Maiden Voyage of my 1st UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

baldmankev USER_AVATAR
baldmankev
Pilgrim

Maiden Voyage of my 1st UDS

Postby baldmankev » Mon May 10, 2010 6:58 am

I finished building my very first UDS Friday after work. Much thanks to all who answered my questions, all who posted in the past on this site and thanks to OSD for his fine illustrations of the UDS he has on his website. :mrgreen:

I slathered the innards with veggie oil for the trial run/seasoning of my UDS. Lit my chimney starter and dumped a half-dozen hot coals on top of 10 lbs of Kingsford and 4 chunks of pecan (I am using the Minion Method). Official start time is 3am on Saturday morning. :shock: I wouldn’t have normally got up that early just to season a new smoker but I also put a couple of pork butts on old faithful (Char-Broil offset) to take to a birthday party later Saturday night. :wink:

From the start, everything worked perfectly on the UDS. I have 3 air-intakes (Two 3/4" nipples and one 3/4 ball valve) and I have 8 exhaust holes (3/4" diameter) evenly spaced in the lid. All 3 intakes were wide open when I started and the temp kicked up to 300 in about 20 minutes so I capped the 2 nipple intakes. The temp dropped to 250 and didn’t move for 4 hours. Then at a little after 7am, as the sun was starting to come up, the temp spiked up to 400 so I closed the ball valve halfway. :o Al that seemed to do was stop the temp increase because I couldn't get the temp to come decrease.

After half an hour and the temp still hovering around 400, I shut my ball valve almost completely closed. Still no change in the temp.:x Then it hit me, when it was still dark outside, the air was dead calm. As day broke a gentle breeze started. So, I ran into the garage and got 3 pieces of 1/4" scrap plywood and some 2x4's and jimmy-rigged a windshield. :|

The temp slowly started to fall and got as low as 300 but never got any lower than that. That UDS held at 300 until 2:30 Saturday afternoon (11.5 hours without having to add or stir the charcoal). It did what it was supposed to do and I love it. So if I can get the temp issue squared away, I will be one happy feller.

Can anyone help me out?
Baldmankev

Char-Broil Offset (old reliable)
Ugly Drum Smoker (I think it's purty)
Nexgrill 5 burner, Side-burner & Rotisserie
Ox190
Bandolero

Re: Maiden Voyage of my 1st UDS

Postby Ox190 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:30 am

Get some magnets to put on your lid to choke your exhaust. That will help bring your temp down.
Custom vertical offset.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 10, 2010 7:54 am

I think Ox is onto something. Eight 3/4" exhausts maybe a tad too much.

Area = radius squared X pi

Diameter = 0.75", so radius is 0.375" so each exhaust is .4418". Multiply that by 8 (exhausts) and you get 3.5343" inches of exhaust area. Seems to me the magic number is 3.0", so covering up one or more of the exhaust holes may help in controlling the temps.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
baldmankev USER_AVATAR
baldmankev
Pilgrim

Postby baldmankev » Mon May 10, 2010 10:00 am

thanks Ox and DATS...I think yall are right and I will grab the old Dominos magnet off the fridge and use it the next time I fire it up. :mrgreen:
Baldmankev

Char-Broil Offset (old reliable)
Ugly Drum Smoker (I think it's purty)
Nexgrill 5 burner, Side-burner & Rotisserie
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon May 10, 2010 11:26 pm

Great job on the UDS, :thap:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”