work on it. Just gettin to work on it at dinner time and in my two 15 minute breaks. Gonna be seasoning her this weekend if everything goes right. I'm ready to see how she performs. If she does like everybody they do, I'm fixing to build another one and put my pit up for sale. I'll have more pics coming.
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 pm

Man love my Drum building 4 more in the next few weeks. Should give me all the cooking room I will ever need. Will be an army of six drum smokers. First cook-off we went to we just took two and wish we had three more food went so fast cooked 6 whole chickens on one Drum and ribs on the other needed room for a brisket some more ribs and lots of extras. Can cook for an army on one bag of lump. And a log of pecan chunked up
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
gizmo USER_AVATAR
Gizmo
Rustler

Postby Gizmo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Well, starting to look like a ugly. It's slowly coming around. I need to get started on my charcoal basket now. I've got everything all cut out and ready, just need to put it together. After I get done with my charcoal basket, I think I'm going to build and try a convection plate. If it dosen't work I can take it out. I'm ready to see some ribs comin' off a this baby. :)
3Cs BBQ Co
Wrangler

Postby 3Cs BBQ Co » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Lookin good.. I've built several of em, some are really ugly. But they all work flawlessly, the fuel efficiency compared to my big stick burner, not even funny.. Keep us posted and keep on keepin on..
3Cs BBQ Co.
Competition & Catering
3Cs BBQ Shack
"Roadside BBQ that bites YOU back"
Ol Betsy (Homemade 250 Gal Offset)
2 U.D.S.
2 Weber Kettles
gizmo USER_AVATAR
Gizmo
Rustler

Postby Gizmo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks 3c's. I decided to go against the convection plate by keeping KISS in mind. I got to thinking, if I put the plate in, it would make it hard to shake the ash out of the basket without having to unload it being that I have no door. I did get around to finishing my charcoal basket and tearing her down & applying the first coat of paint. Gonna finish painting her tommorow and get her seasoned this projected 70* January weekend. Looks like it was meant to happen. I've got to get back to Academy to buy one more thermometer. Gonna put one just below the bottom grate and one in the lid. Shouldn't be too much longer and I'll be pullin' meat off this baby. :D
gizmo USER_AVATAR
Gizmo
Rustler

Postby Gizmo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:05 pm

Well guys, Got her seasoned today. Awesome! It held temperatures like a champ. Quick to come up to temp, easy to regulate, hours and hours of consistant heat. I can't tell you how pleased I am with it so far. She's all ready for her first cook now. I'm thinking some good 'ol ribs next weekend. As you can tell, she ain't nothin' special. Just a basic black, plain jane UDS. After I see exactly how she cooks next weekend, I'll decide wether or not I'm going to build another one. If it does like I'm thinkin' it will, keep an eye out for my trailer pit in the horse tradin' section. Thanks to everyone for posting their previous builds and experiences on here.
3Cs BBQ Co
Wrangler

Postby 3Cs BBQ Co » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:02 am

Gizmo, I've got an exact twin !! I can't figure out how to post pics, I've been trying to post some. They look identical, good job brother. Amazing how they hold temps with simple design. Keep pics coming, food pics !! Enjoy
Chad
3Cs BBQ Co.
Competition & Catering
3Cs BBQ Shack
"Roadside BBQ that bites YOU back"
Ol Betsy (Homemade 250 Gal Offset)
2 U.D.S.
2 Weber Kettles
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 am

What lid is that is it off the walmart grill? Did you buy it new or find it. If you ever need to buy one I get the grill from Big Lots for 20 bucks and get a cooking grate and a lid. I also look at craigslist for lids all the time.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

gizmo USER_AVATAR
Gizmo
Rustler

Postby Gizmo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:47 am

The lid is a new one off of a outdoor gourmet kettle from Acadmey. I bought the grill for $28 and used the grate, lid & handles like you are talking about. Didn't get a chance to go to Big Lots to check and see if they had a grill or not. I saw that Acadmey had this one for $28 and decided to get it since I was buying my thermometers there anyway.
Last edited by Gizmo on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 am

Gizmo wrote:The lid is a new one off of a gourmet outdoors kettle from Acadmey. I bought the grill for $28 and used the grate, lid & handles like you are talking about. Didn't get a chance to go to Big Lots to check and see if they had a grill or not. I saw that Acadmey had this one for $28 and decided to get it since I was buying my thermometers there anyway.

About the same price either way looks good once i started cooking on a UDS I gave my stick burner to my dad to keep at the ranch. I just didn't have enough room for it I can make half a dozen UDS smokers and keep them in the back yard no problem here in the suburbs and I can cook for 20 people easy with two of them I have to be a little creative when it comes to ribs but everything else fits just fine.

gizmo USER_AVATAR
Gizmo
Rustler

Postby Gizmo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:43 pm

I bought my first rib rack the other night at Lowes. It holds six racks of ribs and will fit in the UDS just right. I have never bbq'd ribs in a rack. I usually lay them flat in my offset but I'm ready to see how they do in the rack.
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Here are three racks of spares trimmed St. Lois Style on a rack as soon as you get some bull back they lay down just fine. Before the pull back just a little too big to fit the three racks lon backs are no problen it is spares that can give you an issue.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”