U S D Barrel Smokers

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tuck USER_AVATAR
Tuck
Bandolero

U S D Barrel Smokers

Postby Tuck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:28 pm

I have seen a couple that just looked great !
Am curious as to what the pipe on the side does ?
And where I would get a set of plans/instructions on building one ?
Porkaholic : No Need to Rehabilitate !

"Incoming gunfire has the right of way!"
mechnech USER_AVATAR
Mechnech
Bandolero

Re: U S D Barrel Smokers

Postby Mechnech » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:17 pm

If you are talking about the small upright some have, air intake. They are simple to build, do a search on here for UDS. I'll look and get back if no gets there first.
Shop built Reverse Flow Smoker
UDS
Weber Genesis E-320
More CI than I can carry
bbq mike USER_AVATAR
BBQ Mike
Rustler

Postby BBQ Mike » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:12 pm

I built mine with the help of BluDawg on this forum. He furnished me some great instructions.
Mike

Boondock Cookers, We do all our own stunts!
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:32 pm

I have cooked on all kinds of smokers/Pits and IMHO there is no easier was to cook for under $1000 than a UDS. I own two and plan to build 4 more that will give me the cooking capacity of some trailer pits. Now if I could I would love to own a Gator or a Lang but right now that is just not feesable for me. The pipe on the side is for oxygen intake to control temps. On ours we don't add the pipe but put a 90 degree elbow so we can see how much of the ball valve is open. Look up ectorgarcia on Youtube and my brother and I made a video of us building our smokers.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:06 pm

ecto1 wrote:I have cooked on all kinds of smokers/Pits and IMHO there is no easier was to cook for under $1000 than a UDS. I own two and plan to build 4 more that will give me the cooking capacity of some trailer pits. Now if I could I would love to own a Gator or a Lang but right now that is just not feesable for me. The pipe on the side is for oxygen intake to control temps. On ours we don't add the pipe but put a 90 degree elbow so we can see how much of the ball valve is open. Look up ectorgarcia on Youtube and my brother and I made a video of us building our smokers.

Bet you meant $100.00 :wink: 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tuck USER_AVATAR
Tuck
Bandolero

Postby Tuck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:49 pm

ecto1 wrote:I have cooked on all kinds of smokers/Pits and IMHO there is no easier was to cook for under $1000 than a UDS. I own two and plan to build 4 more that will give me the cooking capacity of some trailer pits. Now if I could I would love to own a Gator or a Lang but right now that is just not feesable for me. The pipe on the side is for oxygen intake to control temps. On ours we don't add the pipe but put a 90 degree elbow so we can see how much of the ball valve is open. Look up ectorgarcia on Youtube and my brother and I made a video of us building our smokers.

I have watched and loved the music & the little one on the swing in the backyard . But I got some of the best info from the video and will watch it more times in the future ! I also agree that it more of a budget thing to do more barrels to increase cooking capacity and agree . I got that there was the typo for $100 not $1000, thanks
Porkaholic : No Need to Rehabilitate !

"Incoming gunfire has the right of way!"
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Woops one to many zeros is right
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”